Yep, that's right, more potty talk...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, it takes at least a year.

if you are traveling from a home base that you return to every few weeks, I think you could make a bucket toilet and humanure compost heap work in an RV. But there is no genuine composting toilet for an RV. The closest would be one of those toilets that burns your waste using electricity. I'm not sure they even make them anymore.

It's free to download a condensed version of The Humanure Handbook. I think every person who lives without regular access to a sewer-connected flush toilet should read it, frankly. 

https://humanurehandbook.com

So just a thought, in more populated VD areas, and that's Van Dwellers, where this has potential of becoming an issue, a waste station could be setup to handle such matters.
Partner up with a local landowner or something, maybe just a shit hole, or something could actually be made. Kind of like a pit stop if you will for VDers.

I am wondering how far you can pull a Blueboy behind your car before you tear it up?

I looks like I will be a couple of miles out in the desert, will the wheels handle a rough ride without giving up?

I think I found my answer. I can replace the wheels with a much stronger set and use a cotter pin to hold them on.

I think I would buy the 28gal tank.

I noticed the plastic wheels start to grind off after a few miles on asphalt so I started using a pickup truck to carry it and a macerater pump. Then I started using a furniture dolly under it and just set the handle over a trailer ball but did have a few accidents. Couple years ago I bought a cheap utility tilt trailer and put 55 gallon drum racks with 2 white/clear plastic drums on it. One for black water and one for potable water that works great. It just hooks up to my Samurai’s trailer hitch. Since it has it’s own fresh water pump with a jumper pack it can be used directly on it’s own or for the RV hooked directly to the city water inlet or pumped in the fresh water gravity fill to the RV’s water storage tank. Since I have a yearly leased lot I can store it there and don’t have to move my RV. If I were with a group or caravan traveling I think this would be a great idea for a community project.

I found a better set of hard rubber wheels and better axle. I don't know if I need one yet, but looking into it.

Also I found a way I can haul fresh water to the RV and pump it in without having to break camp.

" will the wheels handle a rough ride without giving up?"

not at all.

your best option is not to try to tow the blue boy at all unless it's for a very short distance inside a campground on a hard improved surface. Bullfrog's suggestion of a macerator pump and the blue boy in the back of a trailer or pickup truck is the best option.

highdesertranger

They sell bladders just for potable water as well. But I never have used one.

You will need pneumatic tires at least.  28 gallons is ~225 lbs. of sh!t.

how many wheels does yours have? mine had 4 wheels and those wouldn't fit on mine. highdesertranger

Rena bought a Camco last year while in YARC camp.......One mile into the first trip to the dump the wheels fell off........Shite leaking !

I helped "bag" the tank and lift it into her boyfriends truck.....NO blue boy for me....Break camp and DUMP !

The one I have is probably 15 years old, is blue, 36 gallons and does have the metal tow bar for a hitch. The wheels are not near as good as the new ones it appears. I got in the habit of not fully filling it, usually less than 30 gallons to keep the pressure from causing leaks while sealed up in transport. I babied mine as I don’t have a lot of money and didn’t think it would stand much abuse even after watching others abuse theirs much worse but eventually having problems causing them to just buy another. It is convenient to be able to gravity dump as it is lower to the ground. But a 55 gallon drum (about $15 a little more for a food grade potable water one) which is much sturdier can be used with a macerater pump and mounted on a barrel dolly which the handle can be modified to a trailer hitch. It is not near as pretty as the blue boy that is easily mounted on a ladder rack but can be made to mount there as well, it just sticks out more. Solid tires will require you move it at a snails pace full as if you bounce much you will bend or break axles, mounts, or wheels and cause leakage due to the liquid hammering the seals. They used a short axle for a reason. Pneumatic tires will really help but you will need to go slow to keep from tipping on uneven roads or curves. I actually mounted mine on a dolly with pneumatic tires for a while but still it was slow going. For me the sprung tilt trailer solved all that. I got it on sale (less than $300 at Harbor Freight) and shortened it. For the price the blue boy is probably the best deal but you still have to dump twice, once to get it in the blue boy and to then dump the blue boy and move really slowly like couple hours to get to the dump station if not on asphalt and a mile away.

Its probably easier to just break camp, go fill, dump and come back.

Yep. You really need to learn to minimize the amount that goes into your tanks and get to a point you can go 14 days as that is the limit on most free BLM land and you will have to travel anyway which makes it the most efficient way as well. Long term stays are about the only time the trailer makes sense.

My fresh tank holds 50 gals, and the 2 waste tanks will hold 50 gals combined (22 Black 28 Grey). I do plan to equalize the tanks when I need it. I know I can go 14 days without emptying the tanks, I was don't like having to break camp to dump and refill.

I have ordered a Macerator for the tanks, I use a garden hose to dump the tanks.

The pumping service is well worth the price for me at 45 bucks. You have about the same black capacity as me, and more grey capacity. I am super conservative with water (as in I don't flush with fresh water) and have the pump truck coming once every three weeks. No waiting in line at the LTVA dump station for me!

We all spend money and time in ways that enhance our lives. I'm super frugal on groceries and eat well for cheap. I also like to cook, so nearly everything is from scratch, right down to my bread and yogurt, and when in the right weather, ginger beer, too. This pumping service makes me happy and saves my back, and is therefore a bargain to me. :)

I normally use bottled water for drinking and cooking and the onboard water to bathing and cleaning.