Need a mattress for my sleeping platform...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, you will not feel the "gaps" in a tri-fold mattress, for the reason Maki said.  The quality and attributes of foam in them varies, and I agree that you will need to replace the foam fairly often.  The tri-fold format has a lot of advantages, IMO.  At one time, we tried going with a higher density foam for longevity, but found it too heavy to fold and unfold every day after awhile.

There is a lot to discover about foam thickness, density and firmness and how those things inter-relate.  More than one type of foam may be what you ultimately find most comfortable, but would also recommend keeping it relatively inexpensive at the outset.  I agree that the guys at Military Supply House really know their stuff!

Our bed was super comfortable, until it wasn''t (again).  Last week, we replaced the core foam with a 3" thick piece of HQ HD36 from Foam Factory.  They call it "medium" firmness, but I have used their foams before and find both varieties of the HD36 quite firm.  Adding additional thickness to it makes it downright hard IMO (yes, I've tried that).  The HQ (2.5 density) holds up much better to our use (300#'s combined; active).

This time around, I've added a 2" thick "soft" latex topper (we hate memory foam).  Hospitology makes an awesome, washable "down alternative" mattress pad that we also use.

I'll post an update after a couple nights' sleep.

Oldwolf said:
...I have located a 4" foam tri-fold (2.5" HD + 1.5" Memory) and my wife will help me make a mattress cover for it.
Looks like a good find.  Let us know how you like it, okay?

The mattress arrived and I now have it on my sleeping platform. The mattress is made well and should be comfortable enough. I ended up getting a sleeping bag liner and am using it as a mattress cover. My sleeping platform is pretty heavy duty, maybe too much so (although I do have 14" clearance under it). It uses two shortened sawhorse's for front and back for support, and the platform is built with 2x4's and 2x2's.

I am in my "Phase-1" trials still, and after one season of trying it out may make some changes to it. Still need some shelving in the rear of the van to hold supplies, and will begin working on that soon. My "plan" will utilize the structure of the rear shelving framing to take the place of the rearward sawhorse. Still have the rear right-side seat installed and a spare tire in there, pardon my clutter please.

20200208_101956.jpg

20200214_085901.jpg

20200214_085917.jpg

Attachments

• 20200214_085901.jpg
    20200214_085901.jpg
    771.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200214_085917.jpg
    20200214_085917.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200208_101956.jpg
    20200208_101956.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Hi, I use a couple of mattresses . One is 4" thick . Half memory foam and half foam. The other mattress is a 3" thick , and They're comfortable enough for me. I've had three back ops. By the way? Anybody near Panama City Beach? . HoboJoe

I was looking at the Tri Fold Mattress for my build but It seemed to have a lot of negative reviews. I started looking at 3 Toddler Mattresses. Just not sure if they will be firm enough. It works out only a few dollars more than the Tri Fold Mattress and the same size final dimensions.

I found the tri-folds to be too firm for me. Also, my cot was too narrow for the ones I had already. So I left them folded and stacked them next to each other they fit the cot perfectly that way. I added an egg crate mattress on top and now have a very comfy bed.

Old Wolf:  Thanks for the update.  Your sawhorse idea is very innovative!

As promised, here's my update:  The 3" HQ HD36 Foam Factory base, topped with 2" of soft latex (from Sleep on Latex) did not work well for us.  We woke up with sore hips (side sleepers), and my husband (200+ lbs.) thinks he could feel the frame.  A 4" base would have been even harder.  The second night was slightly better, after throwing a comforter on top.

So...  I unzipped the generously sized home made cover and put the three(!) layers of convoluted foam from our old bed between the base layer and latex topper.  We haven't spent a full night on it yet, but have had some sweet, long naps.  I really do like the latex, BTW.

Here's to many great nights for all!

I have 2" of memory foam over 10" of latex. I sleep best in the van. In fact the covers aren't moved at all in the morning.

This reminds me it was a great idea to keep a good relationship with exes but alas' they dont sew. Lol.

TMooney said:
This reminds me it was a great idea to keep a good relationship with exes but alas' they dont sew. Lol.
I guess that means you will have to learn to sew. Don't worry, it is not all that hard to learn how to use a sewing machine. It has actually always been a male as well as female profession. There are 6 guys in this building who make sails and other canvas work items. They are busy all the time and participate in racing crews, live on their boats at the marina up the street as well. Their workshop turns into party central during the racing season.

TMooney said:
. Machines cost less than collecting exes ;)