Auxiliary Charging System

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peak inrush current is less than a second when the internal capacitors are charging up. The current will drop rapidly from there, leveling off to the 'normal' current requirements. Normally it is such a short duration that the breakers or fuses will not trip even if they are rated at 20, 25 or 30 amps. Peak inrush current is not the same as the peak current when a compressor or motor is starting up, it is similar but MUCH shorter in duration.

A typical TT-30 plug and receptacle is rated at 30 amps...but here is the tricky part: Other items like the microwave and the roof air will be using some of that, so you never have that full current for a converter. But, as you plug the RV in to the 30 amp shore supply, there may be a very brief spike of inrush current to the converter, but the roof air and the microwave will not normally be operating in the first few seconds of being plugged in, even if they were turned on.

But, if that PD45 is being used in a larger RV on a 50 amp RV circuit then there will be no problems at all.

Freelander said:
I contacted Progressive Dynamics about using one of there PD9145A – 45 Amp Electronic Power Converters on a small Honda Generator, and they say it can take unto 32 amps to start it. I looked at the 30 Amp unit and it says the same thing.

So I guess that's out.
Freelander, these sales people mis quote stuff all of the time as in a little fan needs a 15 amp circuit which started as "can be ran on a 15 amp household circuit." That is not a motor with locked rotor current at 4 times the running current.  Do it, it will work, it makes no sense what the "sales person" is saying with that exaggerated amperage. I am going to be doing the EXACT SAME thing your doing except I have ordered AIMS 12/24 because my system is 24V, what I like about this one is it has a potentiometer to throttle the charge rate and it's good for LiFePO4.  I am doing this for bad weather days and shady camping places, etc simply backup energy and I already have a Honda EU1000i, oh, for your information, the 1000 will start a 5000 Btu AC all day long in Eco mode  and even on hot days where the head pressure is higher than normal. Good luck Freelander.....AIMS 12/24V Battery Charger>>>>>https://www.invertersupply.com/inde...hE3i1MVK5QuDVdi11UJxU8ctyxeLec4AaAjehEALw_wcB

That generator you suggest is 1000 running watts.... IF your load is 950 watts you sure are close. That makes the generator run wide open all the time trying to maintain the load. I suggest a 2000 watt inverter generator saving about half the fuel plus lots of noise too.

After owning a dozen or more generators, I'm much happier with a unit running at 50% load than at 90% load. I think you would be too.

But it may not run at full power the whole time, and I'm only looking at about 1 to 1 1/2 running time.

I want something light weight, may shoulder gives me problems.

My 2000 is 6 more pounds, plus half the fuel and noise... but, it's your $$$

I have the PD45 and a Honda 2200 generator.
As tx2 stated above there is a bright spark for an instant when you first plug in the PD45 to the Honda and that is just the PD capacitor charging up. Donno what that spark measures but both Honda and Progressive say it's normal and not a concern.

Lets talk fuel efficiency and noise. After running any generator, the half price version, for an hour and then a Honda you will know what everyone is talking about. I run mine for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours every 3 days to bring up all my batteries and then top them off normally with 400w of solar. I don't draw my system down more than 40% from their normal 95% SOC full at any time. Typically only draw off 25% and solar brings them back most mornings. Honda is for rainy days.

I was looking at the Generac 1200 watt model and when you shut it off, it can take several minutes, because it shuts the fuel off instead of the spark. Then when you start it back up you have to fill the carb again before it will start. I don't like that idea, so I have scratched it off the list, and am back to looking at the Honda 2200 with bluetooth.

I also run a small electric heater some times and the Honda will provide enough power to run it, the only down side is the price, it is a bit expensive.

" it is a bit expensive."

Yes it is but you can't beat a Honda for small engine reliability and longevity.

Highdesertranger

If I could afford it I would recommend the Honda. I believe you can get a wheel kit or have one fabricated if your shoulder is an issue. Be sure you are able to do maintenance (oil changes) easily. The cheap generators are a good value but require more work to maintain in my opinion. I got the 3500 Predator from Harbor Freight with a warranty because I couldn’t afford the Hondas. It is quiet, powers everything I need and has wheels but I do lift it to change oil every 100 hours of run time which is every couple of months. The thing for me was total cost was less than $600. I believe at the time a Honda was almost 3 times as much but I also believe the Honda will last twice as long as mine so if you can afford it get the Honda you will be happier in the long run.

I had a nice quiet Honda and when I didn’t need it anymore sold it. Then we had rental renovations to do and bought one of those predators. I can’t tell the difference between that and the Honda for noise or operability but we haven’t run it for years and years either.

Everybody writes the reviews for Amazon a couple of days after ownership when the request comes through. I've had 1 chinese generator. They are all pretty and look similar to a Honda. I'll give you a review on my Honda EU200i that I bought 18 years ago, over 2500 hours on it and zero problems. I have the EU1000i also but but shouldn't be reviewed yet as it is only 10 years old and only has 1500 hours on it ,  with zero problems.

What my thinking about was, I have 400 watts on the roof, and the most I have seen from it is about 265 watts.

It is enough to charge when the sun in shinning, but when it’s cloudy or rainy, is doesn’t keep up, I am using about 60 watts when the computer and TV are running.

I was considering adding portable panels, but you still have there same problem with rain and clouds, and then you add in wind and storage problems as well.

My generator a QG4000 sits directly below where I sit to use the computer and the exhaust is right below my window. So I thought I could find a better way to charge my batteries and not have to deal with the big generator and noise and CO gas that goes along with it.

After looking at several options I think the best way to ‘fix’ the problem is to buy one of the Honda EU2200I with bluetooth and plug my shore power cable into it. This way the little generator can charge my batteries and will allow me to run my little electric heater or the Microwave. Plus it will have bluetooth so I can shut it down remotely.

I tend to over think the easiest why to do things, and sometimes the easier way is the best way.

Sounds like a good plan to me! Maybe consider teeing into the fuel line to the large generator’s carburetor with a three way valve to fill your Honda generator so you don’t have to carry fuel cans.

The thought has crossed my mind.

It wouldn't take much, a valve, and an extra pump.

You can add an extended run kit (auxiliary tank) to most any portable generator so I would NOT advise you to mess around with modifying your vehicle's pressurized fuel system, especially when it is your home AND your vehicle, and you are not in a shop where modifications are easier to deal with.

The line coming from my fuel tank to my generator is not pressurized as the fuel pump is on/at the generator compartment also I have two fuel tanks and the one the generator pickup is in is out of the fuel with a quarter tank left. Any garage should be able to professionally install the hardware to be able to externally fill your auxiliary generator’s fuel tank. To me the risk, cost and inconvenience of properly carrying high quality fuel cans makes it worth having this done.