Auxiliary Charging System

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Reaction score
I am looking at installing one of these and using a small Honda type generator to charge batteries when camping out. I don't see any reason to run the Big generator just to charge batteries. I have a 50 AMP convertor/charger installed now, but the little Honda generator would use less gas, and would be better for just charging batteries.

I don't think this would affect my build-in system as this would be just for charging batteries. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DP3J3F...colid=6DOXK2O4SQ95&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I contacted Progressive Dynamics about using one of there PD9145A – 45 Amp Electronic Power Converters on a small Honda Generator, and they say it can take unto 32 amps to start it. I looked at the 30 Amp unit and it says the same thing.

So I guess that's out.

Hey Freelander...I use the PD-45 amp.....on the Honda 2000...I'm right across the driveway...and have a Kill-A-Watt..........What do you want to try ???????

I was wanting to use it as a backup charging system so I don't have to fire the big generator all the time.

Says

Peak Inrush Current 32-Amps

I can't believe to would that much power to start it.

I guess I could try it and find out.

Freelander said:
I contacted Progressive Dynamics about using one of there PD9145A – 45 Amp Electronic Power Converters on a small Honda Generator, and they say it can take unto 32 amps to start it. I looked at the 30 Amp unit and it says the same thing.

So I guess that's out.
I have the 30 amp version. It runs just fine off my Sportsman 1000 inverter generator. The Sportsman is only rated at 800 running watts. I ran it last week for an hour with the charger due to a lot of clouds that day and to exercise it. The thing with those chargers, if you leave it plugged into shore power it will keep everything at 14.4 or 14.5 volts. I don't remember which. When I ran it off shore power I would just unplug it when the batteries were fully charged.

"Peak Inrush Current 32-Amps"

That makes zero sense. where are you going to plug that in? way to many amps going in compared to the output. also that even exceeds all RV plugs/outlets except for the 50 amp.

Best converter told me that their Boondocker 60amp will run fine on a Honda EU2200i. I haven't installed it yet so we will see.

highdesertranger

I will probably buy the 2000 watt with the PD 45, I don't think the 1000 watt will provide enough power.

The 1000 watt lists 7.5 amps to the plugs, and the 2000 watt lists 15 amps to the plugs.

32 amp it would need at least 10 awg wire, it comes with a standard 110v plug

From what I am figuring the PD45 will pull about 6 amps to run, I don't see why the 1000 watt generator won't run it.

The Honda has 7.5 to the plug and the Sportsman has 7.2 to the plug.

If I remember correctly the 50 amp convertor in my RV only uses a 20 amp fuse.

But the Honda is $980 and the Sportsman is $270.

The Honda is over 3 times the price.

I bought the Sportsman on sale a couple years ago. I wouldn't expect it to last forever if I was nailing it all the time. It's more for emergencies. I put heavy duty battery clamps on the 30 amp Progressive Dynamics charger with 4awg wire. I don't leave it hooked up to the house batteries because I don't use it very often but I could jump start the van with it and the genny if my starter battery (which isn't in the same circuit as the house batteries) took a dump on me. It's easy enough to use the clamps to charge the house batteries

I have the Sportsman 1000 inverter generator and am very well pleased with it.

I use a Progressive Dynamics PD9245 charger and solar.

Any of the cheaper motors I would highly advise an oil change immediately after starting it and letting it warm up. In the ones I have owned the first oil change had a good bit of what I believe was casting sand and metal from machining. I usually run them less than a half hour and change the oil. Sometimes it only takes one change but I continue to run it less than a few hours and change the oil till it comes out clean. Then after that I follow recommended changes. I have gotten good service out of them by doing so.

A standard 110v plug is 15 amp max. like I said that 32 amp just doesn't make sense. highdesertranger

I agree the 32 amp just doesnt make any sense.

I am leaning toward the PD45 and the 1000 watt Generator.

Okay I googled searched “How many amps does a PD 45 draw?” and found max draw from a 120 volt AC source is 8 amps. It can produce 45 amps DC. It is not good to continually keep a lithium battery hooked up to it for long periods of time, like 3 weeks. It will harm lead acid and AGM batteries of used to try to charge them. So any generator that can produce 8 amp 120 volts AC ( 8amp x 120 volts = 960 watts) should be fine to power the PD 45 to occasionally charge a lithium battery in my opinion from the sources I researched. Your welcome! Lol!!!

Thanks for doing the leg work bullfrog. those numbers make a lot more sense. highdesertranger