My van camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1988 chevy 6.jpgGO SMALL, GO FAR.

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING BUCKAROO GUY'S AND GAL'S, THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD.  THANKS FOR COMMENTS
ON WATER ISSUES TO HIGHDESERTRANGER,BALLENXJ AND MASTERPLUMBER.

TIP OF WEEK: YOUR KIDNEY'S NEED A MINIMUM OF 2 LITERS OF WATER DAILY, SO DONT SHORT YOURSELF ON YOUR
SUPPLY. ADDITIONALLY, WINTER IS A DANGEROUS TIME AS WE DON'T THINK OF HYPOTHERMIA, IT WILL SNEAK UP ON
YOU. SO DRINK UP AND STAY HEALTHY.

CAMPER BUILD IS UNDERWAY ON SUBURBAN. IT WILL BE A PURE MINIMALIST VEHICLE, AS ON THE TRIP TO RTR, I FOUND
I CARRIED WAY TO MUCH STUFF WITH ME, AND I DID'T HAVE MUCH IN RELATION TO MOST PEOPLE.  WHAT I'VE DONE SO
FAR IS SPEND MONEY ON GETTING THINGS FIXED OR CHECKED FOR DEPENDIBILITY. 
1.  REPLACED IGNITION MODULE AND SPARK PLUGS

2.  CHECKED BRAKES, WHEEL BEARINGS, AND ALL SUPENSION COMPONENTS. CHANGED ALL FLUIDS IN TRANSMISSION,
     TRANSFER CASE AND DIFFERENTIALS. 

3.  INSTALLED DUAL BATTERIES, ONE FOR STARTER, AND ONE ISOLATED FOR HOUSE.

NOW ITS TIME TO BUILD INTERIOR, REMOVED ALL 2ND AND 3RD ROW SEATS.  THE BED WILL BE THE ONLY PIECE OF FURNITURE.
(SEE PIX) WILL BE SIMILIAR TO ASTRO VAN BED.

BE SAFE AND GET OUT THERE A ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY!

Attachments

• 1988 chevy 6.jpg
    1988 chevy 6.jpg
    390.9 KB
  • 1988 sub main batt.jpg
    1988 sub main batt.jpg
    226.3 KB
  • 1988 sub house batt.jpg
    1988 sub house batt.jpg
    244.7 KB
a Roxy 2.JPGa roxy.jpgGO SMALL GO FAR!

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING BUCKAROO GUY'S AND GAL'S, THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD

ROXY, MET HER AT RTR, SHE HAD VIDEO INTERVIEW WITH BOB IN HER SUV, RECENTLY SHE WAS
ON BOB'S AGAIN IN HER ASTRO VAN, AND HOW SHE MODIFIED IT FOR HER TRAVELS.

THIS WEEK I BUMPED INTO HER PERSONAL YOU TUBE CHANNEL (NOMAD OF NATURE AND TRANQUIL LIGHT
PHOTOGRAPHY) IT'S VERY GOOD WITH NEAT LOCATIONS AND SUPER QUALITY FILMING.  JUST SEARCH "YOU 
TUBE" AND SUPPORT HER GREAT CHANNEL.

BE SAFE AND ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTY.

Attachments

• a roxy.jpg
    a roxy.jpg
    314.9 KB
  • a Roxy 2.JPG
    a Roxy 2.JPG
    236.2 KB
HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING BUCKAROO GUYS AND GALS, AND THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD!

TIP: A LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL IN A TWO WHEEL DRIVE VAN WILL GET YOU TO ALMOST ANYWHERE
YOU WISH. NEED TO GO FUTHER, AN AIR LOCKER REAR END WILL PROBABLY TAKE YOU FUTHER THAN YOU 
WANT TO GO.  A 4X4 THEY SAY JUST TAKES YOU A BIT FUTHER BEFORE GETTING STUCK.  

PIX'S  1.  I CARRY THESE TWO BOOK'S. THE HOT SPRINGS BOOK IS ALSO AVAIABLE FOR THE NORTHWEST.
                 INTERNET HAS THEM FROM DIFFERENT SOURCES FOR UNDER 10 $ CHECK THRIFTY BOOKS.

2.  CLEAN SLATE (MY BURB, CLEANED OUT FOR INTERIOR BUILD)

3. - 5  FOR TAX TIME AND SPRING I'M IN MISSOURI IN THE SPRING REGION. MERAMEC SPRING PARK
                  IS CLOSE BY AND IS THE 5TH LARGEST IN MO. IT MAKES A RIVER. 

BE SAFE AND ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY. 

Attachments

• a books.jpg
    a books.jpg
    243.2 KB
  • 1988 BURB INT 2.jpg
    1988 BURB INT 2.jpg
    250.9 KB
  • meramec sp.1 jpg.jpg
    meramec sp.1 jpg.jpg
    108 KB
  • meramec sp.jpg
    meramec sp.jpg
    569.2 KB
  • meramec sp.2 jpg.jpg
    meramec sp.2 jpg.jpg
    479 KB
Love maramec! The river, the caves, just beautiful!! You're not too far from me... Can you see me waving? LOL

Campor99 said:
TIP: A LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL IN A TWO WHEEL DRIVE VAN WILL GET YOU TO ALMOST ANYWHERE
YOU WISH.
This is one of the reasons I had a Torsen style limited slip installed in my van. The ARB will accomplish about the same thing, only with the option of running unlocked until you need to lock up.
I truly enjoy seeing the photos of places visited in your journeys. Don't stop. :)
The old saying about a 4x4 is that when you do finally get stuck, it's going to be a real bear getting unstuck, and it will be so far in that the walk out will be much longer. How do I know these things? Never mind. :p
PS, that's an awful lot of flow for a spring.

[ATTACH=full said:
12263[/ATTACH] Ballenxj pid='277867' dateline='1491236755']This is one of the reasons I had a Torsen style limited slip installed in my van. The ARB will accomplish about the same thing, only with the option of running unlocked until you need to lock up.
I truly enjoy seeing the photos of places visited in your journeys. Don't stop. :)
The old saying about a 4x4 is that when you do finally get stuck, it's going to be a real bear getting unstuck, and it will be so far in that the walk out will be much longer. How do I know these things? Never mind. :p
PS, that's an awful lot of flow for a spring.

Note the flow rates on signage. This is but the 5th largest in Mo. I will probably show all the others in future, each has camping and are buried in the MO Ozarks a rare an
beautiful area centered around the Eminence Mo. area. 100-120 as the crow flies miles SSW from St. Louis.  Me and my Jimmy and now the Burb rarely use the 4x4 its
for emergency use basically. I'm not one to abuse equipment and go places that will damage my vehicles they are for fun not destruction. I want them to give me miles
and miles of fun carefree miles. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. 

Best of All to Ya! 

Opal    Independent supension and all hoof drive

Attachments

• Opal.jpg
    Opal.jpg
    1.1 MB
I love Opal! Is she a mammoth? She looks great!

Good thinking, a Donkey will kick the shit out of a Coyote, the ranchers around here all keep donkeys with their cattle

ArtW said:
Good thinking, a Donkey will kick the shit out of a Coyote, the ranchers around here all keep donkeys with their cattle
Yup! The main line of defense is 2 Appy Mules, use to see Coyotes and dogs all the time, Not now, but they are
out there just waiting.  Thanks for note, all the best.

Attachments

• k2.JPG
    k2.JPG
    932.4 KB
a expres 1.jpga expres 1.jpga expres.jpgGO SMALL GO FAR!

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING BUCKAROO GUY'S AND GAL'S, THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD.

TIP: CARRY A COUPLE OF CANS OF FIX-A-FLAT, YOU NEVER KNOW.

VAN FEATURED IS WILLY'S OF PHOENIX AZ.  CHEVY EXPRESS 3500 (EX GOVT TRUCK) HAD ROOF AIR PLUS HUGE GENERATOR.
     AND HIGH TOP.  WILLY FITTED IT WITH DIY INTERIOR FOR CAMPING.

AREA OF WEEK: OZARK NATIONAL SCENIC RIVERWAYS IN MISSOURI, HAS SOME GOOD "YOU TUBE" COVERAGE. FEATURE THIS
     WEEK IS ROUND SPRINGS NEAR EMINENCE MO. IT ALSO HAS CAVE.  100-120 MILES SSW OF ST. LOUIS. 

BE SAFE OUT THERE AND ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY.

Attachments

• a expres.jpg
    a expres.jpg
    209.1 KB
  • a expres 1.jpg
    a expres 1.jpg
    235.4 KB
  • a round spring 1.jpg
    a round spring 1.jpg
    933.6 KB
  • a round springs 4.jpg
    a round springs 4.jpg
    506.8 KB
  • a round springs ozark mtn.jpg
    a round springs ozark mtn.jpg
    193 KB
rtr 15.jpgGO SMALL GO FAR

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING GUY'S AND GAL'S AND THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD

TIP: 12 VOLT AIR COMPRESSORS ARE GREAT BUT THEY ARE SLOW TO INFLATE A FLAT.  MINE TOOK 30 + MINUTES TO 
         FILL A 235 7.5 15  THAT WAS TOTALLY FLAT.  THEY MAKE HIGHER VOLUME 2 CYCLINDER MODELS BUT THEY ARE
         PRICEY.  I RAN MY ENGINE TO ENSURE THAT I DIDN'T DRAIN MY STARTER BATTERY.

VAN: '' FREE HUGS DAVE'S " G 20 CHEVY VAN,  WAS WELL APPOINTED AND HE SAID QUITE DEPENDABLE. 

AREA OF WEEK: OZARK NATIONAL SCENIC RIVERWAYS, MISSOURI.  BLUE SPRINGS . IT IS 315 FOOT DEEP AND MAKES
        A GOOD SIZE STREAM THAT RUNS INTO THE JACK FORK RIVER.  SEVERAL YOU TUBE VIDEO'S ON LINE.  LOVELY AREA
         WORTH THE VISIT.

BE SAFE OUT THERE AND ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY!

SEE YA NEXT WEEK.

Attachments

• rtr 15.jpg
    rtr 15.jpg
    249.6 KB
  • a blue spring 3.jpg
    a blue spring 3.jpg
    227.4 KB
  • a blue spring.jpg
    a blue spring.jpg
    213.5 KB
  • a round springs ozark mtn.jpg
    a round springs ozark mtn.jpg
    193 KB
1988 suburban off road ready.jpgGO SMALL GO FAR

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING GUY'S AND GAL'S, THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD!

TIP: IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE RUNNING AROUND ON BACK ROADS AND TRUE OFF ROAD AREAS.
A TIRE REPAIR KIT MIGHT BE IN ORDER,  SLIME HAS A KIT FOR PLUGGING HOLES AND EMERGENCY
REPAIR. CHECK WALMART. YA NEVER KNOW. PLUS YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP A SOUL IN NEED.

AREA OF WEEK: OZARK NATIONAL SCENIC RIVERWAYS   BIG SPRING A "FIRST MAGNITUTDE SPRING"!
      MEANING IT IS SOMETIMES  CALLED THE LARGEST SPRING IN USA. AVERAGE DAILY FLOW IS 286 MILLION 
      GALLONS. IT STARTS A RIVER SIZE STREAM ALL BY ITSELF. LOCATED ON OZARK PLATEAU NEAR VAN BUREN
      MO. GREAT PARK, CAMPING AND TRAILS.

BE SAFE OUT THERE AND ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY.

SEE YA NEXT WEEK

Attachments

• a big spring 1.jpg
    a big spring 1.jpg
    342.6 KB
  • a big spring 2.jpg
    a big spring 2.jpg
    121.6 KB
  • 1988 suburban off road ready.jpg
    1988 suburban off road ready.jpg
    58.4 KB
  • a current river.jpg
    a current river.jpg
    186.6 KB
Campor99 said:
 TIP: IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE RUNNING AROUND ON BACK ROADS AND TRUE OFF ROAD AREAS.
A TIRE REPAIR KIT MIGHT BE IN ORDER,  SLIME HAS A KIT FOR PLUGGING HOLES AND EMERGENCY
REPAIR. CHECK WALMART. YA NEVER KNOW. PLUS YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP A SOUL IN NEED.

A tire plug kit is a good idea. I used to carry one in my 4x4's. I think the brand I used was Camel. They are easy to use once you know how, and fairly inexpensive.
If you have a good compressor with you, you can take care of a flat out in the boonies without even removing the tire. I do recommend jacking the stricken tire off the ground to facilitate finding the offending leak, as well as easier airing up.
As an aside though, a plug kit is good mostly for screws and nails through the tread area. If you're out in the boonies it will more than likely be a punctured sidewall from a sharp rock, so please do make sure you have a good spare. Two is better. 
PS, Thanks for posting more pictures of interesting places. :)

[ATTACH=full said:
12666[/ATTACH] Ballenxj pid='285249' dateline='1493040463']
A tire plug kit is a good idea. I used to carry one in my 4x4's. I think the brand I used was Camel. They are easy to use once you know how, and fairly inexpensive.
If you have a good compressor with you, you can take care of a flat out in the boonies without even removing the tire. I do recommend jacking the stricken tire off the ground to facilitate finding the offending leak, as well as easier airing up.
As an aside though, a plug kit is good mostly for screws and nails through the tread area. If you're out in the boonies it will more than likely be a punctured sidewall from a sharp rock, so please do make sure you have a good spare. Two is better. 
PS, Thanks for posting more pictures of interesting places. :)

GREAT POINTS, ALL SHOULD HEED, A SIDEWALL PUNCTURE CAN BE REPAIRED AT A GOOD TIRE SHOP USING A BOOT PATCH.

APPRECIATE THE KIND WORDS. HAPPY TRAILS

Attachments

• 1988 suburban off road.jpg
    1988 suburban off road.jpg
    126.8 KB
Campor99 said:
GREAT POINTS, ALL SHOULD HEED, A SIDEWALL PUNCTURE CAN BE REPAIRED AT A GOOD TIRE SHOP USING A BOOT PATCH.
A good shop apparently is key here; I found this video that contradicts some of the things I have said here, but most importantly mentions the dangers of sidewall repair further down the road. My attitude has been that if the sidewall has been compromised, you might want to factor a new tire into your budget. :( 
Video. ---->

Ballenxj said:
A good shop apparently is key here; I found this video that contradicts some of the things I have said here, but most importantly mentions the dangers of sidewall repair further down the road. My attitude has been that if the sidewall has been compromised, you might want to factor a new tire into your budget. :( 
Video. ---->

Good video, however, I believe that you can use a side wall repaired tire as a spare.  I have never had a sidewall damaged, and in fact 
never had a tire failure/flat when driving on back roads etc. However I must say I buy top line All Terrain tires and don't keep them
til they are below 1/4 tread. My feelings is a puncture should be a rare and accidential occurence, JUST BAD LUCK.  Will be asking 
reader comments on my selection of next tires for "the beast".  Thanks for the update information.  Best to Ya!

Attachments

• 1988 sub 5.jpg
    1988 sub 5.jpg
    203.2 KB
Campor99 said:
Good video, however, I believe that you can use a side wall repaired tire as a spare.  I have never had a sidewall damaged,
<-------->

reader comments on my selection of next tires for "the beast".  Thanks for the update information.  Best to Ya!

Absolutely as a spare, I agree. When you have to use a booted tire as a spare, you can take appropriate action in town later. The main emphasis is on making it to town.
About the plug kit, I still recommend carrying one as they are small. 
I have had sidewall failure out in the boonies, but if I recall, only once in my lifetime. I try to keep good tires on the vehicle for offroading.
Speaking of which, I'm betting you will end up getting BFG, either KQ's, or A/T's for your rig. They have a great reputation. 
Will be interested in the consensus from the rest on which tires they recommend. ;)

you cannot patch a sidewall. no tire shop will repair a sidewall, their liability insurance will not allow it. plug kits are for emergency use only. having said all that, I have plugged dozens of tires I have also repaired sidewalls but only in an emergency. sidewall repairs should NEVER be driven at highway speeds. I have put as many as 4 plugs in one hole. but this tire was not driven on the highway. sidewall repairs and multiple plugs should be driven at 35mph max. highdesertranger