My van camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
curious, last time I was in Manhattan there was no cell service. they had a brand new tower but there was a conflict with powering it up so it was just sitting there idle. did they get it working? highdesertranger

Campor99 said:
2-5. PICTURES OF MANHATTAN NV, NORTH OF TONOPAH NV. HEADING TO MONITOR VALLEY VIA SMOKEY VALLEY
Amazing! All the years I spent in Nevada, I was unaware of anyplace called Manhattan in that state. :p

highdesertranger said:
curious,   last time I was in Manhattan  there was no cell service.  they had a brand new tower but there was a conflict with powering it up so it was just sitting there idle.  did they get it working?   highdesertranger
Dont think they did, was there over xmas.

Miners Saloon owned by Shannon is a great little joint, she is also the postmistress.

grey stone building is old bank

GO SMALL GO FAR

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING BUCKAROO GUY'S AND GAL'S, THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD

TIP: IF YOUR GOING TO BUY AND TRAVEL IN A OLDER VAN, RUST IS GOING TO BE A BIG ISSUE, AND ONE
        TO AVOID, SAVE UP SOME TRAVEL MONEY AND SEARCH THE GREAT SOUTHWEST INCLUDING TEXAS.
        TAKE YOUR TIME (I TOOK MONTHS TO FIND MY 1988, STILL HAS PAINT ON FRAME, FOUND IN TX)  AND USE ALL 
         SEARCH SITES, CRAIG'S LIST, AUTO TRADER, ETC. DON'T ELIMINATE DEALERS AS THEY GET OLDER VECHICLES.

AREA OF WEEK. BELTON NV. LOCATED IN MONITOR VALLEY, OVER MOUNTAIN RANGE FROM MANHATTAN. FOUNDED
IN 1860'S HAD BOTH GOLD AND SILVER. NEAT SPOT, THEY HAVE A NICE 4TH OF JULY PARTY. CAMPING PARK  AND 
"DIRTY DICKS" SALOON. MAYBE 50 PEOPLE LIVE HERE. MOSTLY WELL MAINTAINED GRAVEL ROAD ACCESS.Belmont nv.jpg

PHOTO'S 

1. RESTORED COURT HOUSE. 2 JAIL 3. MAIN STREET RUINS, ? BANK. 4. REQUIRED OLD TRUCK.

BE SAFE OUT THERE AND ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY. SEE YA NEXT WEEK.

Attachments

• Belmont nv.jpg
    Belmont nv.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Belmont nv Courthouse.jpg
    Belmont nv Courthouse.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Belmont nv.Jail.jpg
    Belmont nv.Jail.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Belmont nv 1.jpg
    Belmont nv 1.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Belmont nv truck.jpg
    Belmont nv truck.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 14
Campor99 said:
AREA OF WEEK. BELTON NV. LOCATED IN MONITOR VALLEY, OVER MOUNTAIN RANGE FROM MANHATTAN.

Belton? Was that a typo meaning Belmont like the sign says? I do that all the time. :p
Or is there really a Belton?
Either way, it looks like a neat place to visit. Thanks for sharing.

Ballenxj said:
Belton? Was that a typo meaning Belmont like the sign says? I do that all the time. :p
Or is there really a Belton?
Either way, it looks like a neat place to visit. Thanks for sharing.
OOP'S!  Belmont is correct, and it was only silver plus other ore, is accessible via paved road off
376 north of hwy 6 east of Tonopah. thanks for catch, need to re read posts.

Campor99 said:
OOP'S!  Belmont is correct, and it was only silver plus other ore, is accessible via paved road off
376 north.

Mid eighties I used to travel through those area's, and that's the only reason I questioned that.
I wish that I could have run across folks like you and HDR back then. Those are the days when I was running my 67 GMC shorty that I had made a camper out of. You may recall my mentioning it a time or three. Myself and the GF camped our way from Vegas to Reno, and even cruised North Shore Lake Tahoe. Fun days. :)

a chevy awd express 1.jpgGO SMALL, GO FAR!

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING BUCKAROO GUY'S AND GAL'S, THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD.

MY TRIP TO DEATH VALLEY AND SALINE VALLEY WARM SPRINGS PROVED THE VALUE OF 
ALL WHEEL DRIVE [AWD]. THE TRIP IN AND OUT THE NORTH AND SOUTH PASS WAS DIFFICULT 
DUE TO ICE AND SNOW.  SEVERAL 4X4 HAD DIFFICULTY LEAVING VALLEY, WHICH BRINGS UP
ISSUE OF THE NEED OF GOOD TIRES SUITED FOR THE TYPE OF DRIVING CONDITION YOUR 
GOING FIND ON YOUR ADVENTURE. I USE ALL TERRAIN TIRES. IF YOU THINK YOUR GOING
TO NEED EXTRA TRACTION, CONSIDER AWD VEHICLES. I DRIVE A ASTRO/SAFARI AWD, IT 
DID WELL, THERE IS A HOST OF OTHERS ON THE NEW AND USED MARKET.

VAN OF WEEK: GENERAL MOTOR'S AWD CHEVY EXPRESS AND GMC SAVANA. IT WAS BUILT ON
                           1500 FRAME AND OFFERED 5.3 AND 5.7 LITER ENGINES. SO THIS MIGHT BE A 
                           GOOD OPTION FOR PEOPLE NEEDING A FULL SIZE VAN.  SOME EVEN HAD CLAM
                           DOORS ON BOTH SIDES. NOTE PICTURE.

AREA OF WEEK:  MONITOR VALLEY, NV. HEADING NORTH FROM BELMONT TOWARD AUSTIN. NEAT FEATURES
     1. PINE CREEK NF CAMPSITE.  2. DIANA'S PUNCH BOWL pix  3. POTT'S HOT SPRINGS pix

BE SAFE AND ENJOY OR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY.                  

Attachments

• a chevy awd express 1.jpg
    a chevy awd express 1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 10
  • a chevy awd express.jpg
    a chevy awd express.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Dianas Punchbowl Monitor Valley NV 02 sm.jpg
    Dianas Punchbowl Monitor Valley NV 02 sm.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 17
  • diana's punchbowl.jpg
    diana's punchbowl.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 20
  • pott's hot spring.jpg
    pott's hot spring.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 20
ah my back yard. I love Belmont you didn't mention the whole town is off grid. no electricity, no land line phones, and no cell phone service. I know a lot of you might say how do they live there, very well if I may say. the bar has cold beer, what else do you need? there is a small horse shoe park in town and a free campground just outside of town. there is gold in the area up in the mountains to the west(4x4 needed). Belmont itself is at 7,500ft so mild summers. beware of rattlesnakes, prime area. in fact me and a friend got rid of one at the bar. now I went and gave away a bunch my secrets. thanks Campor love your updates. highdesertranger

HIGHDESERTRANGER THANKS FOR THE ADD TO MY THREAD, WAS GOOD THAT YOU FLUSHED OUT THE INFO ON
BELMONT AND AREA, IT'S A GREAT AREA. I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE HIGH DESERT SEVERAL
YEARS AGO. ALMOST ALL OF THE PLACES I VISITED HAVE YOU TUBE COVERAGE. GOOGLE
EARTH ALSO HAS GREAT COVERAGE OF SITES. THANKS AGAIN FOR KIND COMMENTS.

Manhattan church.jpgGO SMALL GO FAR!

HI ALL YOU BUCKAROO VAN LOVING GUY'S AND GAL'S, THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD!

TIP OF WEEK: 1ST OF MONTH DID YOU, DID YOU CHECK ALL YOU FLUIDS AND BELTS, DON'T FORGET
     THE BATTERY WATER. BATTERIES NEED DISTILLED WATER. 

ARGH! THE TRANSMISSION CHANGE ON TRIP TO RTR WENT SOUTH WHEN I DIDN'T SELECT A "SINGLE SOURCE"
     PROVIDER OF TRANSMISSION AND LABOR. I.E. NATION WIDE REBUILDER, DEALER, MAINTENACE FACILITY.
     NEW TRANSMISSION FAILED AND YOU GOT IT THE TRANSMISSION WAS COVERED BUT THE MAINTENANCE
     GUYS SAID NOT ME. SO i GOT TWO REPAIR LABOR BILLS. LESSON WELL LEARNED.

AREA OF WEEK: LEAVING MONITOR VALLEY WITH SOME FINAL PICTURES AND AUSTIN NV ON HWY 50. FOUNDED IN 
     1860'S IS CALLED A LIVING GHOST TOWN, HAS MANY THINGS TO SEE AND ENJOY  GREAT HISTORY. A SILVER TOWN
      INTERNATIONAL HOTEL WITH COOL ANTIQUE BAR FROM ENGLAND, STOKE'S CASTLE/TOWER. IF YOU WANT TOTAL
      TOUR GO TO YOU TUBE, IT HAS SEVERAL GOOD VIDEO'S, HOT SPRINGS LOVERS WILL FIND SPENCER HOT SPRINGS
      15-20 MILES SOUTHEAST ON US 50!

HEADING TO UTAH NEXT.  BE SAFE AND ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY.

PIX'S 1. A FEW OF THOUSANDS OLD VECHILES, 2. PINE CREEK HOMESTEAD 3. INTERNATIONAL HOTEL BAR. 4 STOKES CASTLE
    5. SPENCER HOT SPRINGS

Attachments

• Manhattan church.jpg
    Manhattan church.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 15
  • monitor valley.jpg
    monitor valley.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • austin inter bar.jpg
    austin inter bar.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 21
  • austin stokes castle.jpg
    austin stokes castle.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 19
  • austin spencer.jpg
    austin spencer.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 23
ASTRO VAN, TAN.jpgGO SMALL GO FAR!

Hi ALL YOU VAN LOVING BUCKAROO GUY'S AND GAL'S, THANKS FOR CHECKING THE THREAD.

TIP: GOOD TIME TO VISIT DESERT FLOWERS ARE BLOOMING.  IT'S HARD TO FIX TASTY HEALTHY FOOD WHEN ON
     ROAD. CHECK OUT THE _ONEPOTCHEFSHOW_ ON YOU TUBE. 

AREA OF WEEK: ST GEORGE UTAH, LOVELY AREA, THINGS TO SEE. NATIONAL HISTORIC MONUMENT, MOUNTAIN MEADOW
     MASSACRE SITE. NOT ONE OF MAN'S BEST DAY'S, SEPTEMBER 1857 MORMON MILITIA ATTACKED A ARKANSAS WAGON               
     TRAIN KILLING 110 -140 MEN WOMEN AND CHILDREN SPARING ONLY CHILDREN BELOW AGE OF SEVEN.  CHECK IT OUT ON
     GOOGLE OR YOU TUBE. SEE ATTACHED PHOTO.

ZION NATIONAL PARK, IN MY OPTION PROBABLY THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PARK IN SOUTHWEST. SEE YOU TUBE, HIGH 
     SEASONS PARK INTERIOR IS ACCESSED ONLY BY USING PARK BUSSES. IT'S A BUCKET LIST PARK. PIX'S ATTACHED

BE SAFE, AND ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY. HEADING NEXT TO WYOMING,  CHECK YOU TUBE FOR PLACES YOU WISH
TO TRAVEL TO, MOST WILL HAVE VIDEO.

Attachments

• a Utah-Flag-US-State-Paper-XL.jpg
    a Utah-Flag-US-State-Paper-XL.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 12
  • a mountain meadow momument.jpg
    a mountain meadow momument.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 14
  • a ZionNationalPark-1024x576.jpg
    a ZionNationalPark-1024x576.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 15
  • a zion.jpg
    a zion.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 16
  • ASTRO VAN, TAN.jpg
    ASTRO VAN, TAN.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 7
Campor99 said:
GO SMALL GO FAR!

MASSACRE SITE. NOT ONE OF MAN'S BEST DAY'S, SEPTEMBER 1857 MORMON MILITIA ATTACKED A ARKANSAS WAGON               
     TRAIN KILLING 110 -140 MEN WOMEN AND CHILDREN SPARING ONLY CHILDREN BELOW AGE OF SEVEN.  CHECK IT OUT ON
     GOOGLE OR YOU TUBE. SEE ATTACHED PHOTO.
That's CRAZY! I looked it up, and apparently this did happen for real. :(

a cargo wagon.jpgGO SMALL,GO FAR

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING BUCKAROO GUY'A AND GAL'S, THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD

TIP: WHEN TO VISIT DESERT, JAN TO MAR, LATE OCT AND NOVEMBER.  WATER, I ALWAYS WITH RARE
EXCEPTION PICK A LOCATION THAT HAS SURFACE WATER AVAILABLE. SEE PIX'S EACH SITE HAD A STREAM,
SPRING. THIS ALLOW'S FOR BATHING ETC. I CARRY 8 GALLONS OF DRINKING/COOKING WATER.  THE
REMOTE AREA'S WILL HAVE WATER IN SMALL VALLEY'S THAT LEAD DOWN FROM HIGHER ELEVATIONS. THAT
IS WHY THE I NORMALLY PICK ON THE HIGH DESERT IN LATE SPRING AS IT GETS SNOW PACK IN MOUNTAINS.

INTERESTING STORY, MET MAN TRAVELING TO ALASKA IN SOUTHWEST WYOMING PULLING A SMALL CARGO
WAGON, HE WAS STANDING ON SIDE OF ROAD HOLDING OUT A EMPTY GALLON JUG. STOPPED AND GAVE HIM
HIS REQUEST OF 2 GALLON'S. SAID HE HOPED TO MAKE AK IN A YEAR IF HE DIDN'T FREEZE IN CANADIAN WINTER.
HIS WAGON, HAD SMALL STAKES ON IT WAS PROBABLY 3 FEET IN TOTAL HIEGHT.

BE SAFE AND ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY. 

Attachments

• a cargo wagon.jpg
    a cargo wagon.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 8
  • a camp hot spring winter.jpg
    a camp hot spring winter.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 28
  • a camp pott's ranch house.jpg
    a camp pott's ranch house.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 27
  • a camp site.jpg
    a camp site.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 29
  • z4.jpg
    z4.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 30
Campor99 said:
I CARRY 8 GALLONS OF DRINKING/COOKING WATER.  THE
REMOTE AREA'S WILL HAVE WATER IN SMALL VALLEY'S THAT LEAD DOWN FROM HIGHER ELEVATIONS. THAT
IS WHY THE I NORMALLY PICK ON THE HIGH DESERT IN LATE SPRING AS IT GETS SNOW PACK IN MOUNTAINS.
Question, Do you also carry a water filter? Or would you boil it if needed?
Interesting finding the man with the wagon. Does he intend to walk the whole distance?

Ballenxj said:
Question, Do you also carry a water filter? Or would you boil it if needed?
Interesting finding the man with the wagon. Does he intend to walk the whole distance?
I DON'T CARRY A FILTER, BUT, IF REQUIRED WOULD BOIL AND TREAT WITH CHLORINE.  IF I DECIDE TO GET A FILTER IT WILL BE THE BERKLEY, THE PROBLEM IN WESTERN AREASWHERE THERE WAS LOTS OF MINING MOST WATER SOURCES ARE LOADED WITH HEAVY METALS.  TRAVELING ALONE MY WATER SUPPLY WOULD LAST ME UP TO 10-12 DAY. HOWEVER, 8 GALLONS WOULD LAST ME LONGER THAN I NORMALLY STAY IN ONE SPOT. I MOVE NORMALLY AFTER 3-5 DAYS. THE MAN WAS GOING TO PULL THAT WAGON TO ALASKA, HE STATED THAT HE PLANNED TO WINTER OUT IN CANADA.

BEST CAMPOR

I was going to get a Berkley, but I read a couple reviews where they did detailed scientific tests and the Berkleys consistently failed to remove all of the undesirable cooties. I was bummed, as I really thought they were the cats meow. To be fair, there are others that failed as well. Before buying definitely read some reviews that include water testing, not just ease of use and build quality.

masterplumber said:
I was going to get a Berkley, but I read a couple reviews where they did detailed scientific tests and the Berkleys consistently failed to remove all of the undesirable cooties.  I was bummed, as I really thought they were the cats meow. To be fair, there are others that failed as well. Before buying definitely read some reviews that include water testing, not just ease of use and build quality.
I belong to more than one survival style forum, one of which being Randall's Adventure Training. He is well known for taking groups down to South America teaching evasive and survival tactics, equipment testing as well as being the designer and manufacturer of ESEE Knives. The subject of water filters came up there several years ago, and he recommended the Katadyn Vario. He said too many of the others didn't hold up, or didn't do the intended job. He also said the Vario put out a faster flow than a lot of the others, making it more practical. That's the one I went with.