My van camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haven't tried their warranty yet. they tell me it's good at any of their stores and that my name is in their computer. if and when I need to use it I will report back. I had to pay 10 bucks extra per tire for road hazard but their prices were still good. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
  I had to pay 10 bucks extra per tire for road hazard but their prices were still good. 
I don't have a receipt in front of me, but I think Discount charges at least that much per tire.
I hope you don't have to use their warranty for a long time, but if or when you do, yes, please let us know how it worked for you.

[ATTACH=full said:
12908[/ATTACH] Ballenxj pid='289730' dateline='1494120341']
They were? OUCH! Well, they used to be better than that, I hope their warranties are as good as they used to be.

HDR, does Wally World offer a good warranty on their tires that is honored across the states?

I had some AT tires from Wally they were great tires and lasted well, never had a problem, but they quit handling 
that tire. Tire Rack so far has best price on BFG ko2's at 156 per tire, Wally 223, Discount 228 with warranty. 
I will just keep slogging along the answer will eventually raise its ugly head. 

Thanks all for your help on the issue.

Attachments

• 1988 chevy 7.jpg
    1988 chevy 7.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 14
[ATTACH=full said:
12921[/ATTACH] highdesertranger pid='289748' dateline='1494122908']haven't tried their warranty yet.  they tell me it's good at any of their stores and that my name is in their computer.  if and when I need to use it I will report back.  I had to pay 10 bucks extra per tire for road hazard but their prices were still good.  highdesertranger

BEFORE WE LEAVE THIS SUBJECT OF TIRES, * DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO GET ROAD HAZAED INSURANCE, AND
IF SO WHAT IS A FAIR PRICE?  I HAVE NEVER PURCHASED INSURANCE FOR TIRES.  I'M TOTALLY IN THE DARK
ON THIS ISSUE.  IF ITS LIKE APPLIANCE INS, THEY SAY ITS A BAD DEAL.  SO WHAT DO MOST PEOPLE DO
WHEN BUYING TIRES????? THANKS AS ALWAYS

Attachments

• a camper makes you dizzy.jpg
    a camper makes you dizzy.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 18
It depends on you
I never buy it, because if I have a flat i will often plug the tire, and that voids the warranty
If you carry a good spare and would rather change than plug, the road hazard would be a good deal I think, just don't tell them you got a flat while off roading lol

Costco includes the road hazard in their price so it's basically free. I never could find anybody that could beat their price if you included road hazard. I have used the road hazard a few times. the reason I like to get it is when I have a problem it usually means the tire is toast. but I drive a lot of off road, some years I might put 3-4k off pavement miles on my tires. that's another reason I like to go with a national chain. I could find a Costco at any hub city and Wally World even in smaller cities. highdesertranger

Campor99 said:
BEFORE WE LEAVE THIS SUBJECT OF TIRES, * DOES IT MAKE SENSE TO GET ROAD HAZARD INSURANCE, 
<-------->
  IF ITS LIKE APPLIANCE INS, THEY SAY ITS A BAD DEAL. 

It is a bad deal, until you need it. I almost never buy appliance insurance, but usually do with tires given the option.
I figure the probability of getting a flat tire is greater than appliance failure, and that's how I base my decisions on which to buy insurance for.
Oh, and current finances play a big part too.

a astri 6.jpgGO SMALL GO FAR!

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING GUY'S AND GAL'S, THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD

Tip:  When checking your radiator hoses, don't forget the lost child, THE HEATER HOSE, it will
bring you to a stop just like its big brothers that get all the attention.

Area of week: OZARK NATIONAL SCENIC RIVERWAYS  THE BIG 3 RIVERS ARE THE 1. CURRENT 2. JACK FORK
     and 3. 11 POINTS.  TONS OF CAMPING AREAS AND IF YOU HAVE NEVER FLOATED A RIVER AND CAMPED
     ALONG THE ITS A GREAT EXPERIENCE.

BE SAFE OUT THERE AND ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY!

SEE YA NEXT WEEK (MAYBE, HAVE TO ATTEND A GRADUATION)

Attachments

• a astri 6.jpg
    a astri 6.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 9
  • a current river.jpg
    a current river.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 10
  • a jack fork.jpg
    a jack fork.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • a river jack fork.jpg
    a river jack fork.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 15
  • a 11 point river 2.JPG
    a 11 point river 2.JPG
    446.3 KB · Views: 9
a camper airstream.pngGO SMALL GO FAR

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING GUYS AND GALS, THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD!

TIRE SELECTION FOR "THE GREEN MACHINE" !

ITS A TIE (ALMOST)  THE WAY I LOOK AT IT. 

# 1 TOYO OPEN COUNTRY AT 2, 65000 MILE WARRANTY AND DOES A BETTER
         JOB OF SELF CLEANING OF TREAD.  

#1. BF GOODRICH AT KO2, GREAT TIRE  BEST KNOWN FOR TOUGH OFF ROAD CAPABILITIES.

WHICH   WILL IT BE, WELL THE DAY I PULL THE TRIGGER IT PROBABLY BE PRICE.   i DONT BELIEVE
A PERSON WOULD GO WRONG WITH EITHER TIRE. 

BE SAFE AND ENJOY OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY!

I THINK ITS A 1970 OLDSMOBILE TORNADO ?

Attachments

• a b toyo at2.jpg
    a b toyo at2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 7
  • a bf goodrich ko2.jpg
    a bf goodrich ko2.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 7
  • a camper airstream.png
    a camper airstream.png
    863.7 KB · Views: 20
Campor99 said:
GO SMALL GO FAR

<-------->

I THINK ITS A 1970 OLDSMOBILE TORNADO ?

Correct, that is an Oldsmobile Toronado That year will be equipped with a 455 engine rated at 370 HP and 500 ft lbs of torque, and has front wheel drive through a purpose built TH400 transmission. Thinking about it, that is an ideal set up as long as it's done right, and I'll bet it was. :)
Your tire selection sounds reasonable.

1988 chevy 6.jpgGO SMALL GO FAR

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING GUY'S AND GAL'S, THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD!

TIP:  RECYCLE THOSE SPRAY BOTTLES!  HAVE MANY GOOD USES.  I FILL ONE WITH A  MIXTURE OF
     VINEGAR AND WATER.  USE IT FOR CLEANING MY WINDSHIELD AND THIS IS MY FAVORITE, CLEAN
     SANITIZE MY DISHES, KNIVES AND FORKS ETC.  ALLOWING ME TO USE COLD WATER FOR WASHING.

ROAD WORTHY!  THE BEAST, IS A 1988 MODEL, AND THEREFORE I FEEL NEEDS TO BE WELL TENDED PRIOR
TO DOING LONG TRIPS.  A BREAKDOWN ON THE ROAD CAN BE A VERY STRESSFUL ISSUE PLUS EXPENSIVE.

SO I DO PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE.  TODATE THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN FINISHED. 1} FLUIDS CHANGED, 2} BRAKES
CHECKED AND NEW FRONT PADS INSTALLED. 3} TUNEUP PLUS NEW ELECTRONIC IGNIGTION PLUS WIRES AND PLUGS.
4} TWO NEW FRONT SHOCKS.  OF COURSE ADDITIONAL ITEMS HAVE BEEN CHECKED OR WILL BE PRIOR TO FIRST 
LONG JOURNEY.

PIXS  SOME FREE CAMPSITES, DONT FORGET  "FREE CAMPSITES. NET"

Attachments

• a camp site.jpg
    a camp site.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 22
  • a campsite ozarks.jpg
    a campsite ozarks.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • a round springs ozark mtn.jpg
    a round springs ozark mtn.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 17
  • 1988 chevy 6.jpg
    1988 chevy 6.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 11
1988 chevy 8.jpgGO SMALL,GO FAR!

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING GUY'S AND GAL'S AND THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD!

WELL THE REPURPOSE INTERIOR OF "BEAST" GOING SLOW. HOWEVER GOT THE LARGE
SIDE REAR WINDOW'S COVERING INSERTS FINISHED FOR INSTALL THIS WEEK. PIX 1, REFLEXIC'S
APPLIED WITH GLUE TO WOOD BACKING. PIX 2. PAINTED REFLEXICS WITH BLACK PAINT. 

HOPE TO GET ALL WINDOW FRAMES REPAINTED AND INSTALLED THIS WEEK.

AREA OF WEEK:  FREE CAMPSITES NEAR OZARKS HOMEBASE, LESS THAN 20 MILES.  YOU DON'T HAVE
TO TRAVEL FAR TO HAVE GOOD TIMES ENJOYING MOTHER NATURE.

NEXT WEEK WILL RESUME MY 18 MONTHS TRAVELING THE GREAT WESTERN USA.

Attachments

• 1988 chevy 8.jpg
    1988 chevy 8.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 6
  • lc camp 222.jpg
    lc camp 222.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 16
  • lc camp 2222.jpg
    lc camp 2222.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 12
  • lc camp.jpg
    lc camp.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 12
  • lc camp 1.jpg
    lc camp 1.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 9
Campor99 said:
GO SMALL,GO FAR!

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING GUY'S AND GAL'S AND THANKS FOR CHECKING THREAD!

Hmm, looking at your Burb, then looking at the waterways you have posted, then looking again at the roof of your Burb in particular makes me think you might want to re-purpose the roof for carrying a Kayak. :D

[ATTACH=full said:
13244[/ATTACH] Ballenxj pid='294828' dateline='1495491075']
Hmm, looking at your Burb, then looking at the waterways you have posted, then looking again at the roof of your Burb in particular makes me think you might want to re-purpose the roof for carrying a Kayak. :D
Well a roof rack is in the mill somewhere down the line. Weird, it has all the fitting points for a rack, but, no rack???????????
Not found a rack on line to fit it/ orginal eqpt.  Any ideas?
Good to hear from you!

Attachments

• 1988 suburban off road.jpg
    1988 suburban off road.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 9
Campor99 said:
Well a roof rack is in the mill somewhere down the line. Weird, it has all the fitting points for a rack, but, no rack???????????
Not found a rack on line to fit it/ orginal eqpt.  Any ideas?
Good to hear from you!

Thanks. :)  Aside from wrecking yards, craigslist, and ebay? Nope, no ideas.

33387564.jpg33387564.jpg33387564.jpgGO SMALL GO FAR!

HI ALL YOU VAN LOVING GUY'S AND GAL'S, THANKS FOR CHECCKING THREAD.

TIP:  IF YOU TRAVEL ALONE AND HIKE,  HAVE A WHISTLE,  LIKE THE LIFEGUARDS,  IT MAY JUST SAVE
YOUR  BACON.  CHEAP INSURANCE,  AVAILABLE AT WALLY WORLD CAMPING SUPPLIES.

THANKS TO BALLENXJ FOR KIND COMMENTS ON LAST WEEKS POST.

AREA OF WEEK:  GRAND TETONS'S  WYOMING.  A SUPER BEAUTIFUL AREA,  VERY EXPENSIVE, AND SUPER BUSY IN 
     SEASON.  WOULD RECOMEND YOU VISIT IN OFF SEASON.

FOUND A COUPLE OF YOU TUBE VIDEO THAT MIGHT INTEREST PEOPLE LOOKING TO TRAVEL IN JEEP'S CJ'S OR SMALLER SIDEKICK'S
      OR TRACKERS.  1.  " IAMJAKE"  TRAVELING IN CJ5/7  2. " ADVENTUREVANMAN" BRIAN INTERVIEWED A GUY NAMED NAMED "NATE"
      LIVING OUT OF SIDEKICK/GEO TRACKER.   BOTH ARE LIVING OUT OF VEHICLE NOT TENT CAMPING.  "IAMJAKE" IS TRAVELING AND
      FULL TIMING OUT OF CJ. 

BE SAFE,  HOPE YOU ENJOY MEMORIAL DAY AND OUR  BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY

Attachments

• 33387564.jpg
    33387564.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 3331123456.jpg
    3331123456.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 8
  • teton nat parl.jpg
    teton nat parl.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 7
  • teton pix.jpg
    teton pix.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Teton_Mountains-7.jpg
    Teton_Mountains-7.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 8
Campor99 said:
FOUND A COUPLE OF YOU TUBE VIDEO THAT MIGHT INTEREST PEOPLE LOOKING TO TRAVEL IN JEEP'S CJ'S OR SMALLER SIDEKICK'S
      OR TRACKERS.  1.  " IAMJAKE"  TRAVELING IN CJ5/7  2. " ADVENTUREVANMAN" BRIAN INTERVIEWED A GUY NAMED NAMED "NATE"
      LIVING OUT OF SIDEKICK/GEO TRACKER.   BOTH ARE LIVING OUT OF VEHICLE NOT TENT CAMPING.  "IAMJAKE" IS TRAVELING AND
      FULL TIMING OUT OF CJ.

Have owned one each, Suzuki Sidekick, (same as Geo Tracker) Suzuki Samurai, and Jeep Cherokee. While I could not see living in either Suzuki's as they are just too small, and I'm over 6 ft, they were very capable off road. I could see maybe the Cherokee by either laying down or removing the back seat.
The CJ you mention should be able to tow a small cargo trailer, and that would be the only way I could do that. Again, just too tall.

Just got back from Wyoming, near Debois which is only an hour from the Tetons. I drove in on Memorial day and very few people leaving the wildlife management units where my son lives and works. At the free campgrounds (no dispersed camping within the units) my son said there were only a dozen people or so over the weekend. On Tuesday we drove the length of Horseshoe Creek Road and only passed maybe 4 cars in several hours. There are 2 campgrounds on that road and tons of dispersed camping. The only campers we saw were the hosts at each of the campgrounds. This road leaves right from downtown Debois. So yeah, the Jackson and Yellowstone can be very crowded in season, but don't let that discourage you from going to the area in the summer - you can enjoy some of the same scenery pretty close by and have it to yourself.

Anyone going to Dubois this summer stop and see my buddy at Heart-Bar BarBQue.  He may have one of his mules tied up out front.  He is a wanna be CRNLer.  If you ask real nice he is real easy to talk into taking the mules up to the mountains on sunday  He can tell you about some places he and God keep secret.  His name is Buddy Bevers.   Tell him Allen sent you.