My Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gunny said:
While on my self-imposed exile I stumbled across a car dealer with a small used trailer for sale.
<----snip---->
Here it is;
That really does look like a nice one. I wish you the best of luck with it. ;)

Gunny,

I'm going to offer you some unsolicited advice.

If I were doing this, before I traveled more than a few miles, I would stop somewhere they were used to working on trailers and have the wheels pulled and get all the wheel bearings inspected and either re-packed or replaced, as needed.  They would also adjust the brakes properly when they reinstalled the wheels.  Hopefully, you won't need new brake shoes, but it will certainly be cheaper to replace the shoes in CA than to have to replace the shoes AND the wheel drums when you get it home.

Finally, the tires need to be checked for age, signs of dry rot or other problems, etc.  A blown trailer tire can cause a lot of damage to the trailer when it lets go.  Far cheaper to buy and install new tires in CA before you start.

A lot of trailer tires are really cheap, made in China junk.  Over in the mainstream RV forums, they call them "china bombs" because of how often they blow up.  Even some of the well known tire brands have their trailer tires built in chinese factories.  Maxxis 8008's seem to be one of the best trailer tires currently available, and they would be my current choice for a trailer.

Good luck with it!

Thanks John, having the wheel bearings packed has occurred to me, I will find the nearest shop that can do it. He is a one man operation, I doubt he has a mechanic but probably can point to one.

Rob

Gunny make sure you have a good spare too.  I used to haul trailers for a guy that bought them at auctions and not having a spare can ruin a good day.  Also make sure you have a lug wrench that will fit your trailer lug nuts. Not all nuts are the same.  I've got a thing you can roll one of your trailer tires onto so you can take off the other tire if you have 2 tires on each side.  I'm not smart enough to give you a link to it but I'm sure one of our friends can find it.  They save a lot of time and you don't have to crawl around looking for a place to put your jack.  Horse people love them.

Allen

I'm going to have to rely on Good Sam Roadside service, My bum hip won't allow me to bend too much. I'll get the bearings packed and the brakes looked at and be on my way. Taking it slow on the way home. Thanks for the advice.

Rob

That's a handy looking device. Wouldn't hurt to have one if Good Sam was 3 hours away.

Rob

1400 give or take. about 2850 round trip.. I got 3 estimates for delivery and am still in shock.

Rob

I'm sure you know what your truck will handle, but 1400 miles one way is a stretch for a used TT that you don't know the history of.
I'd plan on new tires, or at the very least, have them looked at. Definitely get a spare too. That, and the bearings serviced, and you should be alright.
Also, when you're cruising down the freeway with trailer in tow, keep your speed down. Some of those TT tires just love to fly apart at anything over 55 mph.

Gunny said:
1400 give or take. about 2850 round trip.. I got 3 estimates for delivery and am still in shock.

Rob

Gunny ... when you going to pick up your new little home?  I cannot help with anything mechanical or carpentry but if I were near by I would bake you a pie .. for homecoming ...  Best to you ..

Thanks ceejay, leaving in the morning, should be out there late on the 1st. Thanks again for the well wishes..

Rob

Thanks Art and all the folks who've wished me well. 10am departure as soon as cat sitter has keys. My plan is to hit early in the morning of the second to avoid LA traffic.Ease back home a bit slowly making sure nothing falls off. I've got Tapatalk so will post some new pictures soon.

Everyone be safe, Rob,,,

Have a safe trip Rob. If you can post using tap-a-talk, keep us informed while on your adventure.

Gunny said:
Thanks Art and all the folks who've wished me well. 10am departure as soon as cat sitter has keys. My plan is to hit early in the morning of the second to avoid LA traffic.Ease back home a bit slowly making sure nothing falls off. I've got Tapatalk so will post some new pictures soon.

Everyone be safe, Rob,,,
Stay safe and take your time ....

Any updates Rob?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk