My Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question related to this post.  As mentioned earlier I will soon retire from corporate america and need to clear my head.  My wife and I are not sure we want to commit to a lifetime but have agreed we will give a year of the nomad life a try.

We found a 1995 Fleetwood about 25 ft, good roof and floor most everything works except the refrigerator.  Price is $2500 and is pullable by our 2500 Silverado.  Would the "experts" recommend a propane replacement ($1400) or a low energy 12V unit?  If we go with the 12V unit we would upgrade the battery system and perhaps add 400 watts of solar.

I am a mechanical engineer and rebuild motorcycles so I have some skills to do this job myself.

Thank you

KRR

rvpopeye said:
I built myself a set of steps.
2 steps , 3 feet wide with the top one extra deep . Kinda like a porch with room for a door mat to keep the crud out, very stable and I even cut the rise a bit to make it real easy for my mom to climb.
Rough cut scraps and a hand full of screws , almost free !
I just put it inside for travel but you have a truck so.........
Hey you could even use it to climb in and out of the truck bed !

Hi Rob,

If you end up needing a step or two let me know and I will build them and ship it to you.  Would be an honor.

Matt

Thank you very much Matt. Hip is feeling good today, without drugs I might add. Your offer warms my heart and I mean that. Thank you.

I guess the question that comes to my mind is:

How much do these homemade wooden steps weigh?  Will Gunny be able to bend over, pick them up, and put them in his trailer when it's time to hit the road?

Some of the commercial stuff costs a few bucks, but being aluminum and similar stuff, can be a lot lighter than homemade stuff . . .

The picture shows a retractable step already on it. I haven't seen it in person. Some of this I will just play by ear. Thanks for the offers and suggestions.

Rob

FASTLIKEJUDY said:
I have a question related to this post.  As mentioned earlier I will soon retire from corporate america and need to clear my head.  My wife and I are not sure we want to commit to a lifetime but have agreed we will give a year of the nomad life a try.

We found a 1995 Fleetwood about 25 ft, good roof and floor most everything works except the refrigerator.  Price is $2500 and is pullable by our 2500 Silverado.  Would the "experts" recommend a propane replacement ($1400) or a low energy 12V unit?  If we go with the 12V unit we would upgrade the battery system and perhaps add 400 watts of solar.

I am a mechanical engineer and rebuild motorcycles so I have some skills to do this job myself.

Thank you

KRR
You can buy a rebuilt unit that is warrantied (absorption) or a 12 volt compressor unit. many are happy with the compressor units.

http://www.rvfridgehouse.com/

Gunny, how are your knees? most RV pull out steps don't give the same feel as a proper step, and the one on mine stresses my knees, so if you have a 'worse' leg and a 'better' leg, like me, take it under advisement
Luckily, I have some milk crates I borrowed from work :D

KRR

You may be able to just replace the guts of that fridge for much less cost.

Good Morning all. Art my knees were fine I thought until my impromptu tuck and roll. The swelling is taking its own sweet time going down so no jogging today (or ever again).

I am lucky Bob didn't want me to do the gun class, part of my plan was to show a roll and fire .. Probably would have had to airlift me out.

Every Road Leads Home has kindly offered to build steps for me should I need them. I think that is one of the kindest offers I have received, period. Words escape me to express how good just the offer made me feel.

I hope everyone has a great day...Rob

Yes, ERLHs offer is very generous, i just wanted to give a heads up on how narrow the typical RV step is and how that can jack up a knee or two

I will probably pick a cheap step like Optimistic Paranoid showed, just in case.

I have to get my mobility scooter lift taken off the truck after the 24th which is my next trip to the big VA in Dallas. I'm hoping it's a simple removal, I still need the scooter after I get back with the trailer.

Rob

No clue, I've never installed or removed one, id it mounted to a receiver hitch?
I think you posted a pic before, but I didn't look close at the install

Yes it's mounted to the receiver hitch. I had it replaced once and it took the guy about 30 minutes to do it but they would not allow anyone in the work area. I am going to have my oil changed and get my mechanic to check it out.

Rob

if it took 1/2 hour to replace, it should be easy / cheap removal, shouldn't cost much

I talked to my mechanic this morning (he also does custom work on trucks) about the dual mount and he is checking. The atv is fine for some things but I believe the VA Clinic would not approve.

I may have to get air shocks or heavier springs, I have no clue.

Rob

Hadn't thought of that, good point, Uncle Sam can be unreasonable at times

I personally have had better luck with helper springs instead of air bags. I don't recall having anything that holds air not go flat eventually. When you install an equalizer hitch it will help a lot as well.

if you have rear leaf springs,helper springs would be the cheapest easiest way,they are a bolt on

air bags are great but can be spendy and are a mod

i am pretty much at hate when it come to air shocks