My Build (so far)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VagaboundSusan

Reaction score
Hello again fellow nomads. Just wanted to share a little bit about my build and my journey.

Full disclaimer: I am able minded and determined to complete this van to my satisfaction and enjoyment. I have rheumatoid arthritis but it does not have me.

I purchased this big beauty in June of this year along with a few basic tools and scoured the web for ideas that I could actually accomplish.  
35418534994_dd481f66c3_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_20170625_173741 by VagaboundSusan, on Flickr[/img]
Went to Habitat for Humanity and found 2 great pieces to help get me started.
36240263061_5d78412cfb_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_20170619_194513 by VagaboundSusan, on Flickr[/img]
36240263781_bbbec2a5b6_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_20170619_194518 by VagaboundSusan, on Flickr[/img]

With the help of the great folks at both Lowes and Home Depot I built out my floor, and insulated my van walls with 1/2" foam board. Choosing to remove the center console from between the front seats allowed me to extend the floor to the driver/passenger area, giving easy access to the interior of the van.

Realizing that straight cuts just do not happen with a jig saw, I chose to upholsterer the walls with some vinyl and batting that was found on clearance. 
36137553881_a97b82d716_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_20170713_162648 by VagaboundSusan, on Flickr[/img]

I flipped the wall insert (pantry) on it's side to use as a bed in the rear and have open in the back for storage. The other cabinet is mounted behind the drivers seat and will be used as a kitchen with a sink and stove. Several days after deciding on the final floor-plan I built a couch/lower bed in front of the rear one. This provides extra storage and seating plus extra sleeping for company.
36251821025_15fb13351c_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_20170709_195908 by VagaboundSusan, on Flickr[/img] 

Purchasing things off of my ever growing Amazon wish list has been a slow and painful process, but the toilet, fantastic fan and one mattress are now in my possession.

A small table was built to cover the toilet and also serves as a nightstand and prep area.(sits to the left of kitchen cabinet) Once the Dometic (cf-18) can be purchased, a second cabinet will be built to house it by the slider door close to the couch.

Last night I put the ceiling up, just bare bones for now. Later will be the trim and finishing. My lighting is led strip lighting 12v and several battery led touch lights.

There are so many more things to do before this winter and the next RTR because I am going. Terrified to climb on top of this van and cut a hole in it :exclamation:
36328953316_dfae69833a_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_20170803_195841 (1) by VagaboundSusan, on Flickr[/img]
35977062560_6e78be7e7c_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_20170803_200730 by VagaboundSusan, on Flickr[/img]
36205690062_786def759c_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_20170803_200817 by VagaboundSusan, on Flickr[/img]
35538103994_1118966210_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_20170803_195814 by VagaboundSusan, on Flickr[/img]

That looks like progress, should be comfy when you get finished. Is that paneling you put in the ceiling? What did you mount it with?

Dennis said:
That looks like progress, should be comfy when you get finished.  Is that paneling you put in the ceiling?  What did you mount it with?

I think it is 5 mm birch plywood. I needed something that was light enough to hold over my head with one hand while drilling with the other...lol. Did not want to loose another inch of height to this part so I used self tapping metal screws and mounted the boards to the cross beams. My arms feel like jello today :rolleyes:

Yeah, working overhead like that will give your arms a workout. You did good holding and drilling even if it was lightweight. :)

nice job,i would have a hard time cutting the roof too,any side windows open and can just hang a fan there?

Gary68 said:
nice job,i would have a hard time cutting the roof too,any side windows open and can just hang a fan there?

No side windows that open, unfortunately. Hopelessly waiting for a good weather report and a huge shot of courage.

Absolutely fantastic, Susan! I also have RA, so progress is slow but I am determined to get out there before I no longer have the ability!!

My first thought to see latest pics, is she an interior designer? Love it!

VagaboundSusan definitely has skills.   I looked at the specs on the Roberts Blackjack underlayment she is using and ordered some, should be here next week or two.  VS are you satisfied with the sound deadening that you've installed so far?  Too expensive to make it as quiet as a car.

gapper2

AbuelaLoca said:
Absolutely fantastic, Susan! I also have RA, so progress is slow but I am determined to get out there before I no longer have the ability!!

That is exactly what is driving me on this project. I have been sitting around since 2002 waiting for the worst of this damn disease to hit but when I stumbled upon one of Bob's videos my whole life changed. Suddenly I had a goal and something to look forward too. I can make it out there if I get this set up correctly.

gapper2 said:
VagaboundSusan definitely has skills.   I looked at the specs on the Roberts Blackjack underlayment she is using and ordered some, should be here next week or two.  VS are you satisfied with the sound deadening that you've installed so far?  Too expensive to make it as quiet as a car.

gapper2

The combination of that and the other layers has helped tremendously but I yet to take her out of city limits for a real trial. I did not cover my wheel wells and will probably regret that in the future.

Everything that has gone in so far is modular and can be taken out in a day. Will look at changing up some of my floor plan after this winter and little time on the road giving me another chance to correct the area.

If you do decide to cover your wheel wells, either deadener or reflectix with bubble wrap and aluminum tape custom fitted to the wheel well and then boxed in works wonders for cutting down on road noise.

VagaboundSusan said:
Hello again fellow nomads. Just wanted to share a little bit about my build and my journey.
Your van build is looking good thus far. I will have to keep an eye on your progress. That's a Nissan, right?

Ballenxj said:
Your van build is looking good thus far. I will have to keep an eye on your progress. That's a Nissan, right?

Yes, she is a 2013 Nissan NV 2500 HD Standard Roof.