Fold down bed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony's Dream

Reaction score
I am looking to add an extra bed to my van build for guests. Plan A is to make a murphy bed that would be mounted on the wall behind the the driver's side seat. Then when I need it, I would simply drop it down. The problem is that it would block the window when in the stored position. Plan B is to make a murphy bed that would mount against the wall and along the floor, keeping the window unblocked. Problem is that when I fold it down, it would be on the floor instead of being about 18" high. Plan C is to make a platform bed that I would store at home, then simply place it in the van when I travel with someone else. Problem is that it would take up a lot of space since it would always be down during the day.

I like plan B the best because it makes the most sense. Problem is that I need a way to lift the bed off the floor before going horizontal, some kind of sping system to help support the weight of the bed until I lower it down. I looked at murphy bed spring systems online but found nothing that would really work on my situation.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• van build 2.jpg
    van build 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Why not make one like the old wood/ canvas army cots? Or just use a knock down or folding cot? Or make a permanent one that folds in the middle of the length?

My personal preference would be a tiny teardrop trailer so you could use your van as intended and designed and have a solution stocked and ready to hitch up when needed. Van space is too precious to waste on temporary problems and dual purposes require too much compromise.

Why not make one like the old wood/ canvas army cots? Or just use a knock down or folding cot? Or make a permanent one that folds in the middle of the length?
I'm wondering that, too. I have two cots. One in my truck bed and a spare. Both are pretty comfy. One I paid too much for, but it clears a wheel well. Just has legs on the ends.

I am going through a van rebuild right now and just got through with swiveling the passenger seat. Now I am looking as the space in front of the sliding door and extending backwards. I am thinking that with a little measuring and planning I might be able to insert a temporary guest bed in that space. It would require the addition of some sort of support, a cushion, and using the swiveled passenger seat. Thus far this is just an idea I have done nothing with, but it might be something to consider.

I did consider those options......but we have always found folding cots uncomfortable. I was looking at a folding couch design on Amazon (Heyward 4.5” Trifold Sofa + Mattress), just haven't thought of a way to build a support frame to get it off the ground.

My personal preference would be a tiny teardrop trailer so you could use your van as intended and designed and have a solution stocked and ready to hitch up when needed. Van space is too precious to waste on temporary problems and dual purposes require too much compromise.
I had an A frame camper before I switched to a van. Not a big fan of towing trailers. I once found myself on a small road that ended in a huge wash out.....leaving me to back out for over a mile before I could turn around. :cautious:

So make a trundle bed instead of a Murphy bed. It pulls out from under your everyday bed and it can still store things inside of it. They get used in guest and children's rooms when there is not enough floor space to have two beds out full time.

Murphy beds are far from the only option style that is tucked out of sight. There are also beds that fold out of chairs and cabinets.

0r put in hooks for a hammock for yourself or your guest. Keep it simple and easy to store away.

But if you insist on a bed you can move up high and flat against the wall put T-tracks on the wall and insert hinged fittings that fit into the track with stops at the bottom for the right height to match folding legs or removable legs. You can add some extra stops with knobs to keep it held up high with a clamp up by the ceiling to hold it against the wall when not in use. Places such as Rocklers sell T tracks in different lengths and width. T-tracks are often used for making jigs and fixtures for woodworking/cabinet making. You would have some fabricating work needed to create the hinged fittings that slide in to the track. That is unlikely to be an off the shelf item but you never know what you will find until you start looking. .

Last edited:
I am looking to add an extra bed to my van build for guests. Plan A is to make a murphy bed that would be mounted on the wall behind the the driver's side seat. Then when I need it, I would simply drop it down. The problem is that it would block the window when in the stored position. Plan B is to make a murphy bed that would mount against the wall and along the floor, keeping the window unblocked. Problem is that when I fold it down, it would be on the floor instead of being about 18" high. Plan C is to make a platform bed that I would store at home, then simply place it in the van when I travel with someone else. Problem is that it would take up a lot of space since it would always be down during the day.

I like plan B the best because it makes the most sense. Problem is that I need a way to lift the bed off the floor before going horizontal, some kind of sping system to help support the weight of the bed until I lower it down. I looked at murphy bed spring systems online but found nothing that would really work on my situation.

Any ideas?
Some toy haulers make beds that rest on the ceiling & drop down. A cheaper route might be a hammock or a human "doggy" bed. Can have the ol' lady find a link to the doggy beds if you like. Haven't tried them, but they look comfortable.

So make a trundle bed instead of a Murphy bed. It pulls out from under your everyday bed and it can still store things inside of it. They get used in guest and children's rooms when there is not enough floor space to have two beds out full time.

Murphy beds are far from the only option style that is tucked out of sight. There are also beds that fold out of chairs and cabinets.

0r put in hooks for a hammock for yourself or your guest. Keep it simple and easy to store away.

But if you insist on a bed you can move up high and flat against the wall put T-tracks on the wall and insert hinged fittings that fit into the track with stops at the bottom for the right height to match folding legs or removable legs. You can add some extra stops with knobs to keep it held up high with a clamp up by the ceiling to hold it against the wall when not in use. Places such as Rocklers sell T tracks in different lengths and width. T-tracks are often used for making jigs and fixtures for woodworking/cabinet making. You would have some fabricating work needed to create the hinged fittings that slide in to the track. That is unlikely to be an off the shelf item but you never know what you will find until you start looking. .
I never heard of using t-tracks, something I will look.

I never heard of using t-tracks, something I will look.
I never heard of it either. But I did not have to have heard of it to know it can be done. .I am a designer, I design in 3 D Cad. I worked as a lead mechanic at Boeing. I also worked 20 years for a product designer. I work with a wood, plastics, a metals and I know know a lot about hardware and adhesives. I have built a lot of jigs and fixtures including using T-track and fittings that go into it. That means I can "see things" that other people who do not have a parts catalog of experience in their heads cannot imagine as a decent, and innovative possibility that is structurally sound. I could sketch it up in 3D CAD but this is my busy season of the year and I need to focus on generating extra income. But one piece of advice, borrow the upright ribs on the van sidewalls as locations to fasten to for extra stability and load bearing strength for whatever you do for a wall hung bed. Those steel ribs will help transfer the weight load on down to the floor of the van and on into the bottom framing under the van. You have to think like a bridge engineer for transferring loads through the structural framing when suspending objects on a wall. The shape of T-track is also a good load bearing structural shape that is not prone to twisting, bending and otherwise deforming. If you need help raising and lowering the bed use a pulley or two. Light, strong and relatively inexpensive.

Last edited:
I guess in your case I believe you’d know before heading out on a trip vs someone who lives in their van totally 24/7 whether you’d have said company. Then maybe your plans can work and then remove at home when it’s just you. No matter what we do in our tiny spaces we have to make sacrifices.
I like the idea of the teardrop… or a fold out camper as a bedroom. The more you build into the van the less space you have to work with for you. Your already kinda sacrificing… plus you have whatever they are bringing for their needs… your space shrinks fast!!! And you have your space organized for you. Are you ready for clutter? That’s my experience…

I like most people, but I am more or less a recluse. I would fear that if you make a guest to comfortable they may not want to leave. My solution to guests would be a small tent.

It's a matter of how much space you're comfortable using when it's not set up. No matter what you'll probably have blankets. The first one has a mattress, the second one does not. You can go many ways with pillows.

This folds up into 8" x 41"
LILYPELLE Folding Camping Cot, Heavy Duty Sleeping Cots with Carry Bag, Double Layer Oxford Portable Travel Camp Cots for Home, Office Nap and Outdoor Beach https://a.co/d/idbaRtk

This one is under 5 pounds and folds into a very small space.
MARCHWAY Ultralight Folding Tent Camping Cot Bed, Portable Compact for Outdoor Travel, Base Camp, Hiking, Mountaineering, Lightweight Backpacking (Grey) https://a.co/d/3QhCOjd

I am looking to add an extra bed to my van build for guests. Plan A is to make a murphy bed that would be mounted on the wall behind the the driver's side seat. Then when I need it, I would simply drop it down. The problem is that it would block the window when in the stored position.
Just saw this fold down bed in a FB Group for Class B's. My eyesight is bad, so I can't tell how it was made (exactly).

In the up position, it looks like you could leave the frame open where ur window is.

Attachments

• bed1.jpg
    bed1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1
  • bed2.jpg
    bed2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1
I'm not sure how your van is setup now. A couple years back, I built out a Chevy Express and I had made a pull out extension making a full sized bed. During the day, it would slide back and make much more room inside the van. It was slates, ones that were on one side that were stationary, and the other on the pull out section. Maybe that would work for you?