Finally got the floor in!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Process:
- Cleaned & prepped floor
- Filled the bolt holes
- Waterproofed & cut all furring strips
- Liquid Nails wood strips to metal van, screwed trellis together at joints
- Cut Owens-Corning Foamular to fit
- Sealed all edges over with foam tape
- Waterproofed all plywood. Laid floor. Built the step out so kitchen can sit atop it.
- Joined 4 corners of plywood with metal plates, using sculpting tools to sit flush. Covered with foam below plank.
- Sealed all plywood seams with Sikaflex
- Applied planks

I probably should have secured furniture down first, built things, and then laid down the plank, but I'll cut the flooring when necessary. It's a floating floor, so it's easily lifted or replaced. Still have to put on the floor edging and re-sand and stain the wooden step to match. Also bought some groovy tile that's on the way, for above the step. Anyway, thought I'd share. Really excited to have the floor and the bed in. Almost done with the window shades. Next are the walls and ceiling!

Attachments

• IMG_3885.jpg
    IMG_3885.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3887.jpg
    IMG_3887.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3888.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3890.jpg
    IMG_3890.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3893.jpg
    IMG_3893.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3744.MOV
    22.4 MB
  • IMG_3836.png
    IMG_3836.png
    400.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3872.jpg
    IMG_3872.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3875.jpg
    IMG_3875.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3878.png
    IMG_3878.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
How about that electric repair.............
Yes, looking forward to your help, Doug, thank you. We're taking a surprise trip to Oregon for Thanksgiving, otherwise we'd have come this week... Looking like early, mid-December? I'll text you and Paulette to make sure you'll be around.

Just a little update... finished the stair tiles, stain, and nosing!
- Sealed the tiles with Thompson's water seal, so temp fluctuation won't be an issue (hopefully)
- Liquid nailed them to the wood panel. Caulked with black sikaflex
- Cut the nosing with tin snips. Super hard. Probably should've asked my BF to do it. Didn't do 45° angle cuts, so it's kind of janky but it works.
- Marked and drilled holes through the vinyl planks, quite a bit larger, so that they can expand/contract if necessary
- Secured nosing to plywood subfloor
Phew! ( : Hope everyone has a lovely holiday!

Attachments

• IMG_3836.png
    IMG_3836.png
    400.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4209.JPG
    IMG_4209.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4212.JPG
    IMG_4212.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4227.JPG
    IMG_4227.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4229.JPG
    IMG_4229.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
You did a nice job even without the mitered inside corners. I'd suggest changing the flat head screws you used with round head screws as it will be less to catch on. You could also countersink the screws but that would be more work. I would also peen the sharp/slighty bent pieces at the corners. For what sounds like little experience you had it looks very good.

You did a nice job even without the mitered inside corners. I'd suggest changing the flat head screws you used with round head screws as it will be less to catch on. You could also countersink the screws but that would be more work. I would also peen the sharp/slighty bent pieces at the corners. For what sounds like little experience you had it looks very good.
Thank you, I appreciate that! Yes, I do need to sand down those edges. I may replace the screws at some point too. The new floor has already started to scratch. It's supposed to be super durable, non-scratch material. First time out camping xmas eve and the garage has already scratched up. Grrrr. Going to place some rubber matting over top in the back area. One reviewer said that she had 3 dogs that run all over her floors with no problems. Can't imagine using them in a house with such poor performance. Ah well... everything is replaceable.