Floor and side wall advice needed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaLvan

Reaction score
We have a Chevy Express Passenger van that we took out all seats and put in a plywood floor over the seat rails.  We used the manufacturer's insulation that had been under the manufacturer's vinyl mat under the plywood.  It is a fibrous material - looks like recycled clothing and such.  We are wondering it that was a good choice or if we should pull up the plywood and put foam insulation instead.  We are wondering if that fibrous material will absorb and retain moisture? If we need to change it to sheet foam insulation, we want to do it before we get all the cabinets built and in place.  The first photo is the floor with insulation shown.  

Originally, we just left all the stock plastic interior on the walls.  However, in order to give us some more space, we have removed it down the passenger side of the vehicle.  We are getting ready to insulate it with polyiso panels.  At this time, we only plan to insulate the one side of the van as we will leave the remaining plastic interior in place since it covers the rear heat/air unit and all the duct work.  We are wondering about the actual value of the insulation given that is a passenger van with windows all around and the fact that we are not insulating the entire van. The manufacturer's insulation on the plastic panels is not more than 1/2 thick and doesn't cover completely the plastic panels anyway as shown in second photo.  The supports around the windows don't have any insulation at all.  

I know in an ideal world, we would strip the entire van and start from scratch.  We knew getting the seat rails out was going to be a real challenge and the same for the back heating and air system, not to mention also the rear air bags.  So, we went with the more expedient solutions.  The van is for extended travel (up to 8-10 weeks at a time) not full time living.  

Just looking for advice before we proceed too much further.  Thanks!

Attachments

• floor and insulation.jpg
    floor and insulation.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 9
  • manufacturer insulation on panels.jpg
    manufacturer insulation on panels.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 7
the short answer is yes.

That factory insulation will absorb moisture like a sponge and is very difficult to dry out once it does. If it ever gets wet from something spilling on it you will never get it dry in a timely manner. Once it is soaked you can not even move it, if you try it will just come apart.

I would remove and replace.

Highdesertranger

I would agree, that stuff as very little insulation properties, And as said if it gets wet, it is done..

I removed the rear heating unit from my minivan, it was not that bad, Actually pretty simple. IF you do this.. You will also have AC lines Most likely on the underside of the unit.. Have your AC coolant Removed from a AC place(not expensive)..

You can get AC line Plugs, which are rather expensive for mine I paid $40 a piece.. simple to put on.. then you can recharge your AC your Self, with the cans from your Auto parts store..

For Insulation there are certainly better choices..

I have the cargo version of the express so was easier, built a subfloor over Kilmat sound deadener then 1" polyiso foam , plywood and finally vinyl plank flooring.

Attachments

• 20210917_115717.jpg
    20210917_115717.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 0