Todo's Insulation Thread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Todo

Reaction score
So my van is gutted, a 97 high top Chevy Astro conversion van, and hopefully tomorrow I'll start on insulation.

While not trying to be cheap, I need to be frugal, so it may be able to be done cheaper, and certainly higher, but I'm thinking I'll be happy with my plan.

Starting with the floor, it has ribs in it so I'm planning on getting a 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" Foamular, the pink stuff, and cutting it into 2" wide strips to fill in the rib voids. The voids are actually only 3/8" but that works out better. Over that, I'll use 3/4" foam flooring.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZL38J3/?coliid=IJ8VOBZ2KDTZC
I figure foam that thick should help with noise dampening as well, plus if I can find some cheap rubber sheet/mat, I'll put that down first in the middle section of the van.
I'll add something to the wheel wells too, but not sure what yet, I'll have to calculate square feet of them, a couple products I've looked at get pricey.

For the walls, it is a conversion van and i have those conversion van windows. In the process of gutting, I found the windows had thin plywood surrounds on each of them. Removing those, I see they had cut back the body support channels a bit, and that the plywood helped stiffen them as now when I close a door with windows up, I see the sides bulge out.
I'm going to get some sheet metal strips and tappet screws and help brace the windows on each side, and for insulation I'll probably end up using 1" Foamular and Great Stuff. As of now my plan is to cover over the the middle window on the drivers side. I'm not sure what I'll put in the window yet, maybe a piece of Reflectix or Foamular, but either way I'd like it to look black from the outside so I'd have to do that somehow.

The ceiling is just raw fiberglass painted white with Kilz white primer, in keeping headroom at a maximum I hadn't planned on anything in the ceiling, plus it's got a lot of curves, angles, and irregularities. It just popped to mind though I may try Reflectix to cover it using some adhesive spray.

Thanks for looking, any input is welcome!

Polyiso from Home Depot and Lowe's has the highest R-value of any that I can find. I used it in 1/2" and 1" thick sheets. My new to me cargo van is now super insulated.

Yeah, I think they're phasing that stuff out, it's still on both their websites but says not in stock at or near my local store and not available for delivery. I had heard of it previously from build posts on van life blogs.

There's plenty at several stores in my area, maybe it's a local thing.

Home Depot is not the only plave in the world tompurchase insulayion from. Most populated regions have comanies that sell all kinds of insulation and usually also vontract tyheir services to homeowners. When I was putting addions on my houses I used to own those were the kind of places I shopped at for insulation matetials. The prices were better than Home Depot and the lumber yards.

Well that's retarded, when looking at Home Depot, searching for Polyiso brings up products as I'd mentioned above, but searching for eps insulation board brought up Polyiso in stock. But they only have 1/2" and 2", I think 2 is a little thick.
I did read though XPS/Foamular is better for floors I think because it's denser or something.

Maki, I don't think we have anything like that around here, Home Depot and Lowes have pushed out anything like that. Just a guess though, I don't know for sure, I'm in VA about 20 minutes outside of DC.
Being I'll only need 2 or 3 sheets, I'm fine with just going to Homer Depot.

Also, I found this on Polyiso:
It's R-6 per inch during the summer, but only R-4.5 per inch on a cold day in winter. The insulating performance of polyisocyanurate insulation is significantly degraded at cold temperatures.

Maki,
Actually I found a place not too far from me, Capitol Building Supply.
Although they don't have the 1/2" listed, I'll check with them for the thicker stuff.
Thanks for the tip!

Here us a link to a current insulation thread on this forum, might have some answers for you from dwellers who did van build outs. 

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=41743

I used sheets of the pink stuff (poly iso XPS) attached with hot glue gun.    -crofter
-
Link to supply catalog listing
https://insulation4us.com/products/...ZA3eHfJuYu78LGIG4t_b71ZM-C1cT8P4aAiKtEALw_wcB

This type of insulation does not bend nicely, so if you have a curvy vehicle might not be for you. My Promaster cargo van has a square profile, and I was able to make the bends I needed with combination of hot glue and mechanical pressure from thin wood ribs installed over the insulation.
-crofter

Here is a demo on subfloor insulation, link to video below.  I did not insulate the floor, just reflectix under the plywood. But I did consider doing it this way.
-crofter

This from your link here:
"I think all-in-all I spent way to much time thinking about insulation. My van is freezing when its cold out"
I don't have a heater, I may add a small heater core/fan  for emergencies but would require running the engine.

I've looked into this on and off for a few years now, and very much on the past few months after getting a van to do it with.
I'm not looking to do a subfloor, just XPS strips in the ribs and foam flooring. I'm 6'4" and don't have a Sprinter/euro style van and need to keep all my headroom!
:D

In my van the floor plywood is structural as everything is mounted on the floor, took up half inch headroom. Since I'm short it still works. I also bolted my D rings thru the floor so I can still secure cargo.   -crofter

You raise a valid point sir!
I should add an actual subfloor to attach what I'm planning on building in the back but probably just 1/4" or 3/8".
Then also I'd probably rethink my flooring choice.

I am really thinking of adding Reflectix to the ceiling. Initially wanted to leave it alone for rain sound effects and white painted to reflect light from LED strips I'll add.
Reflectix shouldn't really interfere with either, seems like it would reflect light as well.
Backside of the fiberglass is a little rough but I'd imagine something like this should work to hold it in place:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Super-77-Multipurpose-Spray-Adhesive/3033222
If anyone can recommend something better, please do.

Well, not often I say this, but Ace is the place!
Only local place that has in stock, and any place online is either twice the price or may ship in a month or two.
Thanks for the product plug HDR.

I ended up buying this for the walls and doors.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Knauf-I...-6-1-4-in-x-15-in-x-39-16-ft-524192/303653731
They didn't have what I went for initially but found this and decided to give it a try after seeing & feeling it, didn't realize it was fiberglass until I looked at it on their website.
Feels nice and soft, unlike fiberglass.
I know this could and probably is a moisture trap, but I want to try and build the wall panels to be easily/semi-easily removed for just such a thing.

that's for 6 inch walls and should not be compressed. yes it is a moisture trap. highdesertranger

It comes compressed, it's one long strip rolled up and only about an inch thick rolled up so it must decompress quite a bit for wall use.

highdesertranger said:
that's for 6 inch walls and should not be compressed.  yes it is a moisture trap.  highdesertranger

X2 on moisture trap.  I've opened up RV walls that appeared dry and normal only to find damp and moldy fiberglass insulation.  In a van that spells rust and a funky mold smell.

Owen's Corning pink foamular is closed cell and has great insulating properties.  I have 2 inches on all 6 sides in my step van and use only 1 pound of propane nightly in 26 degree F. weather.

I will never use open cell anything in an RV.

The van is so cut up in the back, Foamular will be a pita to install as there is no big single areas. It's a smaller Astro van with conversion windows.
I know it's not ideal, but it's cheap and easy, besides even if it does rust out the inside of the walls, it's not like that's going to happen this year, the next, or even in the next 5 or 10.
I'm looking to see if whatever the fiberglass is coated with adds any moisture protection, or maybe I'll look at spraying it with some sealer.
I'll be installing it with barrier to the wall.
I haven't used it yet, may end up returning it.