My better years behind me?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyc

Reaction score
At age 50, I feel like I'm going through another midlife crisis. I read a recent article in some mens health magazine about men at age 50 feeling depressed that their better years are behind  them and their future years seem uncertain with anxieties. I'm not depressed myself, but I do sympathize that my better years may be behind me, especially cuz employers generally want to hire younger peeps. I used to feel like I was part of the "in" crowd in my 20s and 30s. Nowadays those are just pleasant memories for me of how things used to be. I'm now learning to adapt to this new age and economy. I took a lot of things for granted in my younger days, but now I am grateful and appreciative for the things I have. I don't have much anymore like I used to. But the things I have are what I need most as necessity as opposed to wants. I keep reading sad news about longtime residents losing their apartments due to high rents and I at least feel grateful that I'm ahead of the curve with my van. Learning to be grateful is a daily exercise in my life nowadays. Sorry if this all sounds like ranting. Just the thoughts on my mind for the past year. -Casey

Maybe my perspective is a little different (I've got a few years on you) but as far as I'm concerned, my best years are ahead of me. I look forward to many more of them and I'll take as many as I can get. I have enough that I want to do that I'll have to live to at least 150 and the list grows each time I look at a map... :D

I'm long finished with child rearing and all the inherent responsibilities and costs. I'm newly retired and absolutely loving it.

My time is my own to do with as I please. Some days that's sitting in a comfy chair reading a novel. Other days it's exploring this wonderful planet we live on.

I'm healthy and getting more healthy each month. I work at it knowing that being healthy is the key to being able to live my chosen lifestyle as long as I can.

I have more than enough money to live on since I learned a long time ago to live on very little - I don't need a large house, mortgage, car payments or a fancy wardrobe. I'm perfectly happy living in the van and being around good people. I have a plans  B and C for when travelling constantly is not Plan A.

I sleep well at night knowing that tomorrow is another adventure waiting to happen. There is nothing I can do to change yesterday but I can do my utmost to make sure that tomorrow is at least pleasant if not downright extraordinary.

Just turned fiftynine myself.  Physically my better years may be done but I still look forwards to the future.  
My outook is that my life is like Starwars.
In my youth I was a young adventurous Luke Skywalker.
As I matured I was a self-assured Han Solo piloting my course through life.
Lately I feel like old Ben Kenobi, retired and sometimes passing on my experience and knowledge to the younger generation.
When I become Yoda.....  I reckon I will be ready to go......    :D

I've had some issues, physically, these last few years. But I absolutely refuse to roll over and die. I'll get through this current pile of crap and my life will be better than ever.

I'm wondering if being tied down to a job as part of the "working poor" class is making me feel this way? If I were retired and didn't have to work so I can travel, maybe I'd be happier? Just wondering.

I think your presumption that your better years are now gone is a good thing.
And this is why............
When you get started in this lifestyle and see how much you love it compared to all that "best years" stuff it will make your new adventures so much better than you ever thought possible!

caseyc said:
I'm wondering if being tied down to a job as part of the "working poor" class is making me feel this way?  If I were retired and didn't have to work so I can travel, maybe I'd be happier? Just wondering.

Don't know if I am "happier" being retired (the big cut in "pay" hurts), but I do have far less stress.  And I spend my days doing the tings I want to do.  Don't use my alarm clock any more.    Let's say I am ......  "Content".   ;)

Casey, sounds to me like one of those wake up punches that come up in life once in awhile. Everyone gets them. Age has a way of sneaking up on you. A sense of humor goes a long way towards handling it. Don't dwell on the downsides, rather look for things that make you happy. Friends can be the best anti aging medicine going.

caseyc said:
I'm wondering if being tied down to a job as part of the "working poor" class is making me feel this way?  If I were retired and didn't have to work so I can travel, maybe I'd be happier? Just wondering.

Hello caseyc.

Do you think it's time for you to get out of LA? It doesn't seem like a very good place to be at now a days. Is it time for you to claw your way out of a rot? Temp. work can be find just about anywhere around the country. Becky at http://www.interstellarorchard.com/2016/04/02/new-jack-city-ca/
At the bottom of her latest post she mention that they are looking for staff where she worked at last year and it's in CA.
Sometime change is as good as vacation.

All the best to you

Nicole

I certainly hurt less when I was younger.  

But my life could be a country song. ~~~ (Thanks Waylon Jennings) 

Well I look a little rough and I got a few miles on me
My body needs work and my style ain't what it used to be
And honey I'll admit there's places where I'm wearing thin
But I ain't broke down, I'm just getting broken in

[Chorus]
Well I may be worn, but baby I ain't worn out
Let me take you for a ride and I'll show you what I'm talking about
I guarantee, there's a lot of me left to left to love
Well I may be used but baby I ain't used up

[Verse 2]
I've been wrecked a few times and honey it shows I guess
There's been once or twice that you could say that I was repossessed
There's one little thing that I think ought to be understood
It ain't how you look, it's what you got under your hood

By the way, I live in San Francisco bay area (not L.A.). Been here since I was 14. I call this place home even though it's become crazy rent expensive in recent years.

Hey Caseyc chin up no major health concerns getting rid of bills gotta place to lay your head, sure you cannot expect to get the looks and winks (even though you will) just from likeminded people Just think about your confidence and war record you will say "not to bad". Perhaps take a vacation think about a road trip, i will be headed to Nevada and northern Az early May. you can do this (emotionally)

Caseyc,

I remember when you first bought your van, how excited you were. I was slightly ahead of you in the process. So a couple of years later, reality has set in for both of us. Again, I think I'm slightly ahead of you in this.

It seemed to me that everybody on here was deliriously happy, living in their various vehicles, wandering from place to place. I hit every continental state and western Canada, saw many beautiful and interesting places. But after a while, everything began to look the same (yep, another big mountain, another vast desert, been there, done that). I had met many and overcome many challenges. All solo, too, by choice. And one day, I was sitting outside my van in a beautiful forest, bored out of my mind, and I realized that the best times (and the worst, too) were when I had met someone who got my brain going. Someone unusual with stories to tell. The retired tiger trainer, the woman musher, the through hikers. People who had met and overcome their own challenges and obstacles. Vandwelling had become a been there done that for me. Now what?

I read a quote somewhere that went something like: the cure for stuck is still. Just wait and something will come up. So that is what I did. And sure enough, it did. It meant giving up the van travels! Oh NO! It meant doing things and becoming someone that I never thought I would do or be! New challenges! And being with People! Me? No way! Yet here I am, in an RV parked long term in one of "those" RV parks, and trying to be The Best Grandma In The World. Who woulda thought?!

So, even though each day now may seem exactly like the day before, that the challenge of living the van life isn't a challenge (and not so much fun) anymore, just wait. Something will come to you and off you'll go! New adventures, whatever they may be for you.

Casey, I think we all hit that age where we wonder " Is that all there is?" but it's not. It's been proven that males go thru menopause , not quite as noticeably as a woman but still a part of a guy aging. That's why you see so many grey haired guys driving Corvettes.

I've been all over the world, all over the US but never taking time 'to smell the roses', always on business. I've met people who are dying from hunger while their leaders and military are getting fat off of US aid to the Russian Zillianair  (I know that's not a number but) who has a solid gold toilet. Some nice some not so nice. My point is ... you seem to have a decent life, just not everything you think you want. It will come.

I'll be 66 tomorrow, have a decent retirement income, 6 kids all college grads with no student loans, tho the youngest is still in school with the goal of becoming a pediatric oncologist. 

I also have a bad heart, I am "pacemaker dependent" meaning if the battery dies so do I. There are times I feel a little tingle and my mind thinks "Is this it?" but according to my Drs. my heart has not declined anymore so Hell, why worry?

I've been a 'lurker' on this site for years and remember many of your posts. You've always been helpful and seem to be a nice guy. Don't let the little stuff (Bob won't let me use the actual word) get you down.

Look forward to meeting you someday... Stay strong.

I can relate, Casey. It's frustrating to work just to survive, knowing that the American dream is likely out of reach forever.
I'm 54, only skilled at construction. But my body is failing me and I can't do that work much longer. Very little savings. Somewhat jaded about life. I feel invisible, being older and living in a van. Not really part of society. The phone seldom rings. If I disappeared, it would be awhile before people noticed. Friendships seem very superficial and temporary.
But I still find enjoyment in a few things. I've always loved reading and libraries and thrift stores have more good books than I can ever read! People-watching is my favorite past-time, especially kids with their pets. I still have curiosity; about the future, the next place I'm going to, new foods, how my beard would look if I grew it for a few years. And I have favorite places to visit and still enjoy a few people's company.
It's unfortunate that we age and grow cynical about life. It's up to us to find those things or people that revive our zest for living.