Moab UT in October

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The switch backs and about 20 miles are dirt but all washes you cross are concreted but still impossible to drive when wet or water flowing to deep to cross.

Hey KoreyC this sounds like a blast! Ive been dying to do some little trips before I transition to full time in January! I have the 16th off school, but have to work on the 17th. I could be there Friday the 12th around 10pm and would leave early morning on the 16th. I have 2 dirt bikes I would likely drag down there, and I'm sure my truck could keep up with you on mild trails (never seen any trails in Moab before). I also have some personal experience with free camping to the south east of Moab near a city called La Sal. If you get your exact dates ironed out let me know and I'll be there!

I will save this thread for the great tips and possible meet up.

I am leaving the east cost tomorrow with Moab area as destination. Will visit friend in Colorado.

I have never been to Moab or Escalante . Looking forward to it.

I’ll be a bit south of Moab heading to Sedona on the 20th, starting the 6th or 7th. I’ll spend the most time between Bullfrog and Escalante.

I am planning a trip from CA to do the Grand Circle in Oct. Sounds like it will be crowded. Bummer. But if it is the best time of year it could be possible. I will keep checking in on this thread.

SunDance

This thread really is chalked full of awesome tips and info Element Gypsy, so much knowledge and great advice from this community. Im screenshotting left and right haha.

Sry I havent been on. In NM now and have had really bad to no service at my prior camp site. I’m near Santa Fe now and found a spot with great LTE service. I think im going to start heading to Moab or that general area on Monday October 1st. Will probably be rolling in on the 2nd or 3rd of Oct. I’m going to try to stay around that area all of October for sure if I can swing it. Reading through all of these posts has made me even more excited!

Sundance ill post updates when I get there and let everyone know how it looks. Hopefully some others will be there in the vicinity and will post as well. Im going to google the Grand Circle, never heard of that.

DenverDMax come on out! My Jeep is pretty stock and is my home base so I’m not going to do anything crazy, basically just slow roll in the back country, take it easy, and enjoy the beauty, so a truck or SUV would definitely be great for that! I have a winch and recovery gear if needed as well, but doubt that we would. You would probably have a blast with a dirtbike out there also as I’m sure you know! Heck even walking is fun in Moab ha.

QinReno I’ve never heard of Island in the Sky but thank you for giving me something else to research because that name alone sounds like something incredible!

DLTooley thanks for letting me know about the trust land. That may make it possible for me to be in that area all of October and that would be amazing. I’ll be reaching out to you and Bullfrog for sure when I get into the area. Hope to be able to link up with you both if its at all possible.

Bullfrog thanks for the weather as well. Sounds like its perfect in the Henry Mountains right now. I sleep the best when its 40’s or 50’s at night and my black lab Buddy sure likes the lower temps better too! 70’s at night usually has him panting a bit even with the fans running.

Everyone on here has turned this from blindly heading into Moab because it sounded fun, to actually having somewhat of a plan and some fallbacks if that first plan doesn't work, and hopefully will get to meet some people too. For that I can’t say thank you enough to everyone! I really hope some of you can make it out. Its looking like it’s going to be a great time with pretty nice weather and I look forward to meeting anyone who can make it!

Hi everyone. Looks like I will take 80 to salt lake city to see a friend, then go south from there.
So vast!
Might keep the gas cost down and take 89 see Bryce Zion? Heck.
The canyonlands look awesome, but with the way the roads go..IDK, lots of driving already.
Keep in touch

Be sure to check for road closures on 89 or 6 if coming south from Salt Lake City. Smoke from several different forrest fires in the mountain passes have caused tempory detours.

KoryC you might want to buy boots for your pup or toughen up his paws. Everything out here has stickers or cuts even Lake Powell has thousands of mussel shells that are sharp. I now wear shoes to the beach.

I checked the weather and it looks like Byrce is going to be chilly next week. Sux. Lows in the 30 s. Daytime in the 50 s.
I physically can't take the cold at all.
Will look at other places. Probably just have to drive through and see what beauty I can, keep heading towards vegas where its warm.
I was delayed leaving the east coast. Wanted to leave weeks ago.
Oh well. I have never seen the Hoover dam area so maybe that will be on my list.
Sorry I can't meet in Moab. Seems like a lot of extra driving. Coming from the east coast with all my possessions, I'm really cramped in the E .

Safe and happy travels Element Gypsy. I used to live in SLC and loved it there!

Bullfrog thats a good idea. Not to mention it will probably be good entertainment seeing him walk all funny at first with boots on while trying to figure them out ha. Every spot ive camped so far has had broken glass in it, so I think I will order him a set. Don’t know why I didnt consider it before. He’s an older fella and literally like my kid, so anything to take away some of my worry out here for him is greatly appreciated.

I didn’t realize there was a page 4 lol, im new at forumns. So I just seen your last post Element Gypsy. Where on the East coast are you from? I took off from Michigan, so I understand avoiding the cold if possible for sure! Sorry you can’t make it but definitely see the Hoover if you can. Thats on my list of places to see down the line.

I lived in vermont for many many years. Just sold all my stuff and moving south west I guess. I dont know. Can't afford to keep up the bills anymore. Going to spend a few months in Mexico this winter. Puerto Vallarta.

Bryce is relatively high in elevation so it will most certainly be cooler. There is some sort of sustained storm coming in also.

Good looking out on the weather DLTooley! I just googled that and seen the warnings until Wednesday if thats the same storm you’re talking about. Even with 4x4 I wouldnt want to get stuck in flooding or wet sand in Moab. I may piddle around NM until Wednesday to hopefully miss the storms. Thank you!!

Element Gypsy I was thinking of Mexico as well for a part of the winter but it’s just the dog and I and for some reason I felt worried rolling into Mexico the first time alone. When you make it to Puerto Vallarta keep me in mind and if you want some company for a couple days then shoot me a message. Otherwise, hope you have a blast down there!

KoreyC said:
I may piddle around NM until Wednesday to hopefully miss the storms.

What part of NM are you going to piddle in to miss incoming storms, Korey? I'm holding off heading to NM for at least next week to see what will happen due to weather from Hurricane Rosa.

Still warm but windy here at Lake Powell. Rain looks like Momday and Tuesday that may be more than our yearly average with cooler temps. I would give the roads at least two or three days to dry out if we get an inch or more of rain. It will get soaked up quickly or run off as we haven't had a good rain this year. Hwy 95 can flood but the waterfalls are really beautiful.

Dennis I am right outside of Santa Fe right now in a free campground called Casa Del Real or something like that. Its still perfectly sunny and clear skies here for now, high 70’s daytime, 40’s and 50’s at night. I feel way out of the loop because today was the first I’ve even heard of any storms coming this far inland lol. I guess I’m going to stay put here or maybe head further South for a couple of days and check out Roswell or something. If it gets too bad ill hunker down in the Jeep and hold on ha.

Appreciate ya again Bullfrog. Maybe I’ll push off arriving in Moab until the 7th or so of October then. I woke up this morning to a dead starter battery in the Jeep, broke the tightening bolt on the battery terminal, and racked my hand hard when the bolt broke (still throbbing). Maybe todays events are a sign to stay put for a few days because it correlates with this weather perfectly haha.