Masterplumber's cargo trailer conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterplumber

Reaction score
So I've been back from RTR for a week now. I had quite a few people there want to take a gander at my trailer, so I thought I'd finely get off my duff and post a thread about  it. I make no claim as to it being any better or worse than anyone else's It's just an idea I had and so far I've been happy and comfortable with it. I still have some things to do, but they will take a while as I've used up the money I had to spend. My intention is to chronicle the build up to this point, then add to the thread as I add details. Since I've been working on it for a year, it will take me a few posts to get up to date. Please feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer. I hope you enjoy reading about the process as much as I've enjoyed reading all of the other builds here.

DSCN1348.JPG
The build starts. Taking off the original 1/8'' luan and adding windows

DSCN1350.JPG
Detail on how I added windows

DSCN1349.JPG
I used awning type windows so I could leave them open in a light rain

Attachments

• DSCN1350.JPG
    DSCN1350.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN1348.JPG
    DSCN1348.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN1349.JPG
    DSCN1349.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 65
Great, a build thread! :)

Where did you get those awning windows? I ment to ask when we were talking, and then . . .

Insulation was next. I know everyone has a different idea of how much, what type, etc... This seems to work for my use. I don't use the trailer too often in extreme heat, and I just add or remove layers of clothes if I get uncomfortable. The only time I've had an issue to date was last Labor Day weekend. I was visiting my sister in California and I made the mistake of parking with the left side facing South West and not in the shade. It was a bit over 100 degrees and it took a long time for the interior wall to cool down that night. The Fantastic fan got the heat out of the interior air quickly, but the thermal mass of the wall, even as small as it is, took till probably 2 AM to cool down.

DSCN1468.JPG
I used 1'' foam board on the walls. The ceiling framing was a bit thicker so I used a layer of Reflectex and then 1'' foam in it. I taped all the joints with code approved duct tape as it seals better than the cheap stuff, and sticks better. I've stayed in the trailer in the low teens and it also seems to work somewhat as a thermal bridge. The only condensation I noted was on the screw heads holding the paneling to the wall and ceiling framing, rather than the usual stripes of condensation I've experienced in my truck topper where the ribs show through the paneling. I'm sure part of this is also attributed to the fact that the trailer studs are are just "Z" metal, and the topper is framed in aluminum tube. I'll talk about how I dealt with the floor in a later post.  

In the above picture you can also see the Fantastic fan installed, along with the electrical conduit (Smurf Tube). I ran the conduit to a box on the roof for future solar, along with one along each side of the ceiling for interior wiring. I did this for a couple reasons, 1st to protect the wiring, and 2nd to make it easier to add or remove wires both initially and in the future. 

Attachments

• DSCN1468.JPG
    DSCN1468.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 140
So now the bad news, I did a terrible job documenting the rest of the build. I took a bunch of pictures today and will try and explain how I got to this point as I post them. I apologize in advance for the not great quality of the photos. I enjoy good photos immensely,  but have never taken the time to learn much myself. We all have our strengths, and this isn't one of mine. all pictures were taken with a Nikon Coolpix point and shoot.

DSCN1528.JPG
All the low voltage wiring was run in 14 gauge or 12 gauge to this Blue Sea 12 circuit block with a built in ground bar. I used 100% LED lighting. I also did something that I don't see done often, and it did add considerable cost in wire, but hopefully will eliminate problems down the road. I ran a separate feed and ground from every fixture all the way to the panel. My theory is this, most of the electrical issues I've seen in the past have been either ground problems, because they are usually just connected to the closest frame member by a screw, or loose connections where one wire is attached to another by means of a quick tap. You'll see an example of a quick tap in this photo, where a black wire connects to a yellow at the relay next to the Blue sea panel. It's the only one in my trailer, and it connects the trailer backup light circuit from my truck plug, to the relay that runs the trailer backup lights. They run off the trailer battery so there is very little current in that wire. They can also be turned on via a switch in the trailer. I may even change that out as it bugs me. The loop in the heavy ground wire and the brown wire wrapped with it are for a future shunt to connect a Bogart Engineering power meter. They're expensive, but will tell you so much more about your electrical system than just a volt meter.

DSCN1511.JPG
All of the 12 volt runs through this master switch ( the big red one) with the exception of the 1000 watt inverter. I will probably run it through the master in the future also, just in case I forget to turn it off.  The reason for the double gang of 110 plugs is one set runs off house power if I happen to have access to it, and the other set runs off the inverter. This set up is matched on the other end of the counter, along with the 12 volt outlet. There's also a 110 volt, and a 12 volt outlet down near the floor on this side. They are to run a future fridge when I can afford it. That would sure beat ice on long trips. When that happens I'll add a second batter and the solar to keep up. 

DSCN1527.JPG
I used this Odyssey batter. I used the same one in my last camper - a Four Wheel pop up - and it was still good after 11 years. They're expensive, but built very well. They are AGM type so I feel safe having it in my living space.

Attachments

• DSCN1528.JPG
    DSCN1528.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN1511.JPG
    DSCN1511.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN1527.JPG
    DSCN1527.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 63
Now for the clean and gray water systems. being a plumber, I originally had all these grand plans to have a pressurized system, water heater, etc... Then I realized i was not building the simple trailer I wanted, and was going to take up a lot of space and spend a lot of money. So back to square one.

DSCN1502.JPG
The sink is an Ikea product. Even though I have access to all kinds of plumbing products at wholesale prices, I couldn't find anything like this in any of the catalogs. I'm not sure who makes this for Ikea, and it's fairly thin stainless compared to what I'm used to, but it fits the bill, was only something like $25, seems to be holding up well, and even included the drain assembly. The hand pump I picked up at a local RV supply - make sure you get a good one. The first one I bought wouldn't even pump water after I primed it by sucking water all the way out the spout! Fortunately I was able to return it. The Igloo cooler is something I've had for years. I keep good drinking water in it, even if I have to filter it first. I keep potable water in the tank under the counter, but I don't worry about taste etc... since it is used mainly for cleaning. 

DSCN1512.JPG
Under the sink I have 2 Reliance 7 gallon cubes. 1 for potable water hidden behind the porta potty, and one for gray water. The clear tube rising past the electrical box goes from the potable water to the hand pump. The drain is connected via a trap and hose that is usually found on pop up campers. It usually is routed out of the wall, but it had the male hose fitting I needed to connect it to the tank and still be able to disconnect it quickly. I wanted a gray water tank as sometimes it is not desirable to dump the water on the ground right then. The porta potty is rarely used, but handy when needed for those places in between - not out in the bush, but no toilets available. The electrical box in the picture is the disconnect for my future solar. There are 2 number 8 wires running through the conduit to a junction box on the roof.

Attachments

• DSCN1502.JPG
    DSCN1502.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN1512.JPG
    DSCN1512.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 100
My layout is beds at the back, lengthwise, which I'll show later, and kitchen in the front. I wanted to still be able to use this trailer for cargo, so most of the built in stuff is in the front V nose area. Most of the rest either removes or folds up. 

DSCN1499.JPG 
I still need to build doors for the cabinets. The baskets are actually made for peg board. Since my paneling is 1/4'' thick, I drilled the appropriate holes where I want to place them. They came in packs of 3 from Home Depot. In the upper cabinet I only keep light weight stuff, mainly coffee and other hot drink stuff. The mirror is attached with double sided tape and many mirror clips. In almost 8000 miles of travel it hasn't budged. Under the counter I've mounted extra shelves for storage wherever I could. The little basket next to the radio is where I set my Ipod and plug it in.

DSCN1509.JPG
DSCN1510.JPG
I built this chuck box probably 15 years ago. It works well, and allows me to move cooking outdoors for things like bacon. I'll probably build a nicer one in the future, but I'm still noodling ideas. In use the stove pulls out and sets on top. Currently I'm still using the little green bottles, but plan to mount a 20 LP bottle on the tongue in the future. It will connect to both the stove and the heater. Right now I use a Mr Buddy, but plan on a Dickensen sailboat heater later.

Attachments

• DSCN1499.JPG
    DSCN1499.JPG
    294.6 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN1509.JPG
    DSCN1509.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN1510.JPG
    DSCN1510.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 81
As I said in the previous post, the beds are run lengthwise at the back.

DSCN1508.JPG
This is the left side.

DSCN1518.JPG
And this is the right side. I haven't made cushions yet, so I currently just use some backpacking pads. In the 2 above pictures you can also see  some vertical storage, mostly gun hooks, coats hooks, and a wall file for each persons reading material. There's a reading light on the back wall for each bed also. The conduit I mounted at the curve of the roof is for hanging all kinds of things, like towels or clothes that need to dry. I've even toyed with rigging up a hanger for a mountain bike on each side. 

DSCN1514.JPG
And here's the bed folded up to make more room. I store my dry food in the milk crate and the extra cooler between the beds. The extra cooler also makes a nice night stand.

Attachments

• DSCN1508.JPG
    DSCN1508.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN1518.JPG
    DSCN1518.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN1514.JPG
    DSCN1514.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 88
A few details.

DSCN1506.JPG
I built a box around the spring assembly for the ramp door. It also houses the rear speakers. I plan to put a curtain across the back to hide the ugly door. Speaking of the door, it's also fully insulated.

DSCN1524.JPG
DSCN1526.JPG
I installed a flip up tire chock and 4 of these tie downs.

DSCN1532.JPG
To haul this! It actually fits between the 2 beds, and far enough forward to still sleep in the trailer without unloading, handy while on the road between places.

DSCN1522.JPG
Spare tire mount I made on the outside. It's bolted through all of the upright framing in the ramp so it's very solid.

Attachments

• DSCN1506.JPG
    DSCN1506.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN1524.JPG
    DSCN1524.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN1526.JPG
    DSCN1526.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1522.JPG
    DSCN1522.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN1532.JPG
    DSCN1532.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 65
A couple more random pictures. 

DSCN1525.JPG
Here you might be able to tell how I dealt with the floor. There is a layer of felt carpet padding under a layer of plush indoor/outdoor carpet. Then I put down horse blankets as throw rugs. The horse blankets are have worked out great, very tough and machine washable. The carpet and pad are just laying in there, that way I can pull them out and sweep out the entire trailer. The carpet actually sweeps off pretty well. This flooring has been in the trailer for 8 months, and many trips, and shows no sign of fraying even though the edges aren't bound at all.

DSCN1535.JPG
Wolf finds the beds plenty comfortable. You can also see the dry goods ice chest cum nightstand.

DSCN1530.JPG
And just in case any one thinks breaking in is a good idea.

Attachments

• DSCN1525.JPG
    DSCN1525.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN1535.JPG
    DSCN1535.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN1530.JPG
    DSCN1530.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 43
Great job and nice trailer! 6' x 10'??

My next one will be a 6 x 12 V nose, so I'm right there with ya!! :D

Patrick46 said:
Great job and nice trailer! 6' x 10'??

My next one will be a 6 x 12 V nose, so I'm right there with ya!! :D

Thanks Patrick. It's a 6 x 12 on the tag, but actually measures about 11' 6'' to the start of the V. I bought the trailer used, but barely. If I recall it's a 2010 model. I can't find this model on Carry On's web site so I don't think they make it anymore. Too bad, as I really like the size and layout. Other's do, but beware, when I was looking it seemed there was no standard for the size/angle of the V nose. Some were so shallow that you really could only build about a 1' deep cabinet in them.

masterplumber said:
So now the bad news, I did a terrible job documenting the rest of the build. I took a bunch of pictures today and will try and explain how I got to this point as I post them. I apologize in advance for the not great quality of the photos. I enjoy good photos immensely,  but have never taken the time to learn much myself. We all have our strengths, and this isn't one of mine. all pictures were taken with a Nikon Coolpix point and shoot.

All the low voltage wiring was run in 14 gauge or 12 gauge to this Blue Sea 12 circuit block with a built in ground bar. I used 100% LED lighting. I also did something that I don't see done often, and it did add considerable cost in wire, but hopefully will eliminate problems down the road. I ran a separate feed and ground from every fixture all the way to the panel. My theory is this, most of the electrical issues I've seen in the past have been either ground problems, because they are usually just connected to the closest frame member by a screw, or loose connections where one wire is attached to another by means of a quick tap. You'll see an example of a quick tap in this photo, where a black wire connects to a yellow at the relay next to the Blue sea panel. It's the only one in my trailer, and it connects the trailer backup light circuit from my truck plug, to the relay that runs the trailer backup lights. They run off the trailer battery so there is very little current in that wire. They can also be turned on via a switch in the trailer. I may even change that out as it bugs me. The loop in the heavy ground wire and the brown wire wrapped with it are for a future shunt to connect a Bogart Engineering power meter. They're expensive, but will tell you so much more about your electrical system than just a volt meter.

All of the 12 volt runs through this master switch ( the big red one) with the exception of the 1000 watt inverter. I will probably run it through the master in the future also, just in case I forget to turn it off.  The reason for the double gang of 110 plugs is one set runs off house power if I happen to have access to it, and the other set runs off the inverter. This set up is matched on the other end of the counter, along with the 12 volt outlet. There's also a 110 volt, and a 12 volt outlet down near the floor on this side. They are to run a future fridge when I can afford it. That would sure beat ice on long trips. When that happens I'll add a second batter and the solar to keep up. 

I used this Odyssey batter. I used the same one in my last camper - a Four Wheel pop up - and it was still good after 11 years. They're expensive, but built very well. They are AGM type so I feel safe having it in my living space.

I can't tell from the photo but it looks as if you have a small ring terminal on the positive post under a larger ring terminal. 

If so that's a no no, Largest first  then successively smaller and no more than 4 stacked on a post. 

Mike R

I see you are another KLR650 guy! What year? Mine is an '05. I have an open 5X10 utility trailer to haul it, but am hoping to eventually enclose it and make it a "Toy Hauler Camper Trailer".
One concern I'd have is the water lines running right alongside the electric boxes. Possible problems....?

MikeRuth said:
I can't tell from the photo but it looks as if you have a small ring terminal on the positive post under a larger ring terminal. 

If so that's a no no, Largest first  then successively smaller and no more than 4 stacked on a post. 

Mike R

Could you explain why on both of these?

PS. Why is my favorite word... :)  I not only need to know all the 'rules' but why!

MikeRuth said:

Mike R

Thanks Mike, I had heard that before, and it was that way until I added the inverter. I must have swapped them in a rush. To answer Almost There's question a couple post further, I believe it has to do with the amp draw on each line, or something to that effect, but maybe Mike can hop in and explain it further. In this case it probably isn't as big a deal, as the black wire is the charge feed from the vehicle plug, and in theory anyway, it only has a draw on it when the other's aren't being drawn from. This is because I always unplug my truck when I'm parked and using power in the trailer. I do this because for some unknown reason the charge output on my truck is always hot, even when the key is off. If I left it plugged in, and was parked long enough, I could draw down my truck battery. My last truck, a '95 Ford with the factory tow wiring was only hot when the truck was running. My current truck is a 2012 Ram and I guess Dodge has their reasons for doing it this way?

LeeRevell said:
I see you are another KLR650 guy!  What year?  Mine is an '05.  I have an open 5X10 utility trailer to haul it, but am hoping to eventually enclose it and make it a "Toy Hauler Camper Trailer".
One concern I'd have is the water lines running right alongside the electric boxes.  Possible problems....?

Hey Lee, mine is a 2003, with a 2008 front fender. It catches a lot less wind than the stock fender. It was olive green when I got it a couple years ago with 3500 miles on it. I changed all the faded plastic to black, just because I like black bikes. It now has 29,000 miles on it as I like to ride long trips even more than traveling with my trailer.  :D Hence the reason for all the Wolfman luggage.

I have a 5 x 10 utility trailer with 2' sides also, that I toyed with enclosing. I decided not to for a couple reasons. One, it would have been much heavier as the utility trailer is built very stout. Two, it's awful nice having an open bed around to haul slash, mulch, gravel, and yes, even the KLR on occasion. The only downside is that CO added a bunch of fees a few years back so we have I think the 3rd highest registration fees in the nation - but it's ok because we have some of the least maintained roads to make up for it :p The utility trailer used to cost me $14 per year to register, and now it costs $ 45 per year.

As for the water line, it only has water in it when you are actually pumping, and it's under suction. you can leave the pump handle in one direction to maintain the prime, but I usually don't as the line is so short it only takes a pump or two to get water flowing. When your done the water in the line drains back into the tank, which is located below the electric. If I had a pressurized system I might run it differently, but frankly, being a plumber, my pipes should never be leaking. :)

Almost There said:
Could you explain why on both of these?

PS. Why is my favorite word... :)  I not only need to know all the 'rules' but why!

The current flows through the flat parts of the connectors.  By putting a small connector UNDER a larger connector, you are reducing the surface area that actually makes contact on the large connector.

Regards
John