Masterplumber's cargo trailer conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeRuth said:
I hate going off topic so I'll quickly say Optimistic Paranoid is right on the money and suggest you take a gander over here for more....
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_meltdown_averted

Now hopefully back to Master Plumbers build.
PM me otherwise.

Thanks Mike, and Optimistic Paranoid. I love simple explanations, especially when they make more sense than the long winded one I'd heard previously. Next time I'm working on the trailer switching those wires will be the first thing I do. Will probably run the inverter feed up to the master cut off at the same time.

Well masterplumber this is a really nice build and you have given me many ideas for my 6 x 12 build. I have one question what size are the windows you installed and how are they working out for you? I plan on putting a bulk head in at the back so I can add a screen door and use the drop door as a patio. Thanks for sharing your build with use really a nice rig.

Ok, I'm officially jealous now. No, maybe not. It's more like I'm deeply contented just looking at all this goodness.

mprincesr said:
Well masterplumber this is a really nice build and you have given me many ideas for my 6 x 12 build. I have one question what size are the windows you installed and how are they working out for you? I plan on putting a bulk head in at the back so I can add a screen door and use the drop door as a patio. Thanks for sharing your build with use really a nice rig.

The windows are 18'' wide by 15'' high. They are awning type so they hinge at the top and open at the bottom. I love them as I can leave them open a little even in the rain. For the door window I just bought a standard RV door window frame off Ebay and cut a piece of acrylic to fit, I've towed the trailer over 8000 miles since I installed them, and they've been in temperatures from below zero to almost 120 degrees. They still operate as new and no leaks - I couldn't be more pleased. I've thought about various ideas for a screen at the back, or even making a whole screen room over the ramp. I have a few other things still to do before that and I'm not sure how much I'd use it as it's rare that I'm parked for more than a few days to a week at a time.

masterplumber said:
The windows are 18'' wide by 15'' high. They are awning type so they hinge at the top and open at the bottom. I love them as I can leave them open a little even in the rain. For the door window I just bought a standard RV door window frame off Ebay and cut a piece of acrylic to fit, I've towed the trailer over 8000 miles since I installed them, and they've been in temperatures from below zero to almost 120 degrees. They still operate as new and no leaks - I couldn't be more pleased. I've thought about various ideas for a screen at the back, or even making a whole screen room over the ramp. I have a few other things still to do before that and I'm not sure how much I'd use it as it's rare that I'm parked for more than a few days to a week at a time.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to order those windows as soon as possible I think they are much nicer the regular RV windows. As far as the Rear screen my build will have a  20 X 24 closet drawer set on one side and a 24 X 24 Bathroom on the other so it closes off most of the rear when the drop gate is open making adding custom made oak screen door easier. That way if I am parked in the desert or on Forest land I can open the rear and use it as a porch and leave the back open if it is hot the screen door will give great ventilation with the windows open and the roof hatch. I am going to use a split screen on the side door like you see advertized on TV I think that will work best. Now If the snow and ice will just give up I can get on with the build.
This is what I am planning on doing with my trailer.
Box-Trailer-Cabnet-Layout.jpg

Nice layout Mike, before you start make sure you evaluate any future needs as well. That's part of the reason I built mine with fold-able beds and a removable kitchen. One other suggestion, you might think about having the toilet on a pull out into the aisle. Then you can use the rest of the compartment above for storage and not lose all that space. I like the idea of a screen door at the back in your layout, I think it will work well.

I agree...that looks GREAT!!

One thing you might consider, is to make the bathroom door (in RED) to open against the bed, so that when it's open, it actually latches against the closet on the opposite side...thus blocking off the entire rear of the trailer area into a big bathroom/changing area. Now you've got twice the square footage when you're inside the bathroom, without adding anything to the trailer itself.
Close the door, and everything goes back as it was. :)

just a thought. (I was gonna do this on my last stepvan.)

(btw...Dec 1, 2015 hasn't arrived yet!!) :D

Attachments

• Box-Trailer-Cabnet-Layout.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 84
masterplumber said:
Nice layout Mike, before you start make sure you evaluate any future needs as well. That's part of the reason I built mine with fold-able beds and a removable kitchen. One other suggestion, you might think about having the toilet on a pull out into the aisle. Then you can use the rest of the compartment above for storage and not lose all that space. I like the idea of a screen door at the back in your layout, I think it will work well.

Thanks for the feed back. Some great ideas masterplumber. The bed will fold up as you have suggested. The will be storage under it about 24" x 76". I like the idea of pulling the toilet out in the aisle.

Patrick46 said:

One thing you might consider, is to make the bathroom door (in RED) to open against the bed, so that when it's open, it actually latches against the closet on the opposite side...thus blocking off the entire rear of the trailer area into a big bathroom/changing area. Now you've got twice the square footage when you're inside the bathroom, without adding anything to the trailer itself.

Thanks for another good idea will see how that will work once I get to start this build. Every time I get ready we get snow and ice storms this last one dumped 18" on use. Not cool in Kentucky. LOL

Patrick46 said:

Now I would have set up the door to open the other way since there's IIRC there's only going to be a screen door at the back (other than the lift gate). That way when the door was opened to use the toilet, it would effectively close against the screen door for privacy.

After living with a porta pottie that pulled out of it's cupboard for several years, I'm doing the new one with a lift lid that is cut on a downslope that will clear the toilet seat lid so that I don't have to pull it out every time I want to sit! It grew to be a PITA, particularly when almost full - it was heavy then and also the plastic bottom against the flooring scuffed the vinyl flooring over time. 

Almost There said:
Now I would have set up the door to open the other way since there's IIRC there's only going to be a screen door at the back (other than the lift gate). That way when the door was opened to use the toilet, it would effectively close against the screen door for privacy.

After living with a porta pottie that pulled out of it's cupboard for several years, I'm doing the new one with a lift lid that is cut on a downslope that will clear the toilet seat lid so that I don't have to pull it out every time I want to sit! It grew to be a PITA, particularly when almost full - it was heavy then and also the plastic bottom against the flooring scuffed the vinyl flooring over time. 

After living with a porta pottie that pulled out of it's cupboard for several years, I'm doing the new one with a lift lid that is cut on a downslope that will clear the toilet seat lid so that I don't have to pull it out every time I want to sit! It grew to be a PITA, particularly when almost full - it was heavy then and also the plastic bottom against the flooring scuffed the vinyl flooring over time. [/quote]

I agree, dragging the porta potty out on the floor is a pain, I currently have to drag mine out from under the sink so I honestly have yet to use it. I was thinking more like on a heavy duty slide shelf like in the picture below. I've been in this rig and it is a one finger operation. Plus they have a shower base in the entry below so they can shower there also.

WESCOTT'S TOILET.jpg

Attachments

• WESCOTT'S TOILET.jpg
    WESCOTT'S TOILET.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 46
masterplumber said:
I was thinking more like on a heavy duty slide shelf like in the picture below. I've been in this rig and it is a one finger operation. Plus they have a shower base in the entry below so they can shower there also.

That's what I'm doing in the FreeWheelin', putting it on a slide-out tray.

Just a short update. In some of the pictures you can see the drinking water cooler is sitting on a Frisbee. It needs to be raised a bit to get a glass under it. I wanted something a little nicer, and I wanted to be able to strap it in place instead of putting it on the floor every time I moved camp. So I took some scrap wood and Formica and made a little raised trivet. I also added a couple anchors to the wall - one screw from each anchor goes into the steel wall framing so they are secure. Then I repurposed some straps I had laying around. I like the way it turned out.

DSCN1641.JPG

And with the cooler in place

DSCN1642.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1641.JPG
    DSCN1641.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1642.JPG
    DSCN1642.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 31
I don't think I ever posted a photo that showed the overall layout. I thought it might be helpful to get a feel of the overall space so here you all go.

DSCN1635.JPG

I just realized how cluttered it looks right now, I'll have to work on that.

Attachments

• DSCN1635.JPG
    DSCN1635.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 194
masterplumber said:
I don't think I ever posted a photo that showed the overall layout. I thought it might be helpful to get a feel of the overall space so here you all go.

I just realized how cluttered it looks right now, I'll have to work on that.

Like the way you have it setup masterplumber really a nice build.

Yeah...that's a lot more roomy and open then a van. I LIKE IT ALOT!!! :D

I also like your wainscoting. Gives it a nice homey feel in there!

As for the rear bathroom, and your screen door...let's take it one step further...

I'd switch the screen door to open from the driver's side, AND, add a solid door behind it as well.

This way, when you have your ramp down, you can have either a screen door, or a solid door, which will also block off the opening so you can use your big bathroom in privacy WITHOUT having to put the ramp up.

Attachments

• Box-Trailer-Cabnet-Layout.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 75
Patrick46 said:
Yeah...that's a lot more roomy and open then a van. I LIKE IT ALOT!!! :D

I also like your wainscoting. Gives it a nice homey feel in there!

As for the rear bathroom, and your screen door...let's take it one step further...

I'd switch the screen door to open from the driver's side, AND, add a solid door behind it as well.

This way, when you have your ramp down, you can have either a screen door, or a solid door, which will also block off the opening so you can use your big bathroom in privacy WITHOUT having to put the ramp up.

Thanks Patrick46 now that looks more like what I would like to do. That is one thing great about this place you guys come up with some really good ideas. Will do just that with the doors once I start to build this thing if winter will ever just go away.

You're quite welcome. Glad I could help.

I'm a bit of an inventor, and I also do a lot of custom fabricating, so I come up with this stuff all day long. :)

need help with anything else??

There is a thread going in the van area about working and living in a van. One person suggested adding a trailer and then living on one and working out of the other. I didn't want to highjack that thread, but thought I'd give an update of how my set up has worked for me.

First, background on how I use mine. First I need to state up front that I don't live in my trailer fulltime. I have a sticks and bricks house, complete witha shop, garage, and 1.125 acre of land to store things and build things. So I don't have all my worldly possessions in my truck and trailer. I do however travel out of town often for work, and live out of my trailer while away from home. I work as a general contractor, as well as a plumbing and mechanical contractor. So I carry a lot of tools with me all the time.

So far this set up has worked the best for me, and I have tried different set ups in the past. I live in the trailer, and sometimes haul extra material or larger tools like a table saw to the job site with it. I use the truck to carry me and my tools to the job, along with any other running around I need to do. I would need a very large vehicle indeed to be able to carry all the tools and live in at the same time. Probably the best I could do is a semi with sleeper and a large box behind.
Part of the reason this has worked so well for me is sometimes I can't camp in the same place as the work is. I may need to camp several miles away. With the tools in the truck and the living in the trailer this isn't a problem. And when I'm done working for the day I have a nice camp to return to that's already set up. When I had a pop up cab over camper, and a different cargo trailer full of tools, it was always a hassle to break camp every day and go to the job, then set op again every night.

So at this time in my life, with the life I lead and the work I do, this has by far been the best set up for me. I still have a couple things I'd like to refine on the trailer, and will post those improvements when I get them done. I just thought I'd give this update as it seems some are in the process of deciding what will work for them. Maybe my experience can be of some help.

masterplumber said:
There is a thread going in the van area about working and living in a van. One person suggested adding a trailer and then living on one and working out of the other. I didn't want to highjack that thread, but thought I'd give an update of how my set up has worked for me.

First, background on how I use mine. First I need to state up front that I don't live in my trailer fulltime. I have a sticks and bricks house, complete witha shop, garage, and 1.125 acre of land to store things and build things. So I don't have all my worldly possessions in my truck and trailer. I do however travel out of town often for work, and live out of my trailer while away from home. I work as a general contractor, as well as a plumbing and mechanical contractor. So I carry a lot of tools with me all the time.

So far this set up has worked the best for me, and I have tried different set ups in the past. I live in the trailer, and sometimes haul extra material or larger tools like a table saw to the job site with it. I use the truck to carry me and my tools to the job, along with any other running around I need to do.  I would need a very large vehicle indeed to be able to carry all the tools and live in at the same time. Probably the best I could do is a semi with sleeper and a large box behind.
Part of the reason this has worked so well for me is sometimes I can't camp in the same place as the work is. I may need to camp several miles away. With the tools in the truck and the living in the trailer this isn't a problem. And when I'm done working for the day I have a nice camp to return to that's already set up. When I had a pop up cab over camper, and a different cargo trailer full of tools, it was always a hassle to break camp every day and go to the job, then set op again every night.

So at this time in my life, with the life I lead and the work I do, this has by far been the best set up for me. I still have a couple things I'd like to refine on the trailer, and will post those improvements when I get them done. I just thought I'd give this update as it seems some are in the process of deciding what will work for them. Maybe my experience can be of some help.

I don't think you'd be hijacking with this info MP.... I think he needs to read this for sure because you have GREAT reasons for doing the set up the way you have. I'd post this on his thread if you have not done so.