Looking to buy a cargo trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tx2sturgis said:
Since those little trailers are perfect for larger touring bikes, they would also be perfect for small economy cars, and I suspect they would be just about ideal for a Prius or other small hybrids....maybe even a smart car.....

With a small economy car thats sits pretty low, you can (or should be able to) see the trailer behind you, which is a lot safer and makes it easier to back up if needed. But they kinda disappear in your mirrors behind a pickup or van.

Well, yes, you can add 'bumper guides' to just about any of these smaller trailers...or cameras, an observer or spotter, maybe even a trained monkey that screaches before you hit something!

Bananas not included.

:p

And in fact I added a single bumper guide to one of my small trailers (I was fresh out of trained monkeys!)....it helps a lot, but you really need to use a lightweight fiberglass or wooden pole or stick, whatever, that is flexible or breakable. That's for safety of course, but the downside is that it will eventually bend or snap away, and then you are left with a blind backing situation...unless you carry a couple of spares. Maybe just clip it on when backing? 

Anyway, if you are motivated to make it work, then you can make it work. Where there is a will there is a way!

I don't know what your budget is, but maybe look at the WeRoll trailers. Very lightweight but strong. They are pre-insulated and pre-wired. They also have a 1 piece roof to prevent leaks.

The OP wants a trailer to haul food, provisions, and supplies...so the we-roll trailers would be overkill for that application. You don't really need windows, insulation, and electrical hookups for hauling provisions and supplies.

tx2sturgis said:
Well, yes, you can add 'bumper guides' to just about any of these smaller trailers...or cameras, an observer or spotter, maybe even a trained monkey that screaches before you hit something!

Bananas not included.

:p

And in fact I added a single bumper guide to one of my small trailers (I was fresh out of trained monkeys!)....it helps a lot, but you really need to use a lightweight fiberglass or wooden pole or stick, whatever, that is flexible or breakable. That's for safety of course, but the downside is that it will eventually bend or snap away, and then you are left with a blind backing situation...unless you carry a couple of spares. Maybe just clip it on when backing? 

Anyway, if you are motivated to make it work, then you can make it work. Where there is a will there is a way!

Now there is something I hadn't thought of.  I wonder how much it would cost to feed and maintain a monkey.  LOL  I LOVE your humor.  Seriously though, I really appreciate all of your feedback!   :D

GntlStone said:
I don't know what your budget is, but maybe look at the WeRoll trailers. Very lightweight but strong. They are pre-insulated and pre-wired. They also have a 1 piece roof to prevent leaks.

Thanks for the input.  My budget is small unfortunately.  In fact, I am hoping for a second stimulus check to happen so I can afford to get a small used trailer.

A cargo rack on the back of the van/build a box on it????

Trailer bought!

Attachments

• IMG_8037-2.jpg
    IMG_8037-2.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8040-2.jpg
    IMG_8040-2.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8038-2.jpg
    IMG_8038-2.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 6
Very nice, it looks like the Aluma brand m/c trailer....I had a friend years ago who dragged one behind a Honda Goldwing all the way from Farmington NM, to Key West FL then up to Anchorage Alaska....and then back home again....it was the little trailer that could....

tx2sturgis said:
Very nice, it looks like the Aluma brand m/c trailer....I had a friend years ago who dragged one behind a Honda Goldwing all the way from Farmington NM, to Key West FL then up to Anchorage Alaska....and then back home again....it was the little trailer that could....

Thanks.  I didn't realize that Aluma made an automotive trailer and definitely not one that looks just like their motorcycle trailers.  Then I saw one posted on craigslist on Friday and I locked it down right away.  It is exactly what I was looking for.

You might want to buy a cable lock for the wheels and a coupler lock, that way you can attach it to a tree or a pole in a campsite and not worry as much about it when you leave camp. 

They hold quite a bit of stuff and you can carry folding chairs, tents, coolers etc on the top. The really nice thing is, no brakes required, and it wont reduce your MPG by much, since it rides in the van's 'wind shadow'....

Just be careful when backing, it will quickly move left or right and before you know it you have to pull forward and try again...

Have fun!

highdesertranger said:
congrats.  highdesertranger

Thanks highdesertranger!  It has been quite an intense search, but I feel that I found just the right trailer!

tx2sturgis said:
You might want to buy a cable lock for the wheels and a coupler lock, that way you can attach it to a tree or a pole in a campsite and not worry as much about it when you leave camp. 

They hold quite a bit of stuff and you can carry folding chairs, tents, coolers etc on the top. The really nice thing is, no brakes required, and it wont reduce your MPG by much, since it rides in the van's 'wind shadow'....

Just be careful when backing, it will quickly move left or right and before you know it you have to pull forward and try again...

Have fun!

Thanks tx2sturgis! 

The trailer actually came with a coupler lock, a simple one that is like a padlock and slips through the pin hole at the top.  I was looking at the other ones which are two-piece and slip over the whole thing, but thought that this might still be enough.  And I also wanted to get cable locks for the wheels too so that is next on the agenda. 

I have the trailer scheduled to be painted white this weekend to match the van so I am excited about putting it to work for me!

I was going to ask about whether you intended to paint it....post pics when you get that done.

Just FYI....a coupler lock on that small of a trailer is just for looks. If someone with a pickup and chain wants to hook up to it and drive off, they can, coupler lock or no coupler lock. 

To have a bit more peace of mind, you need a good cable lock or chain and padlock that you can pass thru at least one wheel, maybe around the axle swingarm, and then around a tree or a pole.

Speaking of wheels, did it come with a spare?

Yes, I do intend to get the trailer painted.  The plan is to get that done this weekend, but it may get put off until the fall, but when I do, I will definitely post some pics.  And since I have never posted pics of the buildout for the van, I will post them in this thread as well as a link to a video that I did about the buildout that is posted on YouTube.

I don't have the type of coupler lock on the van that you are talking about.  If I understand correctly, the type of lock you are talking about is a two-piece lock that slips both over and under where the ball is.  The original owner of the trailer also said that they really didn't do much good.  He always used a small lock that has a pin that goes into the pin hole once the lever is clamped down over the hitch ball.  Once that is locked in place I couldn't budge the trailer up and away from the van hitch.  However, I still want to get a cable lock to use at night for my peace of mind.

The trailer did come with a spare that is locked up inside the trailer.  As far as I know, this trailer doesn't have a mount for a spare underneath the trailer.  I have seen that there are spare tire mounts available that bolt on to the trailer tounge but I am not too sure that they are all that theft proof.  At this point I am considering just getting a tire/wheel cover for it.

For those of you interested I thought I would give you a view of the inside of my 2001 Chevy Astro van that I customized last summer.  I am also including a link to a YouTube video that I produced about the buildout.

Attachments

• IMG_5096-2.jpg
    IMG_5096-2.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5099-2.jpg
    IMG_5099-2.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5121-2.jpg
    IMG_5121-2.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5287-2.jpg
    IMG_5287-2.jpg