lectric ebike

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wntrhwk

Reaction score
Hello, just wanted to see if anyone has purchased one of the ebikes that Bob is recommending. I just received one, a Lectric ebike, and realized the batteries are 48v. Obviously I should  have done more research but I don't know how one would charge these as a nomad, most folks have smaller 12v system. Any ideas would be great, otherwise I will be selling this. Thx for any help.

With all due respect that little 120 watt inverter will not be enough power for the typical electric bike 120v wall charger. 

If the source of energy to charge the electic bike is solar and batteries, then a larger inverter, and preferably a pure-sine inverter, in the 200-500 watt range is needed, and this is highly dependent on the amperage rating of the bike charger.

Hey Sofisintown, thx for the reply. I am not good with math, can you help with that? The battery is a 48v, 10.5ah battery. Any idea how much power it would take to charge up? Thanks for the help.

wntrhwk, the battery voltage is not as important as the charger specs. 

We need the specs on the charger label, to determine the inverter size required.

Then, we also need to know more about the size of your solar power capacity, if you want us to help you figure out if you will have enough reserve power to charge the bike.

Tx2sturgis, appreciate the help. The charger says output is 54.6v at 2 ramps. I currently have a 100amph battery with 200w panel. ⁷

Ok, this bike charger is in the 200 watt range, (approx) so you really need to have a 300-400 watt inverter, again preferably a pure sine inverter. With your solar system, you will be limited to partial charging on most days if you are also powering the typical items such as a laptop and/or a fridge.

This means that a full charge on the ebike from around 10-20%, up to 100% will pretty much use your entire solar energy production per day. If you only partially discharge the ebike battery, you might be able to top it off every day. But, keep in mind that if you need to be able to power your other loads AND make use of the full electric range of the bike, lets say 20 miles per day, your solar capacity will not keep up.

I had a similar system last year at Quartzsite and that's pretty much the way it plays out. 

If you have a small inverter generator, then you will have the ability to fully charge the ebike battery while also charging your main house batteries.

One of the nice things about a removable battery is it fits in a book bag and can be charged while at a library or any place with an outlet, like a truck stop while showering or laundry mat while doing clothes. I have considered the small propane powered Ryobi charger but still haven’t gotten one yet. I would get the warranty if I did though.

Tx2sturgis, much appreciated, looks like I can just get enough energy to make this work. I do have 2 batteries so I will not be running them down very far, hopefully will not take much to bring them back up. Again, thanks for the help, was getting stressed out over this, you made my day.

bullfrog said:
One of the nice things about a removable battery is it fits in a book bag and can be charged while at a library or any place with an outlet, like a truck stop while showering or laundry mat while doing clothes.  I have considered the small propane powered Ryobi charger but still haven’t gotten one yet. I would get the warranty if I did though.
A propane powered generator, how cool is that, never heard of it.

Last I checked they were about $250 and can run off the small propane bottles or with an adaptor hose larger bottles. 900/700 running watts inverter generator. Would be a good back up for a small solar system on cloudy days. With Ryobi tools I have found buying with a Home Depot credit card and getting the warranty I believe you can get a in any store replacement should you need to but check before you buy.

If the battery is removable and if you carry the charger along on your rides, then yes, you can take it inside a business, and plug it in.

But, since it can take several hours, maybe 4-5 hours from nearly empty to full, you might need to be there awhile for a full charge. 

In reality, you will probably never randomly arrive somewhere with the battery that low (unless you make a plan to do so) ....but...just topping it off a bit (to get you back to your campsite) might only take an hour or so.

What I found is that during the day with full sun, that is the best time to use 'opportunity charging' to charge the ebike. trying to charge it from your storage or house battery during non-daylight hours is a sure way to drain that main battery, so then, the next day is spent trying to get it back to full charge. 

Now of course, if someone has a lot larger solar array and larger (or several more) main batteries then they would be able to charge the bike whenever it was needed, as opposed to when they had solar input. And of course, using a small generator will easily charge the ebike AND contribute a charge to your house battery system with the use of a battery charger for those. 

Of course another option is to buy a spare ebike battery (expensive!) and then that battery can be topped off or charged during the daylight hours when you might want to be riding, and that gives you the ability to ride the ebike during the day using the other, fully charged, battery.

One of the nice things about a propane fueled engine is that they run super clean and last much longer than those fueled with gasoline.  But one thing I would mention to anyone purchasing a new propane fueled engine.....look for motor oil that is made for propane engines.  They do make it.  You may check at a Fork Lift sales & service place or online.  A lot of Fork Trucks use propane and that oil they use has a lower ash content as I've been told.

If you want to know more about motor or engine power kits for bicycles,  I'd suggest taking a look at this forum.   Motorized bicycles is all they do there.

Motorbicycling.com/forum

Latest posts