eBikes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Reaction score
I am considering buying an eBike, but I don't know what brand or model to look at.

I'm a Fat Boy (300 lbs that is why I would like an eBike) so I need one that will hold me up without having to add dual wheels to it.  :) :)

Also is 36v better than 48v, I would like to be able to charge it with solar if possible. And I would like it to fold.

Any of you forum dwellers have a brand that you would recommend?

I’m considering getting a 3 wheeler. I’ve put close to 1,800 miles on our two RadMinis I believe. I have only fallen once when riding over large rocks off road, somewhere I shouldn’t have taken it. My wife has inner ear problems and after a fall going around a sharp turn up hill accelerated and the bike torqued right out from under her she left it with our son. The folding is necessary for us to transport them but not something I look forward to as they are better than 60 lbs and awkward to handle when folded. I’m thinking it would be easier to transport a 3 wheeler in a modified cargo carrier but until I can save up enough to afford the higher costs of a 3 wheeler I’ll just have to wait to see. There aren’t too many if any folding bikes or even solid frame bikes for heavier riders.

It's gonna be hard to find a FOLDING ebike that will handle 300 pounds, but there are a lot of NON-FOLDING ebikes that will handle 300 pounds.

The newer versions have step through frames which if your inseam is less then 30” I would highly recommend.

I'm 6' tall, also a step-through bike looks like a girls bike. :) :) I would be more worried about how high the seat is, may have to extend the seat post up a bit.

Tell me that when you hit a big rock and catch your foot on the cross bar trying to get both feet on the same side of the 60 lb bicycle so you can hold it up and fall flat on your face with the bike on top of you! Lol!!! The petals may be a little close but you seldom have to petal hard with petal assist you can adjust so basically you just keep the petals turning.

I have 3 Sondors bikes and love them, they are all 48V 500 and 750 watt motors. The fold, the MX and the XL all are the fat tire bikes. I weigh 230 and  they all do fine. They are high quality made from scratch bikes, they are not a bunch of  internet stuff bolted to a $69 walmart bike, they are designed and built from scratch,   Zero failures in 5 years!! (12 years total biking time between them)  Only advise I have is to add a digital voltage meter to the output of your charger and put the charger on a timer and stay at around 95% charge level, the batteries will last and last. If you leave the charger on all the time and you will just cook the batteries or burn up the charger (no, not me, others have reported this) I also have the Juice but I have only had it a year so dont want to give a review on one years trouble free use just yet.  (ok, that was a mini review)

Freelander said:
  :) :)

Also is 36v better than 48v, I would like to be able to charge it with solar if possible. 
Freelander, my opinion would be no.  the higher the voltage the better, less amps, less burned up hot spots etc  but more power and torque.

bagabum said:
I have 3 Sondors bikes and love them, they are all 48V 500  and 750 watt motors. The fold, the MX and the XL all are the fat tire bikes. I weigh 230 and  they all do fine. They are high quality made from scratch bikes, they are not a bunch of  internet stuff bolted to a $69 walmart bike, they are designed and built from scratch,   Zero failures in 5 years!! (12 years total biking time between them)  Only advise I have is to add a digital voltage meter to the output of your charger and put the charger on a timer and stay at around 95% charge level, the batteries will last and last. If you leave the charger on all the time and you will just cook the batteries or burn up the charger (no, not me, others have reported this) I also have the Juice but I have only had it a year so dont want to give a review on one years trouble free use just yet.  (ok, that was a mini review)

I looked at the Sonders eBikes and I think that is the way I will go. I just have to decide how much I want to spend. They are listed as being to carry 300 lbs and with the fat tires I won't need duals.   :D :D

I do need it able to fold up and fit in the back of the car, I dont need something that expensive out in the rain and bouncing on a bike rack on the back. And I like the fact its high quality and not made by some noname company..

All campanies start out as being no name.

I found the bicycle that I wanted (a 20" 24 speed mountain bike with dual disc brakes, and full suspension. http://www.searshometownstores.com/product/IRON-HORSE-IH5510SR-29-Mens-Warrior-32-Mountain-Bike

I then found a front wheel 36V 500W kit that works really well. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ebike-Kit-...320404?hash=item23ea091a14:g:uMQAAOSw1rpf3HPl

I used a battery that fits inside of the existing water bottle cage.https://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-7-5AH-Ebike-Battery-For-250W-350W-500W-Bicycle-Bafang-Voilamart-Motor-Bottle/114559157082?hash=item1aac42035a:g:K0cAAOSwgRhftjsm

This was fairly easy to assemble, much cheaper than an existing Ebike, and much better quality, plus I knew every aspect of how it works. At 200#, it will push me at 25 mph on battery alone for about 25 miles, or go faster, and farther if pedaling. With 5 speeds of assist, and 24 gears on the bike, I have infinite possibilities of speed/efficiency.

My bike doesn't fold, and is fairly big, but only 54# all included.

What I dont like about buying Chinese made stuff, it the instructions are not normally very clear, when they are translated the words and meanings can get twisted. Also on their electronic items the units seem overly complicated. I just want it to work, without having to carry the instructions with me.

You wont need to carry an instruction manual with the ebike...BTW practically ALL of the electronics on an ebike (controller, display head, motor, headlight, charger, battery, etc) are chinese. (sometimes one or two of these components are made in other countries like taiwan, malaysia, japan, etc)

No getting around that, no matter where the frame is made or the bike is assembled. 

I've been pretty happy with my RadMini...but it is only rated at 275 pounds (if memory serves) so I did not recommend it in your situation.

After owning this one for a couple of years I know that my next ebike will not have fat tires or a rear hub motor.

I have 2018 Radmini folding, bought early 2020 for $900. Love it. Don't really need the folding feature, I built a rack for mine.
I'm 6'4" about 230lbs. I weighed 295 lbs, 5 yrs ago.
Changed everything, almost, that I believed about food and got healthier.
Good luck on your eBike!

Don’t forget about the bike manufacturer that is a great sponsor of HOWA. I’m sure you can find them on the HOWA site. Bob also did a video on their stuff. In our community down here are Amish don’t drive horse and buggy but they all ride adult tricycles with electric motors.

Will Lectric eBikes be at Quartszite this year?

Also the problem I see is the weight limit says 275 lbs, I weight closer to 300 lbs. I dont want to damage it, by sitting my fat butt on it.

Part of the reason for wanting an eBike is so I can lose weight.

That looks good, but I need something I can fold up and take with me.