eBikes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freelander said:
That looks good, but I need something I can fold up and take with me.
You'll get, as we all do, what you pay for, usually.

Give Utah Trikes a call. They do custom work.

I bought a new 2015 Expedition from them and LOVED it. Like a sports car with pedals, lol.

The RTR is having a drawing for 2 Lectric eBikes this year, I signed up for tickets.

I have a RadRover Step Thru. I'm only 5'6" and 160# so the step through works better for me. The ride is more comfortable; I sit more straight up. The bike is huge, though. Big and heavy. I may sell and look for a Rad mini or other similar folding bike.

I bought this used (about 1 month old) and have had it for about a month. I've really enjoyed riding it. Usually set the peddle assist to 2 (2nd lowest) and it really moves.

Get the step thru in the RadMini. The standard is taller than you think. At 5’10” with a 30” inseam I am barely able to step over the bar as I have a basket (milk crate) on the rear rack. I have to slightly lean the bike toward me to mount.

I have seen kayaks pulled by bicycles and other large loads but all have had better bigger wheels and better weight distribution. I believe the hitch you linked is meant for the seat post, they also make them for the rear wheel axle nut when pulling heavy cargo on a trailer. There are some commercially sold bicycle trailers I believe that could haul a blue boy dependent on size.

It would have to be modified some to make it fit.

It seems just about everything has to be modified to make them work when living this lifestyle! Lol!!!

bullfrog said:
Get the step thru in the RadMini. The standard is taller than you think. At 5’10” with a 30” inseam I am barely able to step over the bar as I have a basket (milk crate) on the rear rack. I have to slightly lean the bike toward me to mount.

The mini's seem to be the same size as a normal mountain bike which is great. This is probably the route I'd go if I make a change.

Hey Freelander,

I have a friend that owns a bike shop and has a few e-bikes for sale. I’ll check with him next week to see what he has in inventory. I’ll get you a discount as well. We might also be able to build you a custom e-bike as well and I will build it myself labor free. All depends though if we can get the parts.

You can buy a 'blue boy' waste tote with wheels and a handle, that could be tethered to the rack on a bicycle, or if you use a smallish tote, 15 gallons or less, you could probably use that with a good quality bicycle cargo trailer. When I was at Quartzite, I made a few water and trash runs with my ebike and trailer.

BTW...if you have an ebike (or any bicycle) and your RV is more than walking distance from one of those vault toilets out there, you can make the trip to the vault toilet when it's 'time' for a nature call, and that way your own waste tank in your RV wont fill up as fast.

Just sayin.

I wondered why my RadMini came with a brown seat! Lol !!!

Freelander you are too far back into LaPosa South to be hauling a blue waste tote behind a 2 wheel ebike. Totally impractical plan withh waste water weighing 8 pounds per gallon, a full 15 gallon tote is pulling 120lbs plus your own body weight as wells as the weight of the tote and heavy ebike up out of those rocky dirt roads coming up out of the gulley washes. You would be asking for a heart attack as you are not in prime years or prime condition.that little motor is just there for a small assist, it cant do that kind of work on its own.

Yea I figured that out, the roads here are rough!!! I can just take the RV up there to dump it.

Water is an issue weight wise. If I go with an e-bike as my main mode of transportation (which at this point is not likely) I’ll see how much water I can carry for a days ride.

Or you can just borrow the puttputt and blue tank from the people right across the street from you. You have to drive really, really slow and try to stay off the main road till you get the the paved road. Cut thru nekkid camp.

I’m sitting on the side of the road right now with one wheel long gone on the blue tank. John took the main road instead of the smoother back roads. Then he called me to come sit with the puttputt and busted wheel blue tank while he goes to town for a new tire.

Someone in camp always has what you need.

I have a blueboy with me, I also bought some WheelBarrow wheels to put on it.

Thanks a bunch! I’m discovering how supportive this community is and it’s refreshing. I think I’ve decided my mode of transportation although at first I wasn’t keen on the idea. I’m going with a van. This way I can have my bike, jewelry tools and backpacking camping gear. These 3 things are near and dear to me so I’ve got to make this work. You all have been very helpful in helping me make a decision.

Latest posts