ebike vs Normal Mountain Bike

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingMobile

Reaction score
I was looking at purchasing a Montague Paratrooper Folding Mountain Bike. Seems to be a decent quality mountain bike that folds compact for storage. I was also thinking of carrying a small motorcycle on a bumper carrier for getting into town for supplies or other amenities and not having to break camp. Now I'm thinking maybe finding the right ebike might be a better solution.

I'd really like to find something that was relatively light, could be pedaled without using the motor, and perform as close as possible to a regular mountain bike without using the motor. Some look like they would be beasts to actually pedal if the power ran out. One reason I ride is for exercise. There are motor kits I could add to the Paratrooper bike. Can anyone recommend an ebike that is relatively light, rides like a bicycle when not using the power assist of the motor, but has good capabilities using the power of the motor?

Full size wheels and folding to a compact size for transport would be desirable too.

Everything is a compromise but the RadMini has worked well for me with an old tube as a liner and Stan's sealant in the fat tires. Petal assist will allow you to go several hours and get as much exercise as you want and still have battery left, you can always buy a second expensive battery. It folds and fits in most vehicles but would be in the way somewhat if it was inside and unfolded. Having a way to charge it can be the biggest hassle while boon docking. If you use it like a motorcycle and carry a heavy load in the mountains you will have to make sure not to over heat the motor on long radical uphill grades your range will be drastically reduced to 10 or 12 miles. Using it with petal assist you can probably go longer than your butt will want to be in the saddle. I have done over 30 miles and still had more than 1/2 charge on the battery in 2 hours. I would recommend the step thru frame especially if you use a milk crate on the rear rack. My dream E bike is a Utah trikes on a trailer with attached solar charging. Just watched a video of a guy with a cheap bike and adapted heavy duty read wheel 500 watt motor pulling a modified kids trailer with two flexible solar panels that rode cross country twice with his cat. Maybe you could just forget the van and yes he works on line with his computer.

GoingMobile said:
I'd really like to find something that was relatively light, could be pedaled without using the motor, and perform as close as possible to a regular mountain bike without using the motor. Some look like they would be beasts to actually pedal if the power ran out. One reason I ride is for exercise. 

Ebike, relatively light? Aint gonna happen.

Pedaled without using the motor? Well, how big a boy are ya?

They ARE beasts to pedal if the power 'ran out'...

You WILL get plenty of exercise with the motor 'on'...you will go further and/or faster and still get plenty of cardio...

Ebikes are generally pretty heavy machines, and between the motor drag, the tall gearing, and especially the fat tires if you have them, they are not fun, or easy, to pedal with zero motor assist. 

Seriously: buy one that has the features and the quality, and the style you like, and the right price for you, and be ready for a lot more fun exercise than you thought you would have with an e-bike.

If you are riding for exercise, you probably should stick with a nonpowered bike. I have built a number of ebikes and gas motor bikes, and none has been much fun to ride without power.

I have not yet tried a mid-drive electric bike, but that might be the most likely to be able to be pedaled without power.

I would prob just want a regular folder and add the ebike conversion to it. I recommend reading the electric bike forum at bikeforums.net for best choice.

Thanks for the responses. I think I should go to a bike shop or two and try out some I think might work and see how I like them. Still considering a smaller street legal motorcycle and back bumper mount with a folding bike inside the van after learning more. Still a ways until I'm planning on full timing so I have time to research and try out various options.

Most electric bikes don't require any insurance, license or registration so you can afford a really nice one! LOL!!!

I love Ebikes but haven't figured out a way to charge them while boondocking. Camper roof is too small for the number of solar panels needed. I do have a folding bike and a tiny gas 4 stroke engine, friction drive, that can be installed or removed in 1 minute. No additional drag or weight when it's off.

One option that looks good is the Icebear clone of the old Honda Trail 70 (now 125cc). Folds up small, street legal, trail capable, and about $1200 new.

I started with a good 29" 24 speed mountain bike that has full suspension, and dual disc brakes. I rode this bike for a full Summer before I added power to it. http://www.searshometownstores.com/product/IRON-HORSE-IH5510SR-29-Mens-Warrior-32-Mountain-Bike

I then added a front hub 500W 36V ebay electric motor, and a 7.3 AH 36 volt bottle cage battery (the battery is shaped like a bottle, and fits in a standard water bottle holder).

This bike was easy to ride beforehand, but is now a beast with 4 speeds of electrical assist (plus your stock 24 gears) It also has a twist throttle if you want to add a little, or not pedal at all. I have seen a top speed of 25+ mph, and 32 mph with me pedaling hard. Just cruising around on mostly flat roads, I can have pedal assist for 30 miles, or no pedal for 15 miles. A bigger battery will allow more range.

I am very pleased with a bike that is generally better quality than most Ebikes, easier to ride, lighter weight (50#), faster, and more stealthy....not to mention only $850 to build.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36V-7-5AH-...157082?hash=item1aac42035a:g:K0cAAOSwgRhftjsm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/e-bike-Con...760165?hash=item265ccdfaa5:g:vV8AAOSwGEFdrVbG

On the more powerful front wheel conversions the torque is hard on the front suspension forks so watch them for wear.

Bob's videos on ebikes

Long-Term Review of Lectric Ebike’s Fantastic, Affordable, Electric, Folding, Step-Through Bike

Great Electric Bike = Better Health and Save Money

Super Deal on the Perfect, Affordable Electric Bike for Nomads! With Step-through Frame

REVIEW: Folding, Step-Through E-Bike from Lectricebikes.com eBike Review (With Kristy)

Rad-Mini Folding Electric Bike