Motorcycle to use as a "toad" with van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mondobob, what year is your PW? I have a 2006 Ford Excel TS and have been debating of getting a smaller motorcycle/scooter a carry on the rear. I currently have a 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT which has to stay at inside the storage most of the time cuz I Iive full-time in my PW. I’m nervous of bottoming out if I had the same set up as your with a scooter (definitely not with the Rebel lol). For now, I carry a mountain bike and a road bike inside the PW. Thanks
My PW is a 2003. I've had both a Honda PCX scooter and the Van Van on back (separately of course) with no problems. Never had a problem bottoming out but I do carry traction pads after getting stuck in the mud. If you're going off pavement, they are a must. I envy you full timing it. I can only manage a month or two at a time.

I am going to use a 2006 Honda Odyssey as my live in vehicle. I go up a lot of forest roads to backpack but the van has only 4" clearance! I have been trying to figure out if it is good idea to park Odyssey before the road is too rough and go the rest of the way on a motorcycle with my 17 pound ultralight backpack on. I used to do a bit of dirt riding in my teens almost 50 years ago but I understand it can be difficult to ride with a backpack on. The other option is to try and raise the van a little and try to put bigger wheels and tires on. It will still be front wheel drive even if it could get a few more inches off the ground, but I think clearance is the most important thing for the forest roads. I am gathering that an Ebike is probably not the way to go. From reading here the DR200S or the Honda Monkey Bike might be best option on a hitch carrier. I don't anticipate riding on the highway as the Odyssey is fine for town runs. I wonder what people think is the best way to go, bike or off-road conversion?
I have traveled with a hitch mounted dual sport motorcycle in the past. Personally, I wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving a small motorcycle parked at the trail head for any length of time due to concerns of it being stolen.

Likewise leaving the van unattended while you're exploring. I'd only do that if I was at a campground where there was a host or other campers that could keep an eye on things.
But then it depends a lot on the location,too.

IMG_20211130_110405714_HDR.jpg
300L rally. Cruises the interstates comfortably, weighs about 320. Or a sur ron electric bike, does about 44 mph with a range of 30 or so miles but only weighs 110 pounds.

The dual sport adds a whole new dimension to van life. It's kicks the quality of life up another level. I love it.

Last edited:
818df23e2f04c63fd7162e3b4a8c8e13fb123db8-64.jpg
Sur ron ebike. So much fun and quite practical. Limited on range, everything else gets a 10. Can be registered as a moped in CA for $24 and lifetime plates.

^Interesting way you have the Honda mounted to the van.

When I had plans to get a cargo trailer I was looking into something similar that would attach to the pegs and lock the bike to the floor of the trailer:

Attachments

• Lock n Load fixtureb.jpg
    Lock n Load fixtureb.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1
Did a lot of freeway riding at 70 but 75 was pushing it for riding any distance. Used to commute daily between LaHonda and downtown SF, 41 miles each way. Much of that was on Hwy 280. Always used Michelin tires and never had a tire issue.
Let's hope the tires on those fast Chinese scooters are as good as Michelins :)

View attachment 31045
300L rally. Cruises the interstates comfortably, weighs about 320. Or a sur ron electric bike, does about 44 mph with a range of 30 or so miles but only weighs 110 pounds.

The dual sport adds a whole new dimension to van life. It's kicks the quality of life up another level. I love it.
Oh yes, that looks like a nice setup. The Honda CRF 300Ls and Rallys are hard to find right now and I when I see used ones for sale they are asking well over new prices. Looks pretty ideal for my intended use. Definitely on my list when I start looking in earnest after I sell my BMW touring bike.

What hitch mount carrier is that? how long have you been using it and how well has it worked for you?

It's called a mx hauler. Supposedly it's the easiest way for a single person to load and unload a motorcycle. It does have a weight limit, can't think of it off the top of my head, but I probably have over 100k miles with a cikle on it and no issues with the mx hauler itself. I did have the hitch itself crack one day from the loaded tongue weight, but I replaced the hitch and carried on.

It's been a evolving process. Just means I'm getting older I suppose.

Attachments

• IMG_20170623_184716.jpg
    IMG_20170623_184716.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 13
^Dang. That little van handles that 320 lbs.+ pretty well.

On the larger van though I'm not clear how it would be easy for one person to load. Is there a ramp used?

Edit: After googling, I see how they work. Pretty impressive.

Last edited:
When I had the minivan a few years ago, it was much lower to the ground and the lowered ramp would fit underneath the dirtbike. Fast forward a few years, the high top promaster replaced the minivan and the crf300 replaced the crf 230, and now when I load the rally onto the ramp I have to position it just right, and then grab the rear rack and physically lift the back end and place it onto a corner of the ramp, then slide it back and forth into position. Sure beats loading it inside of the van, which I also do on occasion. There's nothing hard about either process, I'm just partial to easy, and the mx hauler makes things easy. That's all.

I have a stock 2015 Suzuki DR200S dual sport and have ridden it through Death Valley.... In June 2019 while camped near Mammoth Lakes I rode up to Tioga Pass, 9,943 feet, with no issues. I wasn't racing.

Thank you for this report. I camp at all altitudes from 0ft to 10,000ft and have been worried a carbed bike would not be functional. Not racing, as you say, just putting around. This expands my options.

^The carbed XT225 I had did run okay at 8300' or so but there wasn't much oomph so I played with the jets a little. Changing jets was made easier by adding Allen head screws to the float bowl. Couldn't get much of an improvement though. It just didn't have enough power for my weight. One of the newer injected 250's or bigger should do the trick.

IMG_20180717_105755.jpg

My prior Honda 230L was only produced in '08 and '09, but it had a particular carb that required less adjustment than the non dual sport regular 230. All I ever adjusted was the idle; it had a big ol' easily accessible idle knob. From below sea level to Engineers Pass at 13,xxx in CO, it simply worked. I'm a bit big, 6-1 and 210, the last 500 feet on the latter was steep switchbacks and was too much for - I couldn't make the pass and had to turn back. I slept on it, tried again the next day, and discovered that by hopping slightly to take my weight off, the little bike could get higher into its power band - made that pass after all. Discovered afterward the prior owner had regeared it for more top end. That little thing only weighed about 260 and hauled me around all the trails just beautifully. Couldn't do interstates so I upgraded when I got the chance, but I've some precious memories with my little 230L.

I've left my Class C and either hiked or rode my motorcycle for a few hours many times. Nothing has happened yet. Knock on wood.

Maybe it's the age, 1989, and no one wants to bother. Can't blame them.

I rode up to above 10,000ft in Fishlake NF Utah, some steep and rocky sections.

Another time I took the Paiute ATV trail down from 8,000 ft to 5,000+ ft to the plateau. Controlled sliding on some of the steeper drops. Went back up on the pavement, nice twisty road.

Thanks for the Stony Pass tip. Gunnison is an area of interest to me for travel in the future.

My carbed XT225, a 2002, has been on roads over 10,000 ft, up to 13,000 feet many times. I recall that running the Alpine loop, Engineer and Cinnamon pass, on some of the really steep grades I had to stay in 1st gear but it made it just fine. Rides at 10-11,000 ft have never been a problem. I rode the length of the White Mountain Road through the Bristlecones at 11-12k.

cinnamon pass.jpg

I've ridden my old non fuel injected Honda 500 to the top of My Evans in Colorado 14,130' with no problem. Sure it was a bit low on power but it still had enough umph to haul me and all my camping gear to the top and back. CV type carbs help.

My carbed XT225, a 2002, has been on roads over 10,000 ft, up to 13,000 feet many times. I recall that running the Alpine loop, Engineer and Cinnamon pass, on some of the really steep grades I had to stay in 1st gear but it made it just fine. Rides at 10-11,000 ft have never been a problem. I rode the length of the White Mountain Road through the Bristlecones at 11-12k.
Stock gearing or did you go down a tooth at the front?

I've ridden my old non fuel injected Honda 500 to the top of My Evans in Colorado 14,130' with no problem. CV type carbs help.
Hmm. I'm thinking of buying a Mikuni BSR 36mm clone ($95) that is a CV type for my DR400.

It has a 39mm Keihin slide carb on it now that is for the performance models but needs a rebuild....$$.

the political situation what it is right now, a Russian motorcycle probably isn't the best choice. I've often dreamed of a toy hauler or trailer with a Ural Motorcycle and sidecar. They come as a single unit. You can ride in rear wheel drive on the highway or engage the sidecar wheel when you go off-road. It even has reverse, to help get you out of tight places. Oh, well, I can still dream.

Urals have a hard time keeping up with traffic on the highway. Try to run it a 60 mph and you'll get gas mileage in the 20s. Build quality and reliability is very poor but they're excellent chick magnets!

Ural motorcycles are much improved over the last 10 years. Mine never stranded me in 5 years of riding it...and...virtually 100% reliable other than the occasional flat tire.

The most fun I've had on ANY motorcycle, ever! was when I had my Ural Patrol, 2WD sidecar motorcycle.

And 200% MORE fun when the roads were snowy and icy...what a hoot...I engaged that sidecar wheel and scooted past 4wd jeeps and pickups and hummers that were barely able to operate in deep snow and slippery ice. I have video of this!

So mechanically simple you almost never need a dealership to fix anything. Simple hand tools and some bailing wire and duct tape...you can fix just about anything.

BUT.

Right now is the wrong time to be riding a Russian bike.

So my Ural Solo sT is parked until the crap in Europe is over with.

Latest posts