Motorcycle to use as a "toad" with van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still under consideration, at least Ebikes. The electric motorcycles I've seen are quite pricy and don't seem to be quite there yet in terms of charging and charge life, particularly with a van electric system. The big advantage I can see with some ebikes is I can carry them inside of my vehicle instead of on a hitch-mount carrier and not attract the wrong sort of attention. But kind of a sitting duck if I had to cover ground on a highway.

I'm going to wait until I sell my current motorcycle, a touring bike, and 2 1970s Dutch bicycles, which were ideal when I lived in Venice Beach, Ca. where it was flat, but are much too heavy to travel with. The motorcycle and bicycles are both in storage in Mississippi and I'm not sure when I'll be back.

It's a terrible time to buy any used vehicles right now anyway. Looking at some lighter weight, air cooled dual sport motorcycles from years back and people are asking more now than they originally sold for new. Even at 10 - 20 years old and with 5-10,000 miles. Hopefully prices, technology and availability will improve over the next year, and the right combination of cost, utility, and risk will come to me.

In the mean time my brother has a 99 Kawasaki KLR250 and a hitch mounted carrier he uses on a truck and I'm making plans to visit and try that out with my rig to see how it handles. the bike weighs around 300lbs which is in the neighborhood of bikes I'd want to carry, hard to find many much lighter. Might help with my decision, either be able to rule out a motorcycle or say that would work.

Attachments

• IMG_20210604_114925464_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210604_114925464_HDR.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 7
I own, and ride a really nice 2003 Kawasaki KLR 250 that seems to have all the power/speed anyone would need for a trail bike, or on a county road. I like it because it is about 100# lighter, and 6" shorter than the KLR 650, and is easier to keep upright in rough conditions.
I think that is the same bike my brother has, except his is a couple of years older. A 1999. I'm getting a trailer hitch installed tomorrow and will soon visit and try his hitch carrier, loading and unloading the KLR 250, and driving around a bit to see if it causes the van to handle any differently. He says he can feel his front wheels being a bit lighter with it loaded onto his Ford F-150, which is also an older model from the 90s. It'll be good to try it with the van and see if it makes any difference.

This is my set up..the Suzuki Van Van weighs under 300 pounds and will take you nearly anywhere

This is my set up..the Suzuki Van Van weighs under 300 pounds and will take you nearly anywhere
Looks like a mondo-rig MondoBob. I'll bet that bike does well in the sand and mud. I have friends that had a band called the Beat Farmers that had a very amusing and offensive song titled "Mondo" I have it on some bootleg stuff but I'm not sure they ever got it past any record company execs to officially record it. Popular at live shows.

I have a stock 2015 Suzuki DR200S dual sport and have ridden it through Death Valley. The neat thing was when down low in DV, I could feel more power, though the 45mph limit put a damper on it.

In June 2019 while camped near Mammoth Lakes I rode up to Tioga Pass, 9,943 feet, with no issues. I wasn't racing.

My home base is at 2,500 ft. Quite a drop from that to DV elevations.

Lowest area in 2021 was American Girl Mine Road @475 ft and the highest was Convict Lake near Mammoth Lakes @7,600 ft.

I have a stock 2015 Suzuki DR200S dual sport and have ridden it through Death Valley. The neat thing was when down low in DV, I could feel more power, though the 45mph limit put a damper on it.

In June 2019 while camped near Mammoth Lakes I rode up to Tioga Pass, 9,943 feet, with no issues. I wasn't racing.

My home base is at 2,500 ft. Quite a drop from that to DV elevations.

Lowest area in 2021 was American Girl Mine Road @475 ft and the highest was Convict Lake near Mammoth Lakes @7,600 ft.
Is that a carbureted motor or fuel injection?

I once flew over Death Valley / Mt Whitney area in an Air Force KC-129 refueling plane while it was refueling smaller jets. Pretty spectacular view with the almost 16,000 foot altitude difference. Have also rode to Yosemite and back out over Tioga Pass on a BMW R1150R. Some of the best fun I've had on a motorcycle.

200cc How is that on a road with cars traveling 65mph? Does it have 5 or 6 gears?

I like that one too, although everyone reports the suspension is weak. They are hard to find and the ones I've seen selling used have been asking more than the new price, I guess trying to cover their taxes and fees as well as purchase price. I also like the Kawasaki KLX300 in the camo pattern.
A dealer 2 hours from me has a few crf300l’s in stock. When the time comes to buy if they don’t have them and they have the crf450rl in stock I’ll get that monster. I had a xr650r once and it has similar maintenance.

I am going to use a 2006 Honda Odyssey as my live in vehicle. I go up a lot of forest roads to backpack but the van has only 4" clearance! I have been trying to figure out if it is good idea to park Odyssey before the road is too rough and go the rest of the way on a motorcycle with my 17 pound ultralight backpack on. I used to do a bit of dirt riding in my teens almost 50 years ago but I understand it can be difficult to ride with a backpack on. The other option is to try and raise the van a little and try to put bigger wheels and tires on. It will still be front wheel drive even if it could get a few more inches off the ground, but I think clearance is the most important thing for the forest roads. I am gathering that an Ebike is probably not the way to go. From reading here the DR200S or the Honda Monkey Bike might be best option on a hitch carrier. I don't anticipate riding on the highway as the Odyssey is fine for town runs. I wonder what people think is the best way to go, bike or off-road conversion?

I am going to use a 2006 Honda Odyssey as my live in vehicle. I go up a lot of forest roads to backpack but the van has only 4" clearance! I have been trying to figure out if it is good idea to park Odyssey before the road is too rough and go the rest of the way on a motorcycle with my 17 pound ultralight backpack on. I used to do a bit of dirt riding in my teens almost 50 years ago but I understand it can be difficult to ride with a backpack on. The other option is to try and raise the van a little and try to put bigger wheels and tires on. It will still be front wheel drive even if it could get a few more inches off the ground, but I think clearance is the most important thing for the forest roads. I am gathering that an Ebike is probably not the way to go. From reading here the DR200S or the Honda Monkey Bike might be best option on a hitch carrier. I don't anticipate riding on the highway as the Odyssey is fine for town runs. I wonder what people think is the best way to go, bike or off-road conversion?
I used a Ford Aerostar on forest service roads for many years. Might have had better clearance than the Odyssey, but probably by not too much. I think it was based on the frame and drivetrain of Ford Ranger trucks from late 80s through 90s. I'd deflate the tires under certain conditions like deep sand.

I guess it depends upon how rough the roads you want to traverse are and what it would take to get the Odyssey equipped to handle that. Might want to take along those short track things to get out of slippery situations, a winch can come in handy, but may be overkill. Clearance is usually the thing and I don't know how difficult it would be to add enough to the Odyssey. I'd look into that first unless you just want to have a bike to explore areas on.

A dealer 2 hours from me has a few crf300l’s in stock. When the time comes to buy if they don’t have them and they have the crf450rl in stock I’ll get that monster. I had a xr650r once and it has similar maintenance.
I think the CRF450L is more similar to the KTM or Husqvarna dual sports including price and maintenance schedules. A blast for the right rider under the right conditions. I hear a lot of people like me who aren't as experienced with off-road riding will buy them and find they're a bit much for their abilities, a bit scary on pavement and resell them soon after. Probably better opportunities in the used market compared to the entry level bikes like the CRF300L.

I think the CRF450L is more similar to the KTM or Husqvarna dual sports including price and maintenance schedules. A blast for the right rider under the right conditions. I hear a lot of people like me who aren't as experienced with off-road riding will buy them and find they're a bit much for their abilities, a bit scary on pavement and resell them soon after. Probably better opportunities in the used market compared to the entry level bikes like the CRF300L.
The maintenance is the killer for me I would buy one but don't want to change my oil every week or less
The CRF 250l or the 300l would be better for a bumper bike local KSL ad has a 2013 CRF250 with less than 1500 miles asking$3500 and I will be looking at it tomorrow

The maintenance is the killer for me I would buy one but don't want to change my oil every week or less
The CRF 250l or the 300l would be better for a bumper bike local KSL ad has a 2013 CRF250 with less than 1500 miles asking$3500 and I will be looking at it tomorrow
That's probably a decent price in the current market. I think the older 250s are around 9lbs heavier than the new 300s with more recent 250s +15lbs heavier. Thinking something that gets good mpg would be nice about now with gas prices expected to go even higher. Over $5 a gallon where I am in CA. The idea of a van base camp and an economical utility vehicle is getting even more appealing. Let me know how it goes.

^Last year I sold an '06 XT225 for $1800. Recently I've seen models that are several years older going for twice that. At least now if I decide to spend money on rebuilding my DR, it's likely that for the next couple of years I could get a fair return on the investment.

Last edited:
^Last year I sold an '06 XT225 for $1800. Recently I've seen models that are several years older going for twice that. At least now if I decide to spend money on rebuilding my DR, it's likely that for the next couple of years I could get a fair return on the investment.
Yes, I've been seeing XT225s asking at least twice that lately. 16 - 22 years old at this point. And other more recent dual sports, but several years old nonetheless, for substantially more than they sold for new. Hoping if production and shipping of new models eventually overcomes the current bottlenecks values will become more reasonable.

That's probably a decent price in the current market. I think the older 250s are around 9lbs heavier than the new 300s with more recent 250s +15lbs heavier. Thinking something that gets good mpg would be nice about now with gas prices expected to go even higher. Over $5 a gallon where I am in CA. The idea of a van base camp and an economical utility vehicle is getting even more appealing. Let me know how it goes.
The search goes on someone else bought the Honda CRF 250l today

Yamaha S-Max is what filled the bill. Unlike the 125cc crowd, the 155cc Yamaha is the smallest displacement that can keep you from being run over. You can run 75-80mph all day all night if you need to.
Yes, I've noticed there are some pretty slick, modern scooters out there these days. Somehow I can't quite see myself travelling very far at 75mph on 13" tires :)

13 inch tires are not a problem. My 1974 Vespa Rally 200 had 3.50 x 10 tires. In 1978 I rode it from San Francisco to Alaska and back with all my camping gear. That was before the AlCan was paved. Over 1000 miles of dirt and gravel each way, not to mention the thousands of miles of pavement.

Got a speeding ticket on the Oakland Bay Bridge for 80 mph on that scooter. Took the owners manual to court and showed the judge where it said top speed was 68 mph, case dismissed. It had a few mods. Did a lot of freeway riding at 70 but 75 was pushing it for riding any distance. Used to commute daily between LaHonda and downtown SF, 41 miles each way. Much of that was on Hwy 280. Always used Michelin tires and never had a tire issue.

Last edited:
Hi Mondobob, what year is your PW? I have a 2006 Ford Excel TS and have been debating of getting a smaller motorcycle/scooter a carry on the rear. I currently have a 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT which has to stay at inside the storage most of the time cuz I Iive full-time in my PW. I’m nervous of bottoming out if I had the same set up as your with a scooter (definitely not with the Rebel lol). For now, I carry a mountain bike and a road bike inside the PW. Thanks

Attachments

• CA4B8416-54F5-4903-B17C-5DB5290F82D3.jpeg
    CA4B8416-54F5-4903-B17C-5DB5290F82D3.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 4