Don't buy Lectric Ebike

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly don't see what you have to complain about. When you bought it, you signed their contract which clearly spelled out that after 12 months you're on your own for repairs. On the day you signed your contract, why not have asked "Why only 12 months? Do you think it might fail after that? How much more $$$ for a TWO-year warranty?" As I see it, they are simply standing by the terms you agreed to at the beginning, the terms and limits you paid for.

i'm 200+ pounds. My non electric bike weighs 30 pounds. So imagine putting a 5000 pound truck camper on a VW Rabbit pickup. It'll work for a few hundred miles. But then you'll have to replace the bearings, change the oil, do the brakes. etc.

I ride every day. At least 5000 miles a year. And in a year I will have to true the wheels at least 1-2 times and adjust the brakes and the derailleurs at least once every other month.

That overkill that you have in your e-350 van or isn't there because you need to keep the weight down to what you can power with your own two feet.

It's the exhorbinant initial cost of the e-bikes that is holding people back.

I would love to see an American company outdo the Chinese on a large scale with small EVs with shops and services at a price that brings them to the masses here -rather than container loads shipped in from China.

If that happened, and more people would be on them and more infrastructure would be developed around their use.

I've lived in a bunch of parts of the world and haven't seen them take off anywhere close to what goes on in Chinese cities. In Beijing, I could pull the bike out of my house and go from one side of the city to the other back with it. Haul it in the door and plug it into charge. No traffic jams, looking for taxis, dealing with the subway... just out the door and GO. Oh and none of the parking hassles either. Hitting a small store? Just lock in 10 seconds right by the entrance. Outdoor bar or restaurant, park it right by your table.

In Beijing I lived near a massive farmer's market and you can shop on the e-bike! Tell the vendor what you want and they plop it in your basket. Same way in the old neighborhoods. I could pull the e-bike outside and get everything I needed going around the alleys by my house. Vegetable vendor, cig vendor, meat, alcohol... you just pull up and they plop it in your basket. I'm out the door and back home again with all my shopping done in 5-10 minutes.

I had a coworker who lived in my neighborhood and commuted by car. I'd usually beat her car with my e-bike coming or going to work -cuz no parking issues, traffic jams, etc. She was like "Damn, why am I driving a car at all and paying through the nose for parking?"

E-bikes have their EV lanes, but if that's congested there's the sidewalk or the road itself if the traffic is slowed down. Small-scale EVs are an amazing method of transport so, yeah, I'd like the see it take off in the US and elsewhere.
It's a real bummer if your e-bike is your only form of transport and it is pouring rain or snowing. Here in Portland, where you think there are a bunch of bike lanes, it isn't practical for about half the year to get around on any 2-wheeled vehicle because of the weather. There are a lot of bike lanes in places. In many others here, riding a bicycle is absolutely treacherous because the road is simply not wide enough, and there is a ditch on the other side of you. Not to mention that drivers are not always careful or friendly. I knew 3 people who were hit on bicycles here.

Contact Elon Musk and ask if he has time for a new project/income source.😁

Next time I bet you'll buy the extended warranty from Allstate.

This is where it would be nice to have some HAM Radio buddies who work on electronic stuff. This may be something simple that a tech could diagnose with a VOM meter. I've seen equipment failure only because a soldered joint very good and failed later. It was good enough to pass inspection when manufactured just the same. (but would fail soon after) If not a bad solder connection, perhaps a component on the circuit board. Transistors, diodes, resisters can all fail. If a tech can fix it for a few bucks, let them ride your eBike some. They may enjoy that.

Many of the ebikes have a sealed controller unit. Literally, encapsulated in epoxy.

"no user serviceable parts inside"...

The stated benefit is because it needs to be waterproof. But also they dont want you in there repairing things....they would rather you just buy a new controller.

Worksman Cycles builds bikes and trikes in the USA (mostly USA made) but if you order one with electrics, most of that stuff is sourced from China.

https://www.worksmancycles.com/recreational-bikes.html

They even build antique style 'high-wheelers'....wonder what it would take to electrify one of those?

https://www.worksmancycles.com/high-wheelers.html
They might build bike and trike FRAMES. Very little other than that is even made in the United States anymore. The fine print at the bottom---"Worksman Cycles are Made in America using High Quality Domestic and Imported Parts."

'Build' means 'assembled'. They are ASSEMBLED...BUILT in the USA. Which is exactly how I stated it. Twice.

Manufacturing is NOT the same, and I did not say they were MANUFACTURED in the USA. Read it again. I said they "build bikes and trikes in the USA (mostly USA made)"......and a frame is 'most' of a bike. Remove the frame and there is no bicycle left.

At any rate, the Worksman cycles are 'built' a bit stronger (for heavier loads) than most e-bikes.

First, a decent ebike starts at about $2500. Bosch middrive, Trek, Specialized, even God forbid Pedego, Etc, so you could buy 1 and 1/2 more Lectrics for the money. They can all get serviced.
Second, you bought cheap Chinese. There is always s risk with cheap, period. You assumed the risk.
Third, Lectric is a cheap assed company with crap policies on returns, poor inventory control and in general poor customer relations. Always escalate and let senior management know about your thousands of followers in their target markets.
Fourth, even my Bosch middrive had issues within and out of warranty. My recent service was $195 outta pocket.
Ya pays your money and ya takes your chsnces. Good Luck plus I would copy this thread and send it to the CEO.