Upgrading refrigerator condenser fan, worthwhile modification?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vannautical engineer

Reaction score
Hello, I was thinking about upgrading the fan on my refrigerator. I have the Joytutus 26qt chest fridge. I took the side panel off that houses all of the mechanicals, and the condenser fan is literally just a 12V 90mm computer case fan. They make many higher flow fans. Obviously a higher flow fan will use some more power, but maybe it would overall make the fridge more efficient by moving more air across the condenser? Maybe it would prolong the life of the fridge too if everything runs cooler? The stock fan is only 12V and 0.1A. I looked at the controller for the fridge, and it appears that it uses MOSFETs that have a lot more capacity for running a higher load. I don't mind if the fridge is a little louder when it's running. Anyone familiar with HVAC systems have any insight?

On our RV built in type refrigerator by mounting a cheap box fan on the outside vent it was able to keep food cold even in 110 degree heat which it wasn’t before the temporary modification. If you are in extreme temps more air flow seems to help, at least in our experience.

Short answer: Yes, within reason. It also needs to push air through the compressor, not pull.
As bullfrog ! said adding an exhaust fan to the plenum behind the fridge helps a lot. Mine is on a thermal switch that comes on at 70º. Also make sure you have adequate ventilation to the outside. And you have to make sure your condenser is not dusty.

A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) a contributor called SternWake did a lot of testing on his refrigerator. Search under 'condenser fan, SternWake' will bring up lots of results.
One example (#8):
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/upgrading-fan-on-fridge-condensor.20148/#post-231739

I built a exhaust cover next to the vent and put a 120mm (1 amp) fan to exhaust the hot air from the compressor to the outside of my van. I use a 12 volt dc temp sensor relay (about 12 dollars) . With the relay the fan only comes on when the fridge is on. The fan has been on the fridge going on 3 years 24/7.
I also have the joytutu 26 liter fridge and I put the fan to exhaust the fridge hot air (about 120F from the vents). Without the 120mm powerful fan it would get too hot in my van, everytime the compressor came on it was like I had an electric heater.
I highly recommend you put an exhaust fan, no need to open the fridge, you just have to build something that will hold the fan, and I recommend you use 4 inch flexible hose to exhaust the hot air out of your van. The cooler your van is, the less work your fridge has to do. On my fan I have a motor control, so I can adjust the fan speed, at full power it gets very loud.

this is the 12 volt dc temp relay I use, you can find on ebay.a dc temp relay.jpg

Maybe you are overthinking this scenario.

On the days that are in the upper 90s I position my 12V powered 10” O2COOL fan so it blows onto the compressor end. I have a 12v outlet near the fridge that is on a different circuit than the fridge. The O2COOL 10 inch fans do have a power port on the side into which you can plug a 12v power adapter. There are sellers on Amazon who sell adaptersoif the right voltage and plug size. But I found my adapter at a thrift store in Quartzsite and my 02Cool fan also was a thrift store find. The wattage of the power adapter is equal to the total wattage of the D cell batteries that typically power that fan. There are variable wattage 12volt power adapters that come with interchangeable power plug tips. That big 10” fan moves a lot more air than a little computer fan. You just need a hot weather solution for the hottest hours of the day. You really do not need to re-engineer the fridge. Think KISS principle, repurpose and multi functional solutions to solve these some-of-the-time, but not all-of-the-time issues.

Last edited:
I do the same thing with an Endless Breeze. I prop it up on the dinette seat closest to my Whynter 45qt, when it needs some help cooling off. Doesn't need to run very long.