Jamie/Enigmatic Nomadic's *Build Out Your Van Party"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gunny said:
Cyndi, I posted on the youtube video that I have a Honda Genny I can bring, if it's needed please advise.. Rob

Rob, Jamie says, "Might come in handy. Thanks!"

Thanks Cyndi, I'll find some help to load it, It's a good thing he does. I may not have my solar, a lot depends on what I find out at the dr.'s Monday. I'll be there, but maybe just to watch and meet some people.

But I'll drag the genny out of storage, it's about time it was put to use. Rob

I can't wait til my house is finished so I can start building my travel rig and start coming to these events! I'd absolutely love to go to this and lend a hand building things but just don't think I can squeeze it into this year's time frame.

This one sounds like it's going to be an excellent time! I've always wanted to see Lake Havasu too.

I like the idea of people working together.It seems folks today have the me me attitude. Having someone knowledgeable helping you seems like such a great idea. Plus I want to meet some more of these people on here.

Those of you that are going might want to remind Jamie and everyone there that veterans get a 10% discount at Home Depot and Lowes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
Those of you that are going might want to remind Jamie and everyone there that veterans get a 10% discount at Home Depot and Lowes.

The store here says it is for those with a VA medical ID card. I served 6 years, enlisted when Vietnam was still active. I don't qualify for VA medical benefits or their ID card. I make too much money now.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I can't wait til my house is finished so I can start building my travel rig and start coming to these events!  I'd absolutely love to go to this and lend a hand building things but just don't think I can squeeze it into this year's time frame.  

This one sounds like it's going to be an excellent time!  I've always wanted to see Lake Havasu too.

I wish I could make it to this one too. It really looks like it's going to be a neat event!

DannyB1954 said:
The store here says it is for those with a VA medical ID card. I served 6 years, enlisted when Vietnam was still active. I don't qualify for VA medical benefits or their ID card. I make too much money now.

Danny, are you sure about that? I went online and this is what they say are the qualifications: you just have to have one. I don't see anything about how much you make?

If at least one of the following applies to you, you probably qualify for VA health care:
You receive financial compensation (pay) from VA for a service-connected disability.
You were discharged for a disability that happened or was made worse in the line of duty.
You are a recently discharged Combat Veteran.
You receive a VA pension.
You are a former Prisoner of War.
You have received a Purple Heart.
You receive (or are eligible for) Medicaid benefits.
You served in Vietnam between January 9, 1962, and May 7, 1975.
You served in Southwest Asia during the Gulf War between August 2, 1990, and November 11, 1998.
You served at least 30 days at Camp Lejeune between August 1, 1953, and December 31, 1987.

Cammalu said:
Danny, are you sure about that?   I went online and this is what they say are the qualifications:  you just have to have one.  I don't see anything about how much you make?

Notice that it doesn't say served active duty with an honorable discharge?  I don't come under any of those qualifiers. I was Vietnam era, (I was in Guam when Saigon fell in 75). 

If you are low income, say lost your job, you qualify, and when you go back to work and make a ton of money, you still qualify. 
If you have no service related injury and make good money, you do not qualify. I think the low income qualifier is You receive (or are eligible for) Medicaid benefits.

In case anyone cares, from my perspective (read up on this, investigated a bit), the descriptions here of what is or is not needed for permits (or "paperwork") are about as clear as mud. Likely because they've been done piecemeal by different people.

A clear statement of what people need to do and don't need to do, written by someone who understands and has the time to make it clear, would be a big help.

Thanks,

Vagabound

Vagabound said:
In case anyone cares, from my perspective (read up on this, investigated a bit), the descriptions here of what is or is not needed for permits (or "paperwork") are about as clear as mud. Likely because they've been done piecemeal by different people.

A clear statement of what people need to do and don't need to do, written by someone who understands and has the time to make it clear, would be a big help.

Thanks,

Vagabound
If you are attending, Vagabound, you'll get a better feel for the permit situation when you are there. Rest assured that A) if Jamie said he had the event attendee's covered, you don't need a permit. B) it's not really a life or death deal. If you are boondocking in an area that requires a 14 day permit and a ranger finds you not having one, they'll issue you one. Or if they have been watching you and know you've been there too long, they'll tell you to move on by x time or x day. C) can't speak for this year, but last year there was zero enforcement in LHC. In fact a report of people vandalizing trees took two days for a response by a ranger.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I hope this is clear

Jamie pulled a permit, from the BLM office, required for large groups.

Individuals attending the event are required to have individual permits from the camp host when they pull in, or sometime there after.

highdesertranger said:
and the individual permits are free.  highdesertranger

Are these individual permits from the government or a private organization?

Vagabound

the BLM, so the gov. although if you get it from the host they are just the issuing agent. highdesertranger

As one ranger explained it to me, the reason they need permits issued is so that they can prove the amount of use that an area gets.

The more use, the more of a share of the pie that they get.

They're also used to keep track of how long you've been there so that you'll move on after the allotted 14 days.

They are not used for any purpose other than that that I've been able to ascertain. They are hand written and other than keeping a copy for administrative use, the information isn't even entered in to any central computer.

In addition to this information cyndi posted Jamie also has a video up explaining the details(posted in #67 by Wheel Estate) regarding the permits and what not that he secured for this event.  He also shows in the video how far he is from Walmart and Home Depot.   :)

I hope I can make it if they extend into December but if not he's also secured an area for the last two weeks of November as explained in the video as well.  Y'all have a good time!

I am going to shoot for tomorrow afternoon to be on my way there. I put a maxxair fan in the van today, (It was taking up space inside of the van), and i gathered up some tools.
Tomorrow I need to take some things from the house to the dump and take the inverter and charger out of the pickup and put them into the van.

It would be nice to get some Pics from you all, I will be available for input January at the RTR and would like some help/ talk through/ walk through on firestone air bag instal, I can wrench it .

Firestone kits are bolt on  pretty straight forward install.  Firestone doesn't make a kit for my truck.  so I made my own.

axle10 014.JPG

axle10 015.JPG

I have put the kits on many vehicles.  I will be glad to give you a hand.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• axle10 014.JPG
    axle10 014.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 17
  • axle10 015.JPG
    axle10 015.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 16