Jamie's 2022 Van Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abnorm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enigmatic Nomadic announced his next van build event on a YouTube live feed today....April or May 2022...Castle Air Force Base, California

It's gone big-time...14 day event....Sponsors/vendors.....Hanger for workspace.....Onsite camping.....Tickets in November....$600 to attend

One item install/build per vehicle ?

Enigmatic Nomadics Group | Facebook

Wow! ! I love what Jamie does but that is a bit salty for the people who can’t afford to have things installed by pros. I can stay a long time in a commercial campground for $600. I’m not complaining; I guess I’m sort of questioning, but it sounds steep. I imagine the venue requires insurance and all that kind of thing so it must be justified and from what I’ve heard about Jamie I trust him. But if I was on the West Coast I couldn’t afford it that’s more than half of my income in a month. Three times my food budget.

You can probably get more than one item installed for 600.00 bucks somewhere.
He's doing good work, but not for the likes of the majority of nomads, or me.
And who wants to go to California anyway...

(Well, some of you may)

Jamie's latest video shows him at an Overland Expo, exploring rigs that cost 200K and looking for ideas.

$600 too steep for me as well. But depending on exactly what you want done, it could still be a bargain. When I was exploring the idea of getting solar, I went to one of the Quartzsite solar vendors, just for grins. Told them what I wanted. They quoted me a price of, IIRC, $2300.

I ended up spending about $300. No, it's not as professionally done, with all the cool bells and whistles, as their install would have been. But it gets the job done!

I am curious as to who would be the target audience for something like this. Certainly not someone with a built out van with skills wanting to help out other van dwellers with their builds which was the attraction to his first van build get together. Certainly not someone struggling who wants a couple of cupboards built. I thought he moved east to homestead start a family grow gardens and raise chickens and got out of van living, what happened did the fox raid the coop, climate change destroy his crop, the winter too harsh or the neighbours start shooting.? Has he developped a crack habit and has to organize a festival to support that? 600 is he running for office,is this a rallye? Are we fed as well? I wish him luck curious to know how many turn out?

Fortunately I have no need of such an event and I will not be attending. Of course I would not care to be in large crowds anyway. Pirate camp is plenty big of a build event for me :)

If you want to understand Jamie just follow his youtube channel.

The rental of the AFB is reported to be "six-figures"............He's always wanted a BIG enclosed space

We first had Pirate Camp at the "FREE" 2018 Jamie Van Build...next to main camp.....

Thanks to KAT, Heron, Sleep/Buddy, Bleeps, Mike/Aleena, Dave/Allie, MermaidLili.......Helluva Camp !!!

There are day passes for much less money. The 600 would be to park there for the entire two weeks. I used to live near Castle AFB around 1980. Two of my children were born in Merced County. I don't know if I'll go, but that's an option if I need work done on my van or just want to spend a day visiting.

abnorm said:
Enigmatic Nomadic announced his next van build event on a YouTube live feed today....April or May 2022...Castle Air Force Base, California

It's gone big-time...14 day event....Sponsors/vendors.....Hanger for workspace.....Onsite camping.....Tickets in November....$600 to attend

One item install/build per vehicle ?

Enigmatic Nomadics Group | Facebook

This is one phenomenon I will never understand.   I wonder how he justifies the $600.00 amount?   And without a gun too!

abnorm said:
....He's always wanted a BIG enclosed space....
There's nothing quite like doing your build outside in the rain. Teaches you what you can accomplish with nothing.  The fall builds in the desert would be better: no rain.

Enclosed space not an essential for most builds, however I would want enclosed for working with fiberglass or automotive painting to keep the dirt and critters out.

-crofter

My father was stationed at Castle when I was born. I was delivered in the Army hospital at the Presidio in SF, due to complications. One older brother served his USAF tour at Castle.

The Army hospital is also closed. The hospital building has been repurposed for community non medical use.

The Presidio is now a National Monument, though. Cool factor there.

He probably has a following of some people who would be willing to pay that much to camp near him for two weeks. (not me) ... but in the video he said people doing the work on others' vans will get in free. It should be interesting to see if this plan works well for him.

maybe he just wants to attract those that can afford it......$600 to a millionaire is like $6  ?

Um, I won't be affording it, but really folks -

The $600 is apparently for 14 days, that's $43/night, including FREE labor for building something for your van. Maybe I'm missing something, but unless all you want is someone to build you a wood cutting board, I fail to see why this is so exorbitant. If you are having, say, a solar system installed, just try getting one built for you for anything like that labor price.

Ok… then that’s  definitely a fair price and my comment is not fair…so I take it back …I hope it’s a success !!! :heart:

When you buy your ticket can you say I want two things a new paint job and a rebuilt motor. In that case Jack is right, it is a bargain. On reflection I think this will appeal to the silicone valley worker or some other hard working well payed individuals, that just bought a new van for camping, wants a bit of entertainment get something built in their van, maybe end up on YouTube, play some music, visit and talk vans in a safe friendly environment, for a couple weeks break , it will likely sell out.

My question about the price wasn’t weather it’s a good value or not. My question is about my type of van life. I live on less than $1200 a month Social Security. That’s it when it’s over it’s over. So I never spend money on a campsite and with the recent hospitalizations my debt is so high I might be forced out of this life. So for those who can afford it more power to you. I should start a new site called VCRVL. That’s very cheap RV living. I think Bob is on the right track in buying a track of land HOWA to use for various events including van builds. We are Moneytalks I walk.

jacqueg said:
Um, I won't be affording it, but really folks -

The $600 is apparently for 14 days, that's $43/night....
I am truly spoiled- I DIY everything so my interest would be in hanging out and going on some van tours. If we have RTR this year I will show up just to tour the vans (for free), and will attend as many days as my endurance holds out.

But I agree $43 per night is over budget for me. My all inclusive all amenities price here is $15 per night winter and $20 per night summer and top price for me.

I agree the event will likely sell out for those who can afford it.

-crofter

flying kurbmaster said:
I am curious as to who would be the target audience
Most critical knowing the target.

I've seen some of his channel and I'm only seeing "hobo style" builds and advice there.
Maybe he's trying to crossover to a different clientele?

I don't see the higher end type attending. For those sorts they expect a very high level of accountability... who exactly is completing the work on their build out? Is the work under some kind of warranty or would a waiver be needed?

It's one thing for many folks to piece things together as we go and make it work. A custom build/ work needs a plan each installation has an impact on the following steps.

Folks with a bit of cash want the assurance of a job done right from an established, reputable build company. They aren't looking for the cheap way out. Nor are they likely to want to spend 2 weeks in a partially completed van waiting to get solar mounted. 

Other folks in the midline are evaluating and researching the van conversion and find that it really isn't that difficult to do. Those people would rather take the 600 bux + fuel+ food cost+ inconvenience to find local assistance and or buy a much needed tool or part/ materials.

Then the rest who live on a lite budget are definitely not going to attend for many reasons... not just because we don't want to spend that much but for many, tailored plush interiors and gilded thunder jugs aren't in their morality.

A large turnout all wanting something built out would require many hands to complete. How many carpenters, electricians, plumbers are going to be on hand?... Will there be rainchecks issued to those who attend but aren't attended to?.

Personally I would never trust a collection of whoevers do work on my rig without some kind of quality assurance.

Honestly can't even believe that the State of California would allow any entity to modify vehicles for habitation without certification on this scale.

It's one thing to be electrocuted by my work but to be electrocuted by the work of an organization??!!

The cold is fast approaching... I'd rather take the 600$ bux buy a few tents and distribute to the homeless.