Introductions... A difficult thing...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaky roof

Reaction score
Good Morning all...

Well it’s morning here in South Africa, which, I’m sure you know, is a tiddly piece of rather attractive piece of real estate stuck on the Southern-most tip of the African continent...

So, an Introduction... Mmmmmm ... Complex...

There’s me single, and (61) this year. However I do have a family that began with me fostering a lad of 14 back in 1994, and he has now married & has 2 little’uns of his own.

It’s become a lifetime commitment, that I’m not sorry about... I have no regrets...

Still gainfully employed, still brick-n-morter bound, I’m happy with that, and get my “outdoor-fix” as and when the opportunity arises.

Although I’ve stealth camped many, many times over the years, more so when I was in my 20’s and on bikes, due to the very high prevalence of extremely violent crime, nowadays boondocking / stealth living is for the most part, it’s really not a good idea anymore
‘Sides, we don’t have resources like public land / dispersed camping and so on, which does make it even harder to do..

So why this forum?

Well here’s the thing.

My camping (or, as I refer to matters... "outdoorsing" habits have gone off in a different direction, and essentially I want to go back to touring round our country, but live out of my Vehicle, which is a 2002 Landrover discovery II.

But many of the places i want to go to, towing is not an option.... Perhaps more of that later?

And so the connection was made.

faced with the complex task of "How do I re-configure the Landy into a one person camper in such a way that it can easily be re-configured back to a truck and even further back, by bolting the seats back, into a large family vehicle", I started my "ether-search"

And, in my “ether-travels” Thanks to Slim Potatohead, who I see as a kindred spirit, one of your (Bob’s) videos came up, and I’ve since watched so many, I often find myself doubling up....

ANYHOW...  Before I embarked on my own journey / adventure, I soaked up everything about re-configuring a SUV into a camper, and I believe I’ve come up with a very successful formulae, which just last week I did my first shakedown, and simply everything worked extremely well....

Well not quite everything, at the last minute I swopped out my 2 burner tabletop propane stove for one that has legs... And that was not such a great move..... But that easy...

So thanks to a ton of people, Thanks to Bob for giving me the inside-skinny on how to go about that, and do so successfully.

I’ve got a lot of pictures and posts which I did in our local camping forum, and if anybody is interested do let me know, and I’ll gladly tell the tale.
So, this is already a too-long-a-post, Here’s to all of you and hoping to hear from you fellas soon..

Kind regards.

PS. I'll figure out the posting refinements Like signature / avitare etc as I go along.

Hi Leaky Roof and welcome to the forums. Great intro, I really enjoyed reading it.

As for pictures and stories, yes please! Find an appropriate subforum and post away. There's alot of people here that enjoy both stories and pics.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Leaky roof! Looking forward to your stories!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

welcome to the forum Leaky Roof.

it's a small world my brother-in-law is from South Africa, also have you heard Tayler Scott? he is the first South African to pitch in the majors he is my brother-in-law's(BIL) nephew. my BIL and my mom where at his debut game.

anyhow welcome, maybe one day you can make it over here for a little jaunt around our part of the world.

highdesertranger

As an aside, I spent some time in South Africa back in 2013. I have two friends there, one in Pretoria and one in Centurion.

Had a great time. Lots of cool things to see: Kruger, Tswaing, Maropeng, Joburg museums.

Thanks fellas...

I'm glad to be onboard, I think it only fitting that I add the tips and ideas and whatever I can, for the people who gave me pretty much all all the input i needed to put my rig sucessfully together. Again thanks to a ton of people out there.

I've wobbled off to the board CONVERSIONS AND MODIFICATIONS to give a full accounting of the putting together of my "one man rover" If that's not the right place, admin please move.

I do have to confess to my dirty little secrete.... I'm quite stingy, and, I do a fair bit of "shopping"at the local garde refuse collection sites dotted round my side of Johannesburg, where I stay. An awful amount of things I've used come from there, and was either for free or for next to nothing.... Fact is, if you get there after one, the "shopkeepers" (the workers who keep saleable stuff in their respective places) are (as we say) vrot - dronk ! (utterly inhebreated) , and you can bargain from rands to pennies.... That's quite a lot of fun...

@ Highdesertranger: - Unfortunately not heard of Taylor Scott, but then I'm not much of a sports fan.
@ Lenny... Yip SA's a really nice piece of real estate... I live in Johannesburg, and so seldom go to Pretoria, it's like a different country I ALWAYS get muddled up when I go there, and invarably land up at Pretoria Central Prison...... Go figure !

HI!!

stingy, nah, you are a focused minded frugal person.....heehee….that is what I am!

I worked SO darn hard for my hard earned money, I do not part with it easily and I search and find the best deals out there for anything I buy (within reason of course :)) so I have to say, frugal means you save on stupid stuff that is required for living or making life better...….ALL to put the hard earned saved bucks from being frugal toward WHAT you desire in life...freedom on the road and passion for hobbies or whatever floats your boat.

stingy, nah, smart money spender to achieve what you want in the end, I so get that!!

So what is the goal? travel as long as you can and then land back where ya started? like an extended walkabout deal?

just curious :)

Hi Roamer!

Thanks for asking, thanks for posting...

My goal....

Ooooo, some time back I was recounting to someone how, strange as it may be, a simple photo or video does no justice to (in this case) to standing behind the water curtain of a waterfall, or anything for that matter, because it can never express the emotion... You actually have to go there and experience what it is... Magnificent sunsets / the milky way spirialling around the night sky / dramatic vistas / stormy waves crashing against shore rocks / being at sea in a 3.8M rubber duck, non of those things can adequately be expressed in a video or a photo.... Not by a long shot.....

The emotions just not there...

So, that’s what I want to do, as often as I can, go to spectacular places and feel the emotion, flavour it.... Only thing is, my definition of spectacular does not necessarily mean “big”...

Over many years I’ve done a lot of that... been to the “big-attractions”, now I want to go to the little places... You know, those places not even on the map, where 100 people settled... Go and find out why they picked that particular spot to settle down...

On top of that, there are some stunning things I want to kick out of my bucket list.... The Anglo boer war route, visit all the battlefields... understand how the battles ebbed and flowed / Then there is the concentration camp route, (done a few of them), where the British incarcerated the women-folk , babies and young children in the most despicable circumstances where they where kept undernourished and died in there thousands from malaria, dysentery cholera and such.... I lost many of members my family name and I feel compelled to go and try to understand the magnitude, the inhuman-nes of it all...

So that’s my goal.... certainly for the medium to long term... go see some stunning places. This tiddly piece of real estate's gottum plenty...

My commitment to my foster son, and now my grandkids will always keep me bound to bricks and mortar... It’s not only a money thing, it’s a dependency thing... I undertook the commitment; it’s mine to keep.... So I’ll never be able to do it full time, so what? Come pension date I’ll be able to wander (or as I jest) wobble off as often as I want...
Make sense?

good post and I get it big time

phases of life we all must go thru.

younger we did for the kid, saw the 'big kid friendly attractions' and in that common play ground of others, now at this point it is about me and hubby wanting to what we want which is quiet, simple, wonders of baby nature and not the big stuff any more, just a wonder of a day that is easy to handle and fun to enjoy....oh yea I so get your post!!

I think many of us are right where you are :)

In South Africa, I imagine cricket is more important than North American baseball.

Hehee Don't think this bunch even know that it exists.... You know... My daddy was a rugby supporter, I'm a rugby supporter and heaven help if my son's not a rugby supporter!!!

Welcome Leaky Roof. I should be visiting SA soon as a friend of mine and her family are moving there. Thanks for gracing the "pages" of CRVL. I on the other hand hope I don't get gigged for saying hello. Continue to enjoy the sunsets! I love Land Rovers, they are all over the place, here in Arabia... Be safe

Morning Classy
I hope this post goes through, I'm struggling to post....

Anyhow, Yes SA is a beautiful piece of real estate, But in all sincerity, Why on earth would anyone wish to move here???

Staying safe..... I did a post on safety awareness, I'm sure everyone thinks I'm a nut job but without getting paranoid, but that's our biggest concern... So sad...

They used to hang spark-plugs from the over-head bridges at windscreen height.... Now the latest "gag" is to drive a short piece of re-bar into the tar on the busy roads, at some remote spot, you drive over it, your front, back, and trailer tyres are punctured, you have to pull over, they are waiting for you and you get attacked and cleaned out...

They have even taken to stopping & looting interlink trucks carrying supermarket goods, often petrol bombing the truck as well

And sadly, in many many cases the police are either on the take as well, or are completely racially biased so case dockets / evidence goes missing and on and on.

Only way these days is to be utterly stealth, over riding principal is nobody must know you are where you are, and move on out early...

Otherwise it's a campsite / truck-stop / gararge fore-court.

So yes, I might have come across as just a bit paranoid, but that's the reality of MY environment.

I CAN'T POST NEW THREADS!

I can only reply! I've sent a mail to admin VIa the "contact us" and PM'd a mod to look into it...... But I sill can't post

In desperation, I'm posting here.... Hope smebody will pass it on

Kind regards

Leaky I PMed you yesterday and again just a minute ago. if you didn't receive them post up here. highdesertranger

Hi D
Could this be a time delay thing? just looked at PM's nothing new. Anyhow its twelve bells miday here...

I think I got the earlier one, I've replied to that but anyway, Logged out / went to history dleted everything (i'm told that's how to get rid of cookies)..... I'de rather eat them actually.... / re-booted and logged back in, no luck.
If what I did was wrong, please tell me where to find the "kookie- jar"

THNKS
Much appreciate the 'elp........

txmnjim said:
no doubt "they" are up to social media sabotage now...
Hi TXmnjim

Hahaha ! Your post, this comes to mind...

"Jaws soundtrack"
DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DADADADADADA.......... :D

Nooo It's me a techno-ignorant old nincomepoop....

My son once said, the only way to determine how old you actually are is for you to go and be carbon dated.......
My reply was: There 'aint no such thing as age only experience, and the massive heap of experience is telling you, about right now would be a good time to belt it!......... Cheeky sod..... :exclamation: