I wanna be a nomad!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielP

Reaction score
Hi.  My name is Dan,  and I started my planning a year ago. My expertise is in all things computer.  July of this year I hope to take off and leave Ohio, heading out west.  Can retire later this year.  Bob's great posts/videos and all the other ytubers have helped me decide what I think is the path for me.  In Nov last year I sold my 3br house and moved to a small 1br apt.  This forced me thru downsizing phase 1.  Ive since digitized all my paper files and treasured photos to the cloud to rid myself of 15 boxes.  
Last month acquired a good used pickup.  Is 20 ft long.  Since the parking spaces I measured seem to be 36 ft (2 spaces end to end pull thru style), im thinking a 12 foot trailer should be no more than 16 foot long, putting truck and trailer at 36 ft, perfect for pull thru parking in most public parking lots.  My mustang is up for sale.   So can I live in a 6x12 to 7x14 converted cargo trailer yet to acquire? Has to be white.  Id rather not build from scratch, so have been looking for a cargo conversion for sale that I can modify.   Setups for full time living seem to be hard to find. 
Also looking for a truck cap to sleep in when away from cargo trailer on overnight trips, and for storage otherwise.Building a bed storage in pickup bed looks somewhat easy.  Planned cargo features:  
Fold up sidewall Murphy bed, bucket toilet, temporary shower, 600+ watts of solar Limited by roof size, wave 3 propane heater, portable propane stove, etc.  
For stealth I was thinking about putting in a few small skylights instead of side windows.  Any thoughts on that?  Do I need an escape window?Will I become claustrophobic on bad weather days? 
I will do mostly blm or campgrounds, but want the stealth option when im traveling cross country.  Thinking v nose trailer for fuel savings, but 2 stacked lock boxes on front to hold 2 propane tanks, and batteries.   Should I keep the batteries inside for weather, or outside for venting? Plan on AGM or if i can afford it lithium ion.   I would appreciate any recommendation of carpentry for hire to do decent inside build. or recommendations on who can do a nice 24 volt solar install.  
If I cant find a good cargo conversion by mid June,will just have to buy a raw cargo trailer and convert it as I go.  I now wish I had not garage saled my Ryobi power tools.    Looking forward to learning and sharing with all of you.

Dan

Welcome to the CRVL forums Dan! There's a ton of information available here for you or just ask questions. Finding a ready built/converted cargo trailer is probably going to be tough. Most of us who do our own conversions hold on to it for dear life! Not impossible but certainly tougher than finding an empty one and doing the conversion.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

What year/trim level Mustang do you have for sale. I like my 2004 GT convertible, but would also sell to go on the road. I too, would most likely pull a cargo trailer behind my diesel Excursion.

Greetings sounds like you have put some thought into it. I have a 20' Dodge Ram and pull a 23' travel trailer and don't have any problems

Hi,
Can I ask, did you specifically find a truck? Or just a deal too good to pass up? My experience (being a contractor all my life) is vans are best. I have had many trucks over the years, and you still end up having to cover the bed, unless it remains empty.
I built a 4x8 enclosed trailer for storage (tools, etc) and found its just not big enough. I think a 6x12 would be perfect. Course, it depends on what you need in your travels. Its a balancing act for sure.
Just my 2 cents.