I THREW MY PORTA POTTY IN THE DUMPSTER

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second and third everything Sameer says, haha! No amount of logic or common sense arguments would persuade me otherwise.

here is a bit of logic for you casey. I have kept my porta potty and will continue to use it, like a bucket, I set a bag in it which fits perfectly and pee in a container. The porta potty is a few years old and looks like brand new, never really used, nor has any water been in it. The main reason I keep it, is that I look self contained, in other words if I happen to be boondocking or stealth camping no one gets the idea that I am polluting their turf should they ask or worried. :):)

I'll be going with the 5-gallon bucket method when it comes to number two. Double lining a bucket with two bags sounds like a simple & straight forward to dealing with waste. As much as I like the convenience of a porta potty I like the simplicity of the 5-gallon method. I've always been in the "KISS" school of thought of problem solving.

@caseyc- just don't plan on burying poo bags at Q. That's a very big no-no, and for good reason.
Keep an extra 5 gal bucket with tight fitting lid for transporting bagged waste to a proper location for disposal.

@Pikachu- I have a 'Tote-able Toilet Seat' for my bucket pot, and it works very well. A comfy seat (have you ever tried to sit on a 5 gal bucket with no lid?? NOT comfy!!!), and with a little kitty litter or shavings, odors are contained by the snap down lid.

Unchained, I've seen those "Tot-able Toilet Seats" in the past. I'm not sure if they have them here in Vegas as camping supply stores but I'm gong to be making the rounds to find one of those items. I'm certain that sitting on a 5-gallon bucket without one of these seats is not too comfy. If I can't find one locally I'll have to buy it online.

In the past I've had cats so I may carry kitty litter with me for when I'm in a remote location. At one point I had four cats and do know that kitty litter does a great job covering poo odors. I'll be experimenting with cat litter & plastic bags as well. I'm always open to trying something different. I'm already stocking up items for my move to a vehicle. One area I'm preparing for is issues of personal hygiene. The bathroom isn't one area I an overlook.

YES! CREEPY!
I love my bucket!......."Live and learn!"

The choice is yours. I have used one for 2 years on my boat. You need to learn how to dump without getting on you. You need to learn how to not make it smell.

Dumping. Dump often!. Learn how to dump slowly at first. Wear gloves if possible. Some of the chemicals you do not want to get on your body.

Smell - Make sure all holes on black water tank is sealed. I have one from Academy and there is no vent holes. Open a little before using. You should do this 2x a day in hot weather if not in use. I use liquid laundry detergent. Almost no smell. Empty often. When carrying to a bathroom, put the unit in a garbage bag and make sure you clean up after yourself.

IF you want to make this a dump station toilet then you can put in a macerator. This is pricey.

This is just something in the lifestyle. You poop and it needs to be disposed of. Your choice on which way.

Best, James AKA Lynx

Good advice James.......I am going to stick with the bucket since that is the easiest thing for me to do.

James AKA Lynx said:
I use liquid laundry detergent. Almost no smell.

I've heard this idea before....hmmmmm.

any specific brands or types you especially prefer?? Liquid soap, or powder??

Laundry detergent is a biocide. It will kill anything that an animal leaves. It just needs to be dissolved. Liquid is easiest. I have never heard anybody say which is better or worse. I use unscented. What ever you have on hand should work. Better to little than not enough. Put in top water and a spray bottle for final rinse if needed. Do not use a brush unless you want un-plesent order.

If you need to keep bags for proper disposal and ammo "can" works well. They don't take much space, have a seal, and a hinged lid that snaps closed.
Larger containers like this are used on guided river trips. The waste is then taken to a county sanitation facility. The EPA goes bananas when you bury the stuff on public land, or just about any place.

I can understand where you pack everything out including #2 as in the heavily traveled areas. You will see signs posted. Most of the guided river tours are like this. Not really sure if you are away from a standard campsite, Primitive camping if anybody would care. You should check before you dump.

James AKA Lynx

I bought a porta-potty, but it just seemed to be more trouble than it was worth. Besides, I didn't like to think of hauling all that sewage around with me for numerous reasons. I put it in storage and bought a Luggable Loo, which can be kept clean and free of waste. Much better choice for me.

If I ever pulled something with my van....I would turn it into a Toilet and Shower House. hahaha!

Sameer said:
If I ever pulled something with my van....I would turn it into a Toilet and Shower House. hahaha!

There ya go.
Add closet and storage and a van would gain a lot of useful space.
A little one like Van_Tramp's "guest room" would be way cool.

What he has would be great! After 11 months living in my van I realize that I have to be more creative when it comes to a toilet and shower. Of course, it could be the weather.....it is no fun in my 'poop' pop-up tent' to take a shower with my garden sprayer shower at 40 degrees! Hahahaha!

That is hysterical Jim......I'd make my own too, but don't want that hanging of my bumper! Hahahaha