I finally gave my landlord notice!!!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CityWoman said:
Congrats to both of you.  I am curious about your processes for selling everything you own.  How did you do it?  Little by little over a long period or a garage/tag sale?  Craigslist?  Local ads?  eBay? Friends?  Any advice to share?  I need to start my downsizing project and am somewhat overwhelmed by the prospect.

To be honest, I didn't sell nearly as much as I would have liked to.  It is a huge pain in the you know what.  I started about this time last year and posted on facebook yard sale sites, craigslist, Close5 app, Letgo app and had yard sales, nothing was really selling.  About six months into the process I realized that I was selling small things here and there, $5 here $20 there and it was such a waste of time and energy.  The process to take pics and post on all these sites really isn't worth it unless it's a bigger priced item.

I finally dropped the prices on my big pieces of furniture like couch set, dining room set, kitchen set etc and got rid of those for short money but it's ok because every month was another months rent I'd pay and it wasn't worth all the crap I was holding on to.  Everything else I either gave to friends/family, brought to the donation center or trashed.  It was very hard at first and I was full of constant anxiety but it got easier the more I got rid of.  I have given away thousands and thousands of dollars worth of stuff.

Last night was my last nights sleep in my place because tonight will be my first night sleeping at my sisters.  We are going back tonight to get the last of my things.  Then tomorrow I have another car load, maybe two, of stuff to bring to the donation center.  Then we will go back and vacuum, mop floors and clean counter tops and I am gone.

So basically I don't have any good advice other than in hind site I would have started donating things much quicker because I have wasted so much of the last year on rent and time when I could have been out a long time ago and probably on the road by now.

But hey, it's a process and we all have to go through the process in our own way and learn from it.  I have learned so much in the last year and now I'm free of that need to own stuff.

Good luck with your process, wish I could be of more help.