Howdy, ya'll!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda Cripple-Creek

Reaction score
From south-central North Carolina, I'm just about to take the plunge. I am retired, with a few health issues, and a small pension. Have been a camper all my life, starting in childhood, and have finally accepted that I was never meant to live in a town. It occurred to me that the rent I am paying is ridiculous.Then, about a month ago, I found Bob's youtube channel(YES!!!)  My son says, "MOM!!! You CAN'T live in your car!!"  But, he does think the idea of my traveling is a good one. My plan is not to live in my car forever; after a few months of nomading, I can pay off my SUV ('05 Explorer) and then I can start seriously looking for a cargo van. In the meantime, I will find out for certain that living "on the go" is what I am best suited for. Honestly, I don't have any doubts about that, but I do have some doubts about my physical ability to handle the everyday "issues." My challenge right now is, in the next 6 weeks, to get rid of all my "stuff." Mountains of Stuff! This past week, I rented a small storage unit, turned in my notice to vacate, and made copious notes about storage and other people's experiences living in their cars, most of which are a good bit smaller than mine. My hardest challenge, I believe, is to leave behind my multitude of hobbies. Planning to bring my knitting and my guitar. If I get lonesome for some other hobbies, I'll just tramp home and grab some stuff. (Oh dear, I may need to get an "attic box" to put my spinning wheel in... )  I'm making notes for boondocking from NC, through SC and GA, to northern FL and then hit Interstate 10 in time to be at Quartzite for 2018 RTR.   See Ya'll Then! 

Hi Linda!

Sounds like you have a great plan going on! You're further ahead in the quest than I am, so I may be learning more from you.  :D

Everyone here is so nice and helpful. READ and READ more and enjoy meeting these great peoples!

I have health issues too, many of us do so we're all learning 'how to' and 'if we can'  as we go.

Welcome!  :heart:

Welcome linda to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome Linda,

Make it work... you can live in your car as others have pointed out and be comfy and happy. Follow your dreams and remember, nobody gets out alive!

A good friend who has departed this life has said: I don't know anybody on their deathbed who said, "I wish I spent more time in the office!"

-Mike

Linda,
Looks like you have a terrific plan. It sounds like fun. I too am new to the forum and it will be awhile before I can venture out like you plan to do.

There is so much interesting things to read here. I have gotten a number of ideas I will be taking advantage of.

Welcome to the fun,
Sherry

Linda, you are off to a great start with a very solid plan!!

But, let me warn you that living out of a SUV is quite a bit harder than a van, so keep that in mind as you travel. The everyday issues get much more difficult the smaller the rig. So it isn't truly representative of what your life can/will be in a van.

If being in a SUV is good, then being in a van will be great!

If being in a SUV is barely tolerable, that doesn't necessarily carry over to a van! The van still might be great.

Welcome!  I like your plan.  I think it's going to be fun.  SUV's can be great camping vehicles.  One suggestion I have (I camp in a Tahoe) is to NOT build anything wood or hard sided in there, or if you must, to keep it to a minimum.  Sometimes squishy bags work better.  And also, you don't need a kitchen sink and all the play house furniture.  I'd go for what works. 

And you'll learn a boatload of stuff here.  And using vertical space works wonders.  I have a van and an SUV and the van is too low for some places I like to go.  The SUV will take you more places, and in my case, the ride is much better.  So I plan to leave the van behind.  You might find you like the SUV.  You'll try things out and see what you like. 

Glad to see a tar heel among us.

Hi Linda, congratulations on your solid plans.

Isn't the chore of getting rid of your stuff daunting? I'm in the process myself and I wonder "where did all junk come from? Is it reproducing behind my back?" :D Good luck with your downsizing!

I camped for awhile (not full time) in a Honda CRV. I got a lot of good info from Tristan Higbee's SUV RVing, both his YouTube channel and book. Of course TONS of good info right here.

I'm bringing my hobbies along as well when I go full time in January. I like jewelry making and have a boatload of beads. Going to have to pare down some before blast off. But I think it's important to continue the activities that bring us joy. I don't think life on the road would be as much fun without a few hobbies.

Hi Linda, I hope your enjoying the excitement of taking your first step. like you I have no doubts and this forum is my very first step other than just day dreaming about it. You are closer to making it happen then I'm, I still work and make the green back. I wished I could be free of that and go live umongst those who share my desire. So for now I'll ponder on what rig is right for me, and continue to make advances toward my goal. I'm planning on going to the RTR in my pov a Toyota van, although it's possible I may rent a class B to help me get a better feel of things. Good luck

Daunting! So true. Thank you for the encouragement. I'm working on it. Managed to pull a muscle in my back, so this week is pretty much a total loss, but im not giving up. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Keep dreaming! The kick-in-the-pants that i needed was realizing i had forgotten my dreams. [emoji15] Best of luck to you! The first step is the Dream! [emoji6]

Thank you! I'm spending a lot of time reading and "you-tubing". Ha. Wonder if that's a real word (yet)? Thanks for the encouragement.

Following the Dream -- Absolutely. Thanks for the encouragement!

Thank you, Bob! You have again tipped me off to something i hadn't considered: the SUV may not be a good representative. Knowing that helps -- a Lot!
My biggest fear is: can i be happy in the cold? When i was younger, my 5-yr-old son and i woke up in a tent with ice crystals on the inside. Looking back, it seems we took it in stride, but Now, at this age, that idea really scares me.
I guess in the midst if my downsizing, i need to do a test run in 50 degrees, close to home, just to see how i fare. Tiptoes in first. Ha.
Happily, that is really the only thing that does scare me.
... Time to Face the Fear ...

P.S. Yesterday I saved a Mr Buddy in my Amazon cart thinking I'll do that tomorrow. Overnight the price jumped $15! [emoji15]

Yay, Tarheels!! I like your take on the SUV. Keeps my thoughts moving in the right direction. [emoji106]

Sorry, everybody! I thought the replies went directly under the same comment, and now it's too late to edit! [emoji41] I'll do better next time.

Linda Cripple-Creek said:
Yay, Tarheels!!  I like your take on the SUV. Keeps my thoughts moving in the right direction. [emoji106]

Hey, there's a learning curve on the forum.  You're ahead of schedule.  :)

Yeah, there are some who talk down SUVs but when you want to go off road, your Explorer is going to be MUCH better equipped.  Bob has some videos of him getting stuck in the desert.  You won't get stuck in your Explorer.  Also building all that stuff some do is painful to watch.  You don't have to turn your vehicle into a full service house!  Also, you're going to go outside often because you are camping.

Doing this lifestyle in the east is just as easy if not easier than doing it out west.  There are more services closer.   And if you look closer, you find that there are as many free opportunities too.   I have found them everywhere I wanted to go except for ONE PLACE (Key West).

There isn't as much public land, this is true, but how much land do you need when you park for a stay?  And when I see the rigs out west, they are mostly parked so that they see one another anyway and huddled in one of half a dozen areas.  They aren't using all the public land but using as much as anyone out east would use...and perhaps less because they can't get the rigs to go just anywhere because they are too low to the ground.

You have a great rig to start this lifestyle!!  My late husband was a tar heel, and he camped all through the state his whole life.  You're going to love camping in NC too.  Some of the most beautiful places on earth are there.  I'm headed to "God's country" this spring!   If you see a forest green Tahoe with a brush guard on front and FL plates, give a wave, that's me!   :)

Will Do, wasanah! I'm hoping to travel West along I10 during December ending up in Quartzite. Have to be back to God's Country by April. First grandbaby arriving then. Thanks so much for the notes about the SUV. Those are all things i hadn't thought about.[emoji4]

:)   Hello and Welcome!   

When I first joined here I read all the conversions listed at the top of the page.  Under "Other Conversions"  there is "Full Size SUV".  It's an older Blazer & I found some good ideas there.  I had a full size 1981 4x4 Bronco at one time and I wish I'd known then how to make those long trips from SD to TX and back without everything jammed in the back and me and the cat sleeping down the middle of the floor with barely enough room to turn over.

There are a lot of good folks here and a ton of information also.

Jewellann