Howdy, ya'll!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From south-central North Carolina, I'm just about to take the plunge. I am retired, with a few health issues, and a small pension.

Welcome, Linda Cripple-Creek. Good to meet you. I face the downsizing with trepidation. I know very well there will be stuff I think I can't do without that has to go and that will be painful. I, too, have doubts about whether I will be able to handle the nomad lifestyle with some fairly complicated health issues. I keep reminding myself of my tendency to imagine the worst. So many times it has turned out to be needless worry. There are gals out there coping and improvising in all kinds of ways. I admire their spunk and hope I will be an inspiration to someone, as they are to me. Hope to meet you somewhre on the trail!

Apparently, I have two IDs on the forum.. Just this minute realized that.  But this is an UPDATE!!
  First, in late November, 2017,  the engine went out in the SUV,  so I started on the road with a 2012 Ford Transit Connect.  Great Gas Mileage, Little Bitty Living Space.  :-D
  Then, in January this year (2019) that baby (Transit Connect, named “Horse with No Name”) got totaled. Suffice it to say, I don’t wanna talk about it. But nobody got hurt, and thanks to wonderful family,I now have a Nissan NV200 high top (named Behemoth).  Soooo Thrilled with it.  
 I’ve been on the road full-time since December 1,2017.  The health issues have all but disappeared.  When I left, in 2017, the knee doc was telling me I had to have an arthroscopy for a torn meniscus.  After climbing in and out of a van for 6 months, my leg muscles have gotten so much stronger, I rarely ever have any trouble from the knee.  (YAAAAYYY!!)
  Today, my son gave me a small generator, with the fear that I wouldn’t be able to lift it.  BUT, even full of fuel, I was able to lift it into the back of the new van with no problems!!  This time last year, I could barely walk 100 yards. A mile is not even a concern now!  (Double YAAAYY!!)
   My cardiologist is thrilled with my progress (lost 30 pounds in the past year) and said my traveling is doing me a world of good.  Both my kids agree that they can’t believe how much healthier I am now.
  Anyone who is worrying about going because of health problems, take it from me :  DO IT!
  Cheers & Hugs, Ya’ll!
Linda Cripple-Creek. A/k/a. Giggling Gypsy

It is nice to see your update. Thank you for your encouragement that we may find life on the road a healthier choice. Best wishes to you. Please update again soon.

Thanks for the update Linda! Glad to hear that everything worked out and that vandwelling has improved your life in ways that you probably didn't even imagine! :)

It's good to know that there is hope for those of us with health issues, but it depends on the individual. It sounds like you have hit your stride, and are loving it.