how to register new vehicle when out of state

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7wanders

Reaction score
I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm a Florida resident and just bought a used truck in Nevada this last weekend. I don't plan on being back in Florida until weather cools around November or December (six months from now) and planning to spend the summer in Colorado.

Florida requires you appear "in person" at a Florida DMV to register any vehicle purchased for first time registration and title. I'm looking for solutions to register, title and get plates for my truck until I'm able to get back to Florida in winter (about 6 months from now). 

I've heard some people register in states other than their residency. I looked at Montana, but appears they require an existing title/registration for the vehicle in your home state before they will issue a plate. I'm wondering if their are any solutions out there which allow me to keep my Florida residency (for health insurance reasons) and NOT require me to travel back to Florida to register my vehicle. 

I welcome some ideas and suggestions.

South Dakota makes it easy-peasy.

Check one of the SD mail forwarding service sites or Escapees for details.

I have no idea, but welcome back. I saw you sold your step van. Highdesertranger

these links and info on S Dakota are perfect for my needs. thanks so much for the fast solution to my complicated situation!

Latest posts