Driving with photocopy of license

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience has been that more recently they are begining to verify if it is a business address or a residence. But not all states are that picky about such things unless you are trying to get an enhanced driver's license.

I have a photocopy of the original Georgia license that expires in 2026 in my email.Sorry if I didn't clarify that
That license technically expired after you moved out of the state.

They usually give you about a 45-day “grace period” for you to get re-licensed at your new home but, after that, you are technically unlicensed.

I don't really have one

I use my parents address in VA for docs in Florida

I use the current sect 8 apt in florida for my chase bank but am transitioning out of there

I consider myself houseless though I'm staying with a friend in Florida for now
You are a licensed “resident” of Georgia using a Virginia address to receive FLORIDA benefits?

You know this is fraud, right?

^"Four or five states", is way short of "every DMV in the country" :)

Arizona allows a separate mailing address.

California allows a separate mailing address too, but you need to have a physical address in California provided to the DMV.
I think the only exceptions would be active military.

^"Four or five states", is way short of "every DMV in the country" :)

Arizona allows a separate mailing address.
But is that mailing address printed on your actual license? Or is the use of an alternate address simply an offered convenience?

Your answer really can't be answered here. It's entirely up to the officer that pulls you over whether or not you get hassled. Many cops are great and understandable. A certain segment believe they are god and put here to enforce laws to the letter.

It's up to you what risks you want to take.

I have a Georgia license. It has all sorts of modern printing technology to keep it from being duplicated. I would doubt a photocopy would work. I would start looking in to correcting this before you wished you'd had it fixed.

To the original poster, have you been pulled over often? Rarely?

Your answer really can't be answered here. It's entirely up to the officer that pulls you over whether or not you get hassled. Many cops are great and understandable. A certain segment believe they are god and put here to enforce laws to the letter.

It's up to you what risks you want to take.
So a person dedicated to fair application of the law, which comes from consistent application (As I was taught at the GA State Academy) believes that they are god? Bullshit.

^ A certain segment of a number of persons. Training is one thing, reality is another.

So you're saying there are no GA cops who are a**holes? BS.

Last edited:
Yes

3 times in Florida with GA license

3 warnings but no tickets.Cops are friendly down here
Do you have a smart phone that you can put the DDS app on? Ask a friendly FL cop if the copy of your license on your phone is OK. GA is right next door, so I'm sure it would be.

Georgia is across the border from FL...why not take a drive and go renew your license to your old address? It does seem to me that the best option is to get a FL license and register your van there too. Then if you do get stopped, things match up. If you get stopped out of state you can always tell them the truth...you're traveling.

The OP hasn’t lived at the Georgia address in a couple of years, it doesn’t seem like.

I think it would be unwise to try to renew a license using an address that he hasn’t lived at in some time.

I agree with that, Rose, and I really think he should just do it all in FL. However, if he's et on that GA license, renewing that might be easier. To me, it's a bit like using a made-up address at this point though.

But is that mailing address printed on your actual license? Or is the use of an alternate address simply an offered convenience?
I've lived in AZ since 1965. On my license, I choose either my mailing address or actual residence for the license if the two are different. Additionally, AZ is now online for registrations and renewals. In my cases I was required to go to DMV because of corrected vision. Also a different card may be purchased which allows boarding domestic flights.

So a person dedicated to fair application of the law, which comes from consistent application (As I was taught at the GA State Academy) believes that they are god? Bullshit.

Fair? Some would let the person go . Some would write the person up. Some would have the vehicle towed. I'm not sure this is fair.

The OP hasn’t lived at the Georgia address in a couple of years, it doesn’t seem like.

I think it would be unwise to try to renew a license using an address that he hasn’t lived at in some time.
Especially since that’s where they will be mailing the new license.