Question regarding mai

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davsey85

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was curious my parents and I moved out of a house in Northern California a couple months back

My parents set up mail forwarding so that my medical mails go to their new address in Virginia 

I'm in south Florida at the moment and don't have an address 

My vehicle  registration and tags  is set to expire in early January 

Through the online California dmv I entered the Vin and plate number and it gave me the option to pay 158 to be sent to the old address that my parents sold the house and set up mail forwarding 

Is it worth it to pay the 158.00 renewal fees and hope that the California dmv tags  and registration gets forwarded to my parents new address in Virginia?

Thank You

Are your parents getting forwarded mail from the old address? Check if the Dmv will send it directly to the new address.

Your parents probably submitted a family forward.....so if you share the same last name........your mail should be forwarded. If the mail piece has an endorsemnt of "return to sender" it will be sent back. They will be mailed first class.......so once they arrive at your parents new address, you can have them cross out your old address and change the address on the mail to your new address. As long as you don't open the mail.....the USPS will send it to your address using this process. I work for the USPS.....so I know how the system works.

The key to it all is based on whether or not the mail piece has the endorsement "return to sender" or any endorsement for that matter. If it has the endorsement "change service requested" or "address service requested" the DMV will be alerted to your move out of state and will have issues on the validity of your CA plates.

Thank you Tony.

If I'm in Florida how do I know if this is the case that

the California dmv will put this on the envelope on the old address ?

Thank You

You can call the DMV....tell them that you moved from the address since you renewed your tags and ask them if they typically forward them to the new address or if they will be returned to the DMV. They should be able to tell you without getting to specific with the information. If they insist on your info, you can simply hang up. :)