Califonia plates renewal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davsey85

Reaction score
I was curious 

My dad drove me cross county to dallas.I did some driving but after more than 2 hours a day and the nerves gets fried from the overstimulatin the road 

Seem to get jet lagged easily 

Im looking for low income section 8 govthousing in less densely populated areas in Louisiana 
Looking at shreveport areas around,New Orleans, Florida. 

Just want to be away from high levels of cell signals for good 

I know it may sound crazy but I feel that industrial civilization is making me il 

I'm considering flying to cancun 

Maybe spending winters in cancun and summers in virgina 

My parents live in Virginia 

Being of African lineage and having chronic fatigue syndrome i can't see how the cold can be healing 

If I leave the car there than I worry about the title and registration being changed to my dads name as the way our name reads my last name is his first name and my first name is his last name ..

Dmv in Virginia may not pickup on this and it could lead to the car taken away 

If I fly to cancun are there options to keep the car in the US without losing it besides expensive storage?

If this southern US, cancun thing doesn't work out im.
.considering driving back to near the az,CA border as my ssdi benefits are more 850 in California and drop leaving the state.

I have to eventually bail out of ca due to wildfire

Any tips on handling the tags and relocation?

put the vehicle's title in a personal property trust with a different trustee from you or him (also check with your insurance agent).Then no one but the trustee can mess with title

Davsey,

Your SSDI in California is higher because the cost of living there is higher.

You would need to establish residency in any area in order to get on a wait list there for Section 8.

If the wait list is then open and taking applications, otherwise you wait until they open up for applications and then wait for an available certificate.

And in my experience the very limited Section 8 in this country does not first go to young men on SSDI, but to working families or individuals. You would need to look at eligibility criteria.

If your parents live in Virginia might it be a good plan to live in or near that state, where you have ongoing family support?

Settle in, find a place to live and then look at your options. You would be eligible for subsidized housing, and in more rural areas these tend to be small complexes rather than the high density housing projects seen in big cities.

My thoughts.

Yes

Not too far from Virginia

Florida in the winter wouldn't be too far away

My mother suggested she would pitch in an extra 200 to rent somewhere in Florida

I can see how cost of fuel would be higher in Ca

As far as the cost of living if one was living in a vehicle wouldn't it actually be cheaper being near the border of AZ and Ca where there is free blm land than renting?

With the 850/month plus food stamps medi cal/medicare
In California perhaps the benefits may be more suitable for living in a vehicle as opposed to those who tent

As a backup i was thinking perhaps much of the savings can be saved thos way or maybe switching to Az where medicaid doesn't cover Medicare and cost the dips to
700/month perhaps one can car camp living cheaply this way in south az in the winter and north az in the summer to avoid wildfire smoke?

Thanks

“As far as the cost of living if one was living in a vehicle wouldn't it actually be cheaper being near the border of AZ and Ca where there is free blm land than renting?

With the 850/month plus food stamps medi cal/medicare
In California perhaps the benefits may be more suitable for living in a vehicle as opposed to those who tent”

Davsey, how inexpensively you can live in your vehicle is only one piece of your life right now.

You have a disability and require a stable support system, ideally including your own family who know you and are invested in you.

Quite honestly, the benefits of living closer to loving and supportive family would seem to vastly outweigh whether you can live more cheaply on BLM land and with a larger SSDI check clear across the country from them.

I would focus on stabilizing your life and living situation, not necessarily on living rent free in a vehicle far from those who know you and love you.

That can work for some, but not for all, depending on one’s inner resources.

I wish you well.

Section 8 is particularly difficult to get in all parts of the US and there can be years long waiting lists. You may check with Louisiana before you even contemplate driving down there.

You may get a bit more money in California but the cost of living will eat up more than that.

You still have to have money to live in Cancun. I suggest you research and join one of the living in Mexico or Cancun groups on Facebook before you try to make that move also.

Don’t want to be a Debbie Downer here but you really need to be prepared.

1. It isn't viable to live in California on your current income.
2. The world might be overpopulated, but short of becoming a mass murderer, there's nothing you can do about it.
3. It's basically impossible to live without the internet and a cell phone. Sorry, but...
4. You should think about supplementing your income, while keeping it below the income threshold for whatever government aid you're receiving.
I know people who deliver newspapers, etc.
5. If you think that industrial civilization is contributing to your condition, think about what your condition would be like if you lived in a preindustrial civilization.
6. An income that is already barely sufficient won't be enough to live in Mexico. Not even close.
7. Don't worry about title and registration issues. If you're the actual owner of your car, there's no way the DMV can "take it away from you." Just get all your paperwork in order. That said, you're going to need liability insurance if you don't have it already.

So I would say, find a place where you can rent cheaply and work. Your SSDI isn't enough to live on. You can earn up to the amount where your earnings+SSDI are still below the federal poverty line; that would be about $1000/mo in wages. Lots of ways to earn that much.

I have met many people who still live without a cell phone and internet and it’s not at all impossible.

Also SSDI as well as SSI is what many people do live off of and I’ve net quite a few nomads living off about $500 a month. Some less. You can do it.

It might be possible--barely--to live on $500 a month, but it would be a miserable existence, there is no safety net of any kind, and it requires mental and emotional coping skills that most people lack. What do you do if something breaks or breaks down? What about medical care? What about medical emergencies? Try coping with those things without money--or without a cell phone or internet.

What's not being said is that those frugal nomads had to spend quite a bit of money to get to the point where they are now. They had to, at the very least, buy a reasonably reliable vehicle, equip it for living, and make whatever modifications--power, water/sewage, climate control, etc. etc. etc.--were necessary to make it livable full-time.

I know the prevailing vibe--one that might seem to be supported by this website, though that isn't really the case--is that you can just chuck it all, jump in your vehicle, and live the glamorized nomadic lifestyle without a care in the world. The reality is that it's not for everyone, particularly not those who lack the resources to set it up properly so that they won't be miserable/ill/broke/dead.

I estimate that the setup cost for a permanent nomadic lifestyle would be absolutely no less than $15,000, and yes, I've heard all the stories and seen all the You Tube videos about someone who tows a big cardboard box behind a moped and tours the country in carefree fashion with a song in his heart and a tap in his shoes.

I got to speak up. I don’t care if I get banned. 

I built my van for less than $1,000. Over the years I added to it. 

This site is for people to LEARN what to do. Just raining on them is not helping. 

Setting a arbitrary dollar amount for getting on the road is not thinking clearly. He has a safety net in his parents. He can work on developing his own. All my children did the same. 

Find solutions not walls please. 

Davesy, have you outlined your possibilities on paper yet?  Seeing them in black and white will help you understand the reality of each possibilitiy. If you moved to someplace what would you need for deposit?  

You said your self that you can’t do long drives by yourself. 

Play Santa and make lists.

Some good insight here

Yes a drive from Dallas to Shrevport,La.has me worn out

I have around 18k in savings which isn't much I understand

But grateful for nonetheless with the ssdi

Tonight around 10 pm.when airbmlnb didn't reply I could have

went to a free forest through the freecampsite.net but

I was to weary to drive 1.5 hrs

.I opted for a motel 6 and had to spend 80 some

dollars

Its challenging to push the comfort zone with a nuerolological

/nueroimmune Chronic fatigue syndrome as im worn out after

2 hrs of driving.Sometines it takes a few days or more to

recover

Coming all the way from california with the help of my dad

who went back to Virginia for now.

I feel that I need to go at an even slower place and roam

around like slowmo to do this

Seems this body desires to do an hour or 2 a day max of

driving with breaks in this condition

Grateful to be here though

Good luck, do the best you can with what you have. California is a warmer climate which makes nomadic life easier in the winter and the health facilities might be better. Lots of free camping in the Southwest. Research as much as you can before traveling as it will be hard on you especially if you end up having to pay to stay. Try to modify your car to meet your needs. Being able to just pull over and rest often can only be done if you research free campsites ahead of time. I usually mark all of the good ones at 50 mile distances when traveling the day before. Housing will be hard to find in warm climates in my opinion. Best wishes and safe travels.

I deleted a few posts. Please give advice but try not to be judgemental. Below are Bob's Rules of the Forum.  https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=6554

Letter of the Law:

1) No political discussions. Half of us have opposite political opinions with the other half and we are not going to change each other minds. That means there is nothing to be accomplished by political discussions except anger and frustration and that does nothing to help anyone. Political posts will be deleted.

2) Don’t ever attack, belittle or denigrate anyone. If you have something bad to say about someone, keep it to yourself. This includes politicians, police officers and the homeless. You can hate them if you want, but you don’t get to spread your hate here.

3) Don’t judge other member’s posts or opinions. It’s perfectly fine to disagree or offer a counter point of view, but never in a negative way. An attitude of “I’m right and know more than you!” creates an unacceptable negative atmosphere. I’ve had people tell me they were afraid to post here because they were afraid someone would mock or belittle them. Any posts like that will be deleted.

4) Don’t be a know-it-all or dismissive of others. We’re family and we’re here to help and support each other. So before you hit the “Send” button, ask yourself if what you are writing is helpful and supportive or is it to make you feel better about yourself. Are you just trying to prove you’re smarter than everyone else and you’re right and their wrong? That turns into fighting and bickering over nothing and that makes this an unpleasant place for people who come here in need.

5) Don't waste space and be brief. Often people come here in desperate situations and they only have online access through a library computer or their cell phone. They need help, and they need it now, but if they find the forum full of wasted space, they can’t get to the information they desperately need. The majority of vandwellers have a limited amount of data each month and we don’t want to waste it.

... away from high levels of cell signals...industrial civilization is making me il [sic]...
a)
We share your sensitivity to pollutants, especially electro pollution (Electric Vehicle, anybody?).
Recuperating from that nincompoopery is the reason we boondock.
Accordingly, we seek places without a cellular telephone signal.
b)
For an example of the difference:
Near Oroville, California, Highway 70 runs from the Sacramento Valley to atop the Sahara Nevada mountains.
A few miles into the climb, the 'Bear Creek' rest-stop offers zero cellular telephone signal.
For a sense of living without electro interference, walk across the road to a gravel track.
A couple hundred yards up, it empties into a small valley -- about the size of a couple-three football fields -- with steep cliffs on all sides.
The difference is instantly noticable;
* the permanent background 60mhz hum is gone
* the sense of anxiety of impending doom fades.
I watched folk take their first full lungs of air in all the time I knew them.
And hopping across the creek, I glanced over my shoulder...
... and saw tiny sprites dancing in the ferns.
c)
For decades, our family had a place at Lake Chapala, up the hill from Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico.
During the 1960s, 70s, and 80s, that was my go-to spot for shutting it all off.
These days, the area is typical 'wired', with cellular telephone signals available everyplace.
Unless you have a secure hide-away in Yucatan, I think it might be the same environment you are trying to avoid.
d)
I see zero advantage to licensing any full-time live-aboard in California.
With the high percentage of year-round traveling-folk, any out-of-state plates are just another vehicle among many millions on California roads.
Here is a thought:
Next time you visit Yucatan, check into licensing your vehicle there.
Example:
We acquired an ex-military vehicle from a government auction... with the stipulation it cannot be licensed in USA because of no computer for that era (mechanical diesel).
We acquired it with the intention of using it around the Baja peninsula.
That was 1990.
The license was the equivalent of about us$18 for six years.
Would that fit your budget?
I hope this helps!