USA Trip 2018

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwicowgirl

Reaction score
Hi there!

So.. here's the deal. I live in New Zealand, but have US citizenship (thanks Mom and Dad!). I need to come back to the US before 2020 and get a social security number or I can't get another passport :-( so I looked at my calendar and the only feasible time in the next 2 years is Feb/Mar 2018. Now, I could just fly into San Francisco, spend a few days with relatives while I sort out the social security thing and then fly home, but where's the fun in that? I also have relatives in Florida and Virginia, so I was thinking about taking 2.5-3 weeks and doing a road trip across the country. I've been looking into options for this from here and it looks amazing! however, I am on a real budget. I'd like to drive myself to see more of the country, but, after the cost of hiring a car I don't think I can then stump up for the cost of a hotel every night. In NZ I have a 2005 ford explorer that I use as a daily driver and also as a camper when I go to skating competitions and I thought that maybe doing a similar thing with a minivan or a small SUV on this road trip would be fun and help mitigate the costs somewhat but I have a few questions for all you experts:

1) Can you camp in your car at campgrounds/national parks/Truck stops? I have seen some comments about campgrounds not being happy for you to sleep in a car, but I'm erring towards campgrounds as I'm female and travelling alone. Also, while I'm fine with roughing it for a few days, it would be nice to have access to a shower/washing machine every so often.

2) What sort of prices do campgrounds/Parks/Truck Stops charge? It has been very hard to get an indicative rate on the internet. Because my proposed trip is a year away most camps don't have their pricing sorted yet. I have had a bit of a rude awakening in NZ - it used to be about $7 a night for an un-powered site at a campground, but is now $25 per person per night which, while better than a hotel still adds up pretty quick. I was hoping to stay under $20USD/night for "accomodation" (on top of the cost of the car rental).

3) It's still going to be very wintry in Feb/Mar so I was thinking about going from San Fran. to Las Vegas and then along I40 to Nashville before cutting down to Florida. Is it even feasible to car camp in those regions at that time of year? or am I better to think about going from Las Vegas to El Paso then through Texas to New Orleans and along the coast to Florida?

Thanks so much for all your input :)

-Janine

First, I am curious why they are requiring you to get a SS# in order to get a new passport. Both my sister and I have dual citizenship with US/UK and my sister has retained her dual citizenship without one since she lives in the UK.

This was taken from the travel.state.gov website:

[font=Georgia,]Do I have to provide my Social Security number on my passport application?[/font]
[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Yes. 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f) requires you to provide your Social Security number, if you have one, when you apply for a U.S. passport or renewal of a U.S. passport.
[font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you fail to provide the information, you will encounter a delay in processing and/or denial of your passport application.  You will also be subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS pursuant to Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E). All questions on this matter should be directed to the nearest IRS office.
[/font]
[/font]

[font=Georgia,]What if I don’t have a Social Security number?[/font]
[font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you would like to apply for a U.S. passport, and you don’t have a Social Security number, you will need to submit a statement, signed and dated, which includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct:  I have never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”[/font]

Also, I don't find anything in the section about renewing your passport outside the US to require it either: 

https://travel.state.gov/content/pa...-passport-from-outside-the-united-states.html

At least hope that helps you with your passport issues.

kiwicowgirl said:
Hi there!

1) Can you camp in your car at campgrounds/national parks/Truck stops? I have seen some comments about campgrounds not being happy for you to sleep in a car, but I'm erring towards campgrounds as I'm female and travelling alone. Also, while I'm fine with roughing it for a few days, it would be nice to have access to a shower/washing machine every so often.

2) What sort of prices do campgrounds/Parks/Truck Stops charge? It has been very hard to get an indicative rate on the internet. Because my proposed trip is a year away most camps don't have their pricing sorted yet. I have had a bit of a rude awakening in NZ - it used to be about $7 a night for an un-powered site at a campground, but is now $25 per person per night which, while better than a hotel still adds up pretty quick. I was hoping to stay under $20USD/night for "accomodation" (on top of the cost of the car rental).

3) It's still going to be very wintry in Feb/Mar so I was thinking about going from San Fran. to Las Vegas and then along I40 to Nashville before cutting down to Florida. Is it even feasible to car camp in those regions at that time of year? or am I better to think about going from Las Vegas to El Paso then through Texas to New Orleans and along the coast to Florida?

Thanks so much for all your input :)

-Janine

For planning your trip, I really can't recommend anything more highly than to go to freecampsites.net and use their trip planner. It's a link that let's you put in start and destination, select not doing things like freeways and toll roads and how far off your route you'll be happy to go to find free camping spots.

Once you've played with that for a while, you should be able to find more than enough free spots to camp for the night and save that budget for things that count.

If need be, you can sleep in your car at a lot of Wal-Marts and of course truck stops. Use Allstays.com to check which W/M's are okay and pick up an RV guide from Flying J/Pilot. It shows which of their locations have RV Parking. Even though you won't need the big 50' spots, it means that the parking lot is big enough to have a quiet place for you to sleep. Also, check each state rest area regulations - lot in the west allow at least 24 hours parking - the east is a little bit more difficult in some places.

Most all of the truck stops have showers and if you're lucky, a trucker will give you a freebie instead of having to pay for it. Most of them have laundry facilities as well although I prefer to pull in to a smallish town and find a laundromat that's not at a truck stop.

If you're renting a car, get as big an SUV as you can get your hands on. Make sure that the back seats fold down flat and if you're tall enough you may have to fold down the passenger seat in the front as well. If there's a bit of a gap or some unevenness to it all, then it needs to be either packed with something or a piece of board put in to level the sleeping area for you.

Some cardboard and a can or two of black spray paint will make window covers for you. Learn to use a female urinary device BEFORE the trip so that you can use a bottle and it for late night needs.

For a February/March trip, I'd be taking a more southern route than 40. Take 10 east to Florida (or plan for non-interstate routing to see more of the country). 40 goes to higher elevations, particularly in the west - Flagstaff AZ is at 7,000 feet - still very much winter there in February.

If you can swing more than 2.5 to 3 weeks for the trip it would be better. That's only giving you 21 days max to arrive, get set up, drive completely across the country, visit relatives and drive back. Either that or drive one way and book a flight back from the east coast!

start reading up here especially the older posts. also ask as many questions as you like you will get good answer. you won't have to pay to stay in campgrounds. AlmostThere already gave you a good link for free campsites. again ask away. highdesertranger

Welcome aboard KCG !
Ask all the questions you need to plan that trip.
Agree on using freecampsites with the occasional Walmart /truckstop/rest area/picnic area all are free .............and staying on I-10 or below that time of year.

Two other groups that you should be aware of are couchsurfers www.couchsurfing.com
and Boondockers Welcome https://www.boondockerswelcome.com

I am a host for both groups. In general couchsurfers is setup more for people who do not own an RV. That being said I just hosted through couchsurfers for a young guy from Australia who camped in his SUV. He planned on spending a day here, then we got busy building a bed and storage unit in his minivan and he ended up staying 3 days. This upcoming weekend I have three young ladies from France that will be here two days. I live between Death Valley and Las Vegas. Both popular places for travelers. If you pass through this way you are welcome to rest here a few days. Just PM me and I will give you my info if you are interested.

What both of these groups do is put you in touch with people who will give you a free place to stay for a few days. There are probably many reasons why people like myself will offer free accommodations to travelers. I like meeting and helping people. I find people very interesting listening to where they have been and where they are going. When I was a young man I traveled courtesy of the Navy. I got to see different cultures and many strangers helped me along the way. So in a way I am paying back the kindness that others showed me.

You can get more info on youtube about both groups. The thing that makes it fairly safe is there is a paper trail of who was with who. Both parties get to post a review of their experience for all to view. I think this keeps everyone on their best behavior.

DuneElliot said:
First, I am curious why they are requiring you to get a SS# in order to get a new passport. Both my sister and I have dual citizenship with US/UK and my sister has retained her dual citizenship without one since she lives in the UK.

This was taken from the travel.state.gov website:

Also, I don't find anything in the section about renewing your passport outside the US to require it either: 

https://travel.state.gov/content/pa...-passport-from-outside-the-united-states.html

At least hope that helps you with your passport issues.

Hi :) Thanks for the info! I'm not sure why they want it. I have lived outside the US all my life and have never needed it before, but the last time I got my passport renewed (2010) It was accompanied by a letter that stated they would not renew my passport again unless I have a social security number. I called the consulate in NZ to see what the deal was and they said that I needed a SS number as well, and that it was easier to get it when I am in the states than apply for one from overseas. Apparently it's illegal to enter the US on another countries passport if you are a US Citizen so I figured I'd jump through the hoops now rather than try to deal with it from overseas the next time I want to visit family.

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all the advice :) I had wondered whether the I40 would be too far north.

Almost There: I will definitely check out the free camping website. Have you had any safety concerns staying at Walmart and other carparks? We have lots of freedom campers in NZ and sometimes the busy sites can get a little intimidating. On the other hand I suppose I'm travelling in winter so there shouldn't be a huge amount of people around.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear about the itinerary. I'm planning to hire a car in the bay area and use the next 2.5-3 weeks to drive to the east coast, spend some time with my relatives there and then fly back. I know I'm not going to be able to see everything, but I thought that was a reasonable timeframe for the trip, and I guess I'll just have to live with the one way fee for the rental car.

1. sleeping at truckstops are fine and safe. If you need a shower, its usually about $12-$15. Since you are a female and alone, don't be too friendly and chatty, just go about your business and try to park in a well lit area.
2. driving the 40 in Feb/Mar is fine. I have driven from the 40 from Barstow to NC and down to Myrtle Beach SC in Feb/Mar, they maintain the roads well but as always, check weather DAILY!. Flagstaff you'll get higher elevations, Tennessee you'll get hills and then you'll get the Smokey Mountains at TN/NC. Smokey will have some twist and turns and it always wet so drive carefully there. But otherwise, the 40 is fine. The 10 is more flat. It all depends on which cities you want to stop by and check out while on the way to FL. Nashville and Memphis stands out for me a bit, you can see Elvis and checkout all the bars and live music.

Best travels.

kiwicowgirl said:
Almost There: I will definitely check out the free camping website. Have you had any safety concerns staying at Walmart and other carparks? We have lots of freedom campers in NZ and sometimes the busy sites can get a little intimidating. On the other hand I suppose I'm travelling in winter so there shouldn't be a huge amount of people around.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear about the itinerary. I'm planning to hire a car in the bay area and use the next 2.5-3 weeks to drive to the east coast, spend some time with my relatives there and then fly back. I know I'm not going to be able to see everything, but I thought that was a reasonable timeframe for the trip, and I guess I'll just have to live with the one way fee for the rental car.

I travelled all over the eastern seaboard for 14 years and now travel, well, just plain all over... :D :D 

I've never had any safety concerns staying in either a truck stop, a WM parking lot or a rest area but I choose them wisely. I always go for ones near smaller towns rather than the big cities. I park facing outward so that I don't have to back up out of a parking spot. If I need to go in to W/M for shopping before parking for the night, I park in close, do my shopping and then relocate out to the perimeter near the rest of the RVs. This means that I'm not traipsing all the way across the parking lot to get to my vehicle, it's just one of the safety precautions I take. I also don't spend any time outside my vehicle if I'm parking for the night. In a truck stop I park near the RVs but not taking up the long spaces. I don't park out back where the employees parking is and I don't park real close to the entrances.

Don't count on there not being a lot of people around, just because it's winter...heck that's when all the snowbirds (me included) hit the southern roads... :p

Good to hear that you're already planning on a one way trip by car and flying back.

LMTLMT said:
2. driving the 40 in Feb/Mar is fine.  I have driven from the 40 from Barstow to NC and down to Myrtle Beach SC in Feb/Mar, they maintain the roads well but as always, check weather DAILY!.  Flagstaff you'll get higher elevations, Tennessee you'll get hills and then you'll get the Smokey Mountains at TN/NC.  Smokey will have some twist and turns and it always wet so drive carefully there.  But otherwise, the 40 is fine.  The 10 is more flat.  It all depends on which cities you want to stop by and check out while on the way to FL.  Nashville and Memphis stands out for me a bit, you can see Elvis and checkout all the bars and live music.  

Best travels.

Hi, I sing and play in a country band, so was hoping to get to Nashville and Memphis, but if it's going to be freezing and I'm in my car I might skip it. I'm sure there's plenty of great music all around :) I'm not too worried about driving in snow or bad weather, we get a lot of that here, It's more about how comfortable the accomodations will be. Still, Nashville might be worth a couple nights in a motel! :)

As far as getting a SS# as an adult you will need your passport, your US birth certificate/certificate of birth abroad and a signed/notarized statement from someone you know well as to why you haven't got a SS# yet (they assign them at birth if you are born here) plus a statement of how those people know you. I had to get this as I moved to the US from the UK when I was 18/19 and those were the things that were asked for and it would be wise to bring them with you rather than get surprised and have to have someone mail them to you like I did.

Thanks DuneElliot :) I already have everything ready to go in a little folder. Got my parents SS numbers as well even though they renounced their US citizenship about 20 years ago. I've booked myself a week in San Francisco with my Aunt and Uncle just in case I need something I haven't anticipated and need to to sort it out.

I spent a lot of time in Nashville while in the music biz.
It does get cold and sometimes snows but only lasts for a few days to a week .
Cold weather is usually only around for 6-8 weeks but your time frame is during that.

There are so many things to see there if you can deal with a little cool weather though.
At least go see the Ryman downtown......(before they make it a skyscraper or parking lot) and lots of honky tonks in that area too.
Maybe you'll meet a talent scout!! (Or somebody that just says they are.)
Opry Land is on the north side just off Briley Pkwy.

New Orleans to Nashville is a day drive away.

I don't know what your budget is like but I have friends who often go to europe, buy a used car to drive around, and then they sell it when they are leaving. If have the time or can allow relatives to handle the sale for you, this might be more economical than renting. It has its risks though in that you are on the hook for any breakdowns. Still, older campers don't depreciate too fast and my friends have always been able to sell the vehicle they bought for an amount similar to what they paid for it, essentially having a car to drive around for a couple of months for free.

I know nothing about the whole SS#, Visa thing and so have no comment on that.

As for 2-3 weeks to road trip across country I for one might suggest flying from LA-DC and see if you can find a couch or a hostel and spend a few days in and around DC. Then, when you are ready to leave, rent a car and head South. I'm a big history nerd and so i would suggest heading 3 hours North from DC to Philadelphia for a day or two. Head back down through Amish Country and then Down The Del/Mar/Va Peninsula. Not sure where your family in VA is so you might even take the Western route South from Philly, Western Maryland, South along the C&O canal, and whatever interests you. You're taking a total crap shoot traveling and sight seeing at that time of year along the Eastern seaboard you might have warm weather one day and ice and sleet the next. You could have rain and haze the entire time you are here. That Western Route South from Pensilvania would put you in the right direction to get to Nashville, New Orleans as well. South along Sky Line Drive through The Shenandoah could be spectacular that time of year. It could also be a spectacular nightmare of cold and snow banks.

You have SOOO many options that it might be overwhelming.

I agree with dropping down further south to avoid colder weather but the scenery on I-40 is much better. Buy a good sleeping bag either way you go, even the lower states can get cold.

Truckstops will have showers and laundry areas. Many of the bigger ones will have a 'Drivers Lounge' with a TV and nice seating. No one will question you about being a driver.
Look for newer truck stops, they'll have the best facilities. Park in the restaurant parking lot toward the back, I used to ask the mgr. if it was okay and was never turned down.

Have fun and be safe.

Rob

Latest posts