Driving with photocopy of license

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hello Guys and Gals,

Just curious is it problematic to drive with a Georgia license that's a photocopy

Reason I ask is that I recently lost mine.It expires in 2026,so it seems like a valuable license

I don't live in Georgia but use to live there before moving to California and then relocating to Florida.I have a cboondocks?the most recent Georgia license on my email as well as a hardcopy of a passport.I have a hardcopy of the Georgia license that expired in 2017.

In about 9 hours south if Atlanta in so Florida and it seems I could order a new one on DDS after logging in.The only thing is that i don't live at that apartment anymore and it seems DDS will get suspicious if you request to have a replacement sent out of state since one must be a Georgia resident

My California plates expire on 2023 in January.The registration says 2022 on the little sticker next to the plate but on the CA dmv paper the registration says 2023.Its good in the system technically,just may raise eyebrows to cops as months pass by as it makes it look like tags expired on the outside even though it's been renewed

I'm kind of a wandering nomad and don't really have a residence yet

Would I get ticketed and get vehicle impounded for not having a hard copy of the drivers license and just use a photocopy of the license and us passport while driving for for the next 4 years perhaps boondocking?

Seems that lawyers sites say it's a courtesy for officers to not ticket you for not having a original copy

I just don't want to be out on the road, perhaps blm land and not have the vehicle taken away from me because of this

Thank you

Hi Davsey!

I suspect a photocopy of your drivers license won’t be so much of an issue if you are stopped as not having one current to your address, but once that expires that is different matter.

I know that all states require one to update a drivers license when you change addresses.

Maybe use your parents address in Virginia, and get a new drivers license.

The sticker on your license plate is the annual registration, and separate from your drivers license.

Once your photocopied license has expired, then what happens if you are stopped will depend on the state you are in, and the cop who stops you,

If you are planning to stay in Florida, I would look that up online or call/visit DMV.

In my state, people are arrested for no valid drivers license.

Rather than trying to mitigate risk, before you get stopped with only a photocopy in hand, I would get a new one, then keep it renewed as required.

Your passport will not substitute for a valid drivers license.

If you have a valid license, you have a valid license, even if its not on you. But you are required to have it on your person while driving, not a copy.

LEO's can look up licenses by your name, date of birth and address if you don't have it on you, so a copy will be helpful to the LEO. You could be issued a ticket for not having your license on you though. (try not to give SS# they can look deeper into your history).

They will also question your residence because in most states you are required to make a change of address within a few weeks of moving. Another potential ticket. It shouldn't escalate more than that depending on the LEO.

Your basically rolling the dice and putting your time and money in the hands of the LEO that may pull you over. If you get a tough LEO you are looking at at least 2 tickets plus the one they pulled you over for. You wont likely go to jail or get towed, but you will have to deal with the tickets and fines if you are pulled over. All traffic violations.

Last edited:
Yes,

I logged into the Georgia DDS website last night and it has my old mailing address from 3 years ago in georgia.

There is an option for 5 bucks on there where one can send it to a mailing address different than the residential address

Caveat maybe that the DMV may not approve mailing it out of state and may flag this.Maybe a P.O Box within the state may be safer

I'm considering heading west and leaving Florida perhaps at some point this summer to perhaps explore the desert

Would it be wise to attempt to find a Georgia P.O Box agency that will allow the Georgia DMV to send a license with just my passport and not ask for proof of residence?

Appreciate it Guys and Gals

P.O. Box will not likely be acceptable as an address for your license.

Ask the DMV. Tell them you are out-of-state temporarily for an extended time.

They may just tell you that all you need is the digital copy on your phone.

Davsey, you have moved from Georgia to California to Florida since you had this Georgia drivers license, and apparently never changed your license to the state you resided in?

So, you’ve now been in Florida for months, have only a photocopy of an old Georgia license from some years ago and you’re driving a vehicle with California plates and tag.

This is a huge mess waiting to happen, in my opinion.

If you are stopped and a LEO begins asking you questions, you will have to deal with all of it on an emergency basis, along with whatever fines and court appearances are required.

Take hold of the problem, do the right thing, get a valid drivers license and go from there.

P.O. Box will not likely be acceptable as an address for your license.
I meant using the P.O Box as a mailing address rather than residential address since on the DDS website it saved the old address in the system and gives option to mail a replacement at an alternate mailing address

Appreciate it ripper

Davsey, you have moved from Georgia to California to Florida since you had this Georgia drivers license, and apparently never changed your license to the state you resided in?

So, you’ve now been in Florida for months, have only a photocopy of an old Georgia license from some years ago and you’re driving a vehicle with California plates and tag.

This is a huge mess waiting to happen, in my opinion.

If you are stopped and a LEO begins asking you questions, you will have to deal with all of it on an emergency basis, along with whatever fines and court appearances are required.

Take hold of the problem, do the right thing, get a valid drivers license and go from there.
I have a photocopy of the original Georgia license that expires in 2026 in my email.Sorry if I didn't clarify that

There still would be questions by a cop why you have a GA license and Cali tags.

In what state is your present mailing address?

There still would be questions by a cop why you have a GA license and Cali tags.

In what state is your present mailing address?
I don't really have one

I use my parents address in VA for docs in Florida

I use the current sect 8 apt in florida for my chase bank but am transitioning out of there

I consider myself houseless though I'm staying with a friend in Florida for now

If you are stopped, LEO questions will beget more questions, and there you will sit, mired in a mess you could prevent by obtaining a drivers license with a current address on it.

Trying to slide by works until it doesn’t.

You have a current residence, even if you’re not staying there, and your parents address in Virginia.

I vote for the parent address, tho the Florida one may be better as it may show up on electronic records.

Get a new license, Davsey.

Last edited:
I am with WanderingRose, get a new license and use your parents address. You get VA stuff there, its only logical.

I am with WanderingRose, get a new license and use your parents address. You get VA stuff there, its only logical.

Appreciate it Ripper,wanderose,slowday

The current apartment I found has urinary mycotoxins in my urine has increased.

Im doing an ermi test(mold) on apartment for legal reasons to transfer the voucher

In also ermi testing my friends place as I took a few swipes with the cloth.If it is safe with the mold levels tested ill stay there

Doing mold avoidance in the desert is one thing im looking into

1)If I drive up to Virginia and my parents know that I have intentions to live out of the vehicle im not sure if they would allow me to do this

2)If my friend who I'm staying with knows I mold tested her place when nobody was paying attention and it comes back days later I tested positive I don't know how she would take it as I spent a few weeks at her place without rent as she's expecting sect 8 Rent from me

As I im in the processing of attempting attempting gather evidence but need to know if the second place isn't mold toxic

Feel a bit stuck

Thank you

I also agree with Wandering Rose. I used to ID people for financial reasons. As soon as someone pulled out a copy (of anything, but especially an official ID) a red flag went up. It's simply too easy to photoshop things these days. IMO, you are asking to be treated with suspicion. As others have stated, while most POs can just check you out electronically, maybe they don't want to. What if they don't like you, for whatever reason? Is it really worth it, when it could be a simple fix now?

You have a current and valid address at the section 8 place in Florida, Davsey, so if you don’t think your parents will let you use their address in Virginia, use the Florida one.

And it sounds like you’re looking to transfer section 8, not give it up, but that will take awhile.

If you get pulled over the cop is always going to run you through their databases to see if you have any wants or warrants or if your license is valid. play stupid or Columbp and it shouldn't make a difference

Yes,

I logged into the Georgia DDS website last night and it has my old mailing address from 3 years ago in georgia.

There is an option for 5 bucks on there where one can send it to a mailing address different than the residential address

Caveat maybe that the DMV may not approve mailing it out of state and may flag this.Maybe a P.O Box within the state may be safer

I'm considering heading west and leaving Florida perhaps at some point this summer to perhaps explore the desert

Would it be wise to attempt to find a Georgia P.O Box agency that will allow the Georgia DMV to send a license with just my passport and not ask for proof of residence?

Appreciate it Guys and Gals
Most states will NOT accept a post office box as a residential address. Which is why so many nomads use South Dakota, which has comically loose registration requirements (and only a day or two “residency” requirements).

I am home based in Missouri where the DMV accepts addresses in UPS mailbox centers as a legit residential address. (Mostly because UPS doesn’t call them “boxes” and uses a street address with numbers as if the number was an apartment).

I don’t know how many other states have this same loophole, but I know Missouri doesn’t accept P.O. boxes for license or registration either.

I meant using the P.O Box as a mailing address rather than residential address since on the DDS website it saved the old address in the system and gives option to mail a replacement at an alternate mailing address

Appreciate it ripper
Every DMV in the country, at least in the four or five states I have been licensed in, REQUIRES a residential address for license and registration. No “mailing address” option.