Renewing California tags while in Florida

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davsey85

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals,

I was curious If.anyine may have any suggestions on renewing California tags that expire January of this year while traveling in Florida.

I don't have an address here in Florida and my parents moved to Virginia and I think the old address may have a mail forwarding to Virginia.

Since I have been staying in hotel lots and random places in south Florida I don't really have an address 

.Is there any way to get California plates without driving back?

Thank You

In most states these days you can renew online. Check the Cali DMV website.

Is the registration in your name? Or still in your dad's name?

You think you have a mail forward to VA? You need to make sure where your mail is going!

California will want a smog check and inspection.

It might be easier to get new Virginia registration.

slow2day said:
In most states these days you can renew online. Check the Cali DMV website.

Is the registration in your name? Or still in your dad's name?

You think you have a mail forward to VA? You need to make sure where your mail is going!

@slowday .

Sorry,struggling to reply directly as I seem to get tangled in thr quotes

The vehicle is registered under my name

Originally my dad added me to the ownership and registration in California while using Georgia plates

My license is still Georgia

Then California did an out of state transfer to title and registration to the address just before my mother sold the house and moved to Virginia with my dad

I think my parents have mail forwarding for them but I'm not sure if it was set up for me

Currently I'm in Fort lauderdale,FL staying in hotel lots

Appreciate any input

Thanks guys and gals

California requires smog more often for some vehicles than others. Some vehicles that are relatively clean can get by with every other year or something like that.
My old van and strangely my Datsun 210 (miss that little buzz bomb) required yearly smog tests.
That all said, last year I was able to do everything about renewing my 5 year old expired by a year license online. It took me crawling the CA DMV site for hours to find the right form to fill out. Then I converted that license to a NY one.
No driving test or anything.
So it may be possible if you really dig in the site. Some COVID things make this a bit easier. Since they have made a lot of stuff online only to spare DMV staff too much public contact.