For those with vehicles registered in Texas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx2sturgis

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting on January 1, 2025, vehicles registered in Texas will no longer need to pass an annual safety inspection.

(If the vehicle is registered in a county that requires annual emissions tests, that test will still be required)

Many of our members and the RV and vanliving population that are domiciled in Texas have been dealing with this issue for years, maybe even decades. And the tag/registration renewal was tied in with the safety inspection, so the vehicle tags could go expired in some cases untill the safety inspection was completed.

Some owners were actually returning to get it done, along with other things they needed to do back home, some ignored it, some simply called in or emailed the DMV and put the inspection on temporary hold. Either way, its about to be a non-issue.

So...starting in 2025, you won't have to return to Texas for a vehicle safety inspection.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/tra...g-annual-vehicle-safety-inspections-in-texas/

Well thats sorta good news for my planning, as I was thinking SD better due to the lack of inspections.
Now the cost of insurance may still be an issue, what with all the natural disasters Tx gets vs S Dakota.
Unsure about that.

Even in Texas, insurance rates are usually on a county-by-county basis...so it can vary a LOT from place to place within the state.

But yes, it might be an issue vs other states.

Kinda if they are taken seriously.
One Cdn province I was in really did them right, they'd pull you off the road for rust or windshield cracks (BC) (back in the mid 90’s).

My NC inspection was a “visual” that took 5 minutes tops. For what they get paid you cannot expect any better.

My pet peeve is window tint. Supposedly they will fail you if the front windows are all blacked out limo style but they never do.

That is good news, thanks for posting. It gives me another option as I have relatives in Texas should I decide to change from my current domicile.

The insurance rates will be higher in the Texas coastal area due to hurricanes and flooding from them. They might also be higher in the panhandle due to the extreme thunderstorm activity which produces hail as well as tornados. Of course they are always higher in the larger cities or outskirts of large cities due to more theft and an increase in the chance for collisions as there is a lot more traffic.

Get an insurance estimate first. They are free.

Woohoo! I can take the catalytic converter back off of my truck!

Woohoo! I can take the catalytic converter back off of my truck!
Once your vehicle reaches 25 years old you are exempt from the emission inspection also. My 98 Buick is exempt starting this year and my 99 suburban will be exempt next year. Woohoo...

This is good news; one more government boot heal off our neck. I live in Harris County; wish I didn't, but I do. It's where I park my RV when not on the road. There is an economic advantage for me here. Anyhow, this is good news. All I've had to do with my 88 motor home and 96 Cherokee is headlights, tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals; here's your inspection, seven bucks, please. My 2k Jeep Grand Cherokee requires the emissions test, which is no big deal except for the additional cost.

When I was living in Michigan in 1990s, older cars weren't required to have emissions checks. And if a car failed they (private facilities, non governmental workers) would advise to run the vehicle at a fast idle to heat everything up.

In Tarrytown, NY, back in the mid seventies, a vehicle would always require a headlamp adjustment for an extra $5. Big money back then.

In Nevada, only Clark County (Las Vegas) and Washoe County (Reno/Sparks) require emissions testing. Sparse population interspersed between Reno and Vegas. Those two counties determine the winner in every national election.

This is good news; one more government boot heal off our neck. I live in Harris County; wish I didn't, but I do. It's where I park my RV when not on the road. There is an economic advantage for me here. Anyhow, this is good news. All I've had to do with my 88 motor home and 96 Cherokee is headlights, tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals; here's your inspection, seven bucks, please. My 2k Jeep Grand Cherokee requires the emissions test, which is no big deal except for the additional cost.
How are the exhaust manifold bolts on your 460? Seems like about every 454 or 460 class c owner has issues with them and they are a bear to replace.

I looked at dozens of those older units after I sold my 85’ carbed 350 based 22’ and never could find ne that had headers on so as to get rid of the annoying tick.

Well this is pretty big news and a big deal for sure. The first question that came to my mind when I read the news was " What about that darn check engine light?"
The Dallas Morning News link that tx2sturgis posted didn't say whether that would still be a fail or not. That little light was probably the biggest single reason people wanted to end the inspection system, and it certainly has been one of the biggest moneymakers for car dealership service departments and automotive diagnostic centers for years. Will it go bye-bye along with the windshield wiper replacement and window tint upgrade programs? Anybody know yet?

The check engine light is so famous (or infamous) in Texas that you can buy black t-shirts with the big orange symbol printed on them. No words are necessary -- so many people have spent so many hundreds of dollars and taken so many trips to and from the dealership and the inspection station to make that little light go out that it is recognizable on a t-shirt from across the street .

The inspection shops who were fighting the bill were like "What's the big deal? It's just ten minutes out of your day and a few dollars!"

Right. Good one. HaHa...

Johnny

How are the exhaust manifold bolts on your 460? Seems like about every 454 or 460 class c owner has issues with them and they are a bear to replace.

I looked at dozens of those older units after I sold my 85’ carbed 350 based 22’ and never could find ne that had headers on so as to get rid of the annoying tick.
I had two; I had to weld a nut on to get them out. I had some new ones made from good steel and replaced the stock exhaust manifolds with a cast iron free-flow header type my brother found off of another big block; I'm not sure which engine, but I could ask. I had headers for a while, but they're loud, hot, and don't give much performance until you get the rpm up; not ideal for a motorhome. He (my brother) has an old LEM 430 with the 3-duce intake I'm trying to talk him out of. It runs too. With my present tune and camshaft towing my 2K Jeep Grand Cherokee at 65 on level ground, she does 8.5 to 9.5, but any hills and you're at 7 to 8 mpg and 6 in the mountains. Without the Jeep behind it, I can get 10 on level ground at 65 mph.

Well yours is proof that the old 460 is just about as good as the Triton 6.8 V10. That’s the same mpgs I’ve read many times on the rv forums.
Torque is just as good as well and you are doing it with the C6 3 speed auto.

Amazing that the newer engine and 4 or 5 speed auto (depending on year) doesn’t really do much for a class C.

Thank you for your reply.