An FYI for those intending to register a trailer in TX.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falfrenzy

Reaction score
Spent a fair bit of time on the phone with the tax assesors office about the process to register my stealth trailer ("Utility trailer" in their eyes)

In Texas, if a trailer is under 7500 lbs Gross weight, a safety inspection is not required (applies in Wichita County TX, and seems to jive with the TX DPS Registration manual state wide).

However,

As my title (IL) does not state the weight of the trailer, I will have to go to a weigh station/truck scale (in Texas only per the Assesors office) and get a certified weight receipt document. 

I realize that this is only for the initial title registration process, but throws a wrench in my plans as I am a behind schedule in finishing my trailer (in a friends machine shed currently) and was hoping to just run down to TX before the end of the year and get both titles transferred and get license plates for both with my tow vehicle sans trailer and save gas and tolls through OK.

Not so it seems.

Hope this saves some headache for someone else.

You will have to get a "Safety Inspection" which consists of making sure all you lights work, sometimes they check you brakes, windshield wipers work and blades are in good condition, they are supposed to check your exhaust system, but I've never had anyone look at it, make sure your emergency brake works, horn works , tires need to be good.  Find an independent shop that does inspections and stay away from the Firestones and such places.  You have to have an extra paper when you come from out of state initally and it used to be called a "green slip".  Sheppard Air Force Base is in Wichita Falls so they will be familiar with out of state folks.

I belong also to the Escapees group and have been asking some questions about Texas trailer registration. There are differences among the counties. FYI, much, much better to register in Polk county than Dallas.