How do you carry, if you carry a gun?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dingfelder said:
The Byrna HD Personal Security Device is not the cheapest thing out there, but it looks very effective, easier to use than pepper spray, it can carry multiple loads, and if you buy some of their practice ammo in enough bulk, can be used for training, discouraging animal pests, or even some target practice.

It is also relatively easy to carry, either openly or concealed.

I haven't gotten one myself, but I think I will at some point. I like non-lethal alternatives whenever possible. And I asked the maker a question or two, and he was friendly and quick with answers.

I don’t think the pepper balls are legal in CA so make sure you review laws before visiting. This is also true for our archaic guns laws pertaining to magazine capacity and “assault weapons”.

I normally have 2 have different Magazines available to carry a 15 round or bigger with Hollow Points and a 10 round with the the cheap bullet. Depending on where I am determines which magazine I have loaded. And yes I do carry with a round in the chamber.

I normally have several handguns ready to go at any time, and at least one is within arms reach while traveling. I also will be carrying a 12ga pump (870 Remington :) )  just for extra protection, sometimes just the sound of shucking a shell into the chamber will send a cold chill down the spine of a bad guy.

As always if you carry to need to make you are up on the newest Laws in the states you are traveling through, they change all the time.

I live in a Constitutional Carry State, but still carry a valid CCW permit, it's not excepted in every state because of my state being a Constitutional Carry state. On make sure to know the law.

Something else to think about some calibers are illegal in some states, I have a .380 that is super small and very easy to conceal, and because of its small size some states have it listed as legal.

And the best thing about used a Shotgun for home defense, you shuck a shell, point, pull the trigger, and shuck another shell. LOL

They will get the idea REAL quick.

Most of the posts here deal with hand guns. Hand guns laws very differently between states. You can be totally legal in one state, cross the border and you are committing a felony for just having it. I have not seen too many posts about long guns. I found a site that outlines the laws in each state and most seem to allow people to carry long guns. As some of you pointed out, it then becomes an issue of storage. If you have a gun which is stored in a locked container and the ammo is stored in another locked container, how long would it take you to get it and load it? I would find this delay a deterrent and would pass on carrying a firearm.

I have a double barrel shotgun that I have owned for 40+ years. It can quickly be taken apart, separating the barrel from the stock. If I store it broken down, would it be considered gun parts and not a gun? I spoke with our state patrol and asked them about the legal ways to carry it and they were not sure if that would be legal in some states either. If you are pulled over for speeding, many offices ask if you are carrying a weapon....if you answer no, and you have one, that is a felony in some states.

I am thinking pepper spray is the way to go......but even that is considered a defensive weapon in some states. Seems the laws favor the crooks more than honest people.

I bought a Glock 48 for the purpose of carrying with me in my travels.
Plus I figure I can stop by a range on occasion and squeeze of some rounds, keep my ammo from getting stale lol.
I live in VA and will get a CCA before leaving, I forget off the top of my head, but there are two other states I can get one also and have pretty good coverage.
In states with no reciprocity, I'll be mounting a safe in my van to stow it in.
This is a good site for checking reciprocity:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/

Edit: In reply to above, in any state if I got pulled over I'd tell the officer I have a weapon in the vehicle, if it's a reciprocal state, that I have a CCA, if not, that I have a CCA in VA, the weapon is locked in a safe while I'm travelling through their state.

I’m not want to tell you what to do but when you are a state that is on friendly to guns you are to make sure that you’re still away place is away from the ammunition and the gun is disassembled in someway. That might satisfy most officials who would find it. And find it they will

crofter said:
What is your life worth? Is your life worth spending a year in jail so you and your loved ones can continue living? 
-crofter
[quote pid='506275' dateline='1599689781']

By all means just give the criminal your money and posesions and be sure to thank them for taking the burden of them off your hands.
 After all you have no right to them if they want them
[/quote]

My post from last September is taken out of context here, and has been cropped without correctly noting that. You should always know the laws of the state you are in. 
-crofter

Re: How do you carry: I remember reading the law that said if you are hunting, camping or fishing you don't have to have a permit. The way the law read is you have to have it in a secure place away from your reach. If someone has read this or know what I'm talking about please post.

Gun Laws change all the time. You need to do some research and see if where you go allows that.

Different States and Federal agencies have different laws. Some Cities have different Laws, like I said do your research and make sure you are legal.

I’m a CCW holder since 1987 here is what I use.

Console Vault in car
Crossbreed IWB holster on person urban environment
Kenai Chest holster or Hill People Gear Original Kit Bag v2.0 on person wilderness

Link to pic in use of the Hill people kit. I assume there is a pull tab for your off hand & using a cross body draw.

Post in thread 'Hill People Gear Kit Bag or V2 experience?' https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/hill-people-gear-kit-bag-or-v2-experience.74792/post-752585
& scroll down to post #4.

Link to kenai chest holster in use (open carry) again requires a cross body draw.

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenaiholster/

But why use a chest holster for open carry when you could use a hip holster with a more reliable draw?

I could go for this one.

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/shop-all/supertuck-iwb-holster.html

The chest carry options make a ladies biggest distraction useless, wheras a low cut shirt and a hip carry are supposed to be more effective at concealing the carry on a female frame.
-crofter

And just sayin it's nuts that we qualify for CCW with a hip holster and then immediately switch to a cross draw holster position for real life carry situations. The training center I use in Nevada refuses to train anyone using a cross draw holster for safety reasons.
-crofter

Matlock said:
Either way a loaded firearm inside a vehicle is breaking the law in general terms so that can be a problem.

Wow.
Surprised no one commented on that one.

Then again....not surprised
So much for "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

I remember when it was common to see a rifle in the back window of pick up trucks at High Schools.   Yep, the south...Georgia.
Never remember one incident of one ever being stolen (or used).  My have times changed.  Culture shock.

Matlock said:
...An option to consider is "open carry". Some states do not allow open carry. Either way a loaded firearm inside a vehicle is breaking the law in general terms so that can be a problem. So protecting yourself and your money to and from a vehicle is a different matter than protection while driving. With open carry you will need to unload the firearm in the vehicle. This may vary in some jurisdictions...
Link to AZ gun laws site, scroll down to open carry, allows loaded or unloaded inside the vehicle in AZ as long as it is visible from the outside, with the listed exceptions. Please verify the legal status as gun laws are subject to change.
-crofter

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/arizona-gun-laws/#Open_Carry_in_Arizona

@MiamiC70

Thanks for the tip on the kit bag. My order is in. I have been thinking about having a chest bag for items that I need to access while on the move, but never looked into it whenever I'm not out and about.

I'm bookmarking the Kenai.

PeterPiper said:
I hope you're kidding.
You will want to check the laws for yourself as they are subject to change. This was current for Arizona when I checked today, and is state law not local or federal.
-crofter

Status
Not open for further replies.