How do I Deal with a Surgery

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crave

Reaction score
Talked to my nurse today and found out that they can only go to a residence, not sure if this is company, Medicare or Medicaid policy.

For now it seems I'm stuck in Fort Collins, all I can do is hope the situation doesn't spiral out of control before I can leave.

Crave - check to see if the 'home health care' has an actual office. Instead of them coming to you, maybe you could go to them...wherever their offices are.

Either that or ask if the dressings can be changed at a walk-in clinic or other health care provider.

Explain that it would be more convenient for you if you came to them rather than the other way around.

AirBnB or couchsurfing for a place to rest and have the nurses over?  Any social services agency that might help with a temporary residence for you?  Short-term roommate situation?  

Or would you just be able to go to a clinic as an outpatient to be checked there?  Wondering if you'd be able to park in the hospital parking lot for a while...

Just a few ideas which may or may not be helpful.

Residence? Your residence is where you live, no matter where! I'm an RN and I've provided homecare (wound care) to a patient in an RV. I've also done home health care in the lobby of a big hospital (I wasn't going into Liberty City in Florida in the middle if the night to restart an IV). That's bullshit and really pisses me off! I was not able to find the answer about denying care to the homeless, but if it were me, I would have already been online and on the phone to my congressman and my senator. Also, contact the news media and make sure the head of the home healthcare agency knows what you're doing.

I'm serious about hell raising. I've done my fair share of it and sometimes the only way to get help is to be the squeaky wheel.

All my best and be well,
Ted

just thinking outside the box a bit, but would it be possible to rent a space at an RV park. that might give you an official "residence address" to satisfy the requirements of the weekly visit

I'd also try couchsurfing. if you explain that you'd only be there once a week for a few hours, it may be super budget friendly and very do-able.

they have a 'general' discussion forum where you can post things like this

ps. I'm a couch-surfing freak and have hosted about 40 people so far and couch surfed internationally at about that many homes. it is an amazing program

How about meeting them at a homeless shelter?  Technically, you can legitimately claim to be homeless.  I can't imagine they could refuse to serve the homeless.  Some lawyer would be all over them with a lawsuit.

Just camp in the hospital parking lot? I've been to hospitals at all hours, and the parking lots always seemed to be at least half-full, even at night.

Otherwise, some RV parks accept short-term residents.

Parking lot of homeless shelter?

I know of a couple of hospitals that will let you dry camp in the parking lot when getting treatment.

For the surgery I had last year I stayed in an RV park near the hospital for a month. Social Services may even be able to help you pay for it.

But yes, this solo traveler with low income is aware of the difficulties of getting medical care while legally considered homeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this topic/thread should be renamed to be Health and Hygiene... where do we ask medical situation questions? Today I learned the only solution to fixing my shoulder so that I can continue my inpendence, and lifestyle, doing for myself, and kayaking and hiking is to have a "total shoulder replacement." I freaked out. I cussed. Geez. How do I do that? They want me to do six to eight weeks of Physical Therapy, then surgery with arm in sling all the time for six weeks, then six to eight more weeks of Physical Therapy. I am in my son's driveway right now, and I suspect when I say I would like to stay until maybe January, he and his wife will freak. I don't know what to do. Others tell me, I need to be in a bedroom initially, and I know from not being able to wipe my own butt when I had my right knee surgery, that things could get difficult. And I know from having a numb arm for several days after one carpal tunnel surgery, that being one-armed makes everything difficult, you can't open a can of food, hard to dress, forget bras. I am feeling trapped and challenged, again. It depresses me to be in such a spot. Anyone in the Seattle area who might be able to assist with some of this? I was told I could get Uber to pick me up and take me to my van after surgery. In the past of of my kids planned to pick me up after surgery, but didn't show... and when I called him, he told me to take a cab. Isn't that something you might tell your mom when she asks for help... up front. Shoot me now.

Blanch said:
For the surgery I had last year I stayed in an RV park near the hospital for a month. Social Services may even be able to help you pay for it.

NOT all hospitals will do this.  I was parked on a side street next to the hospital in Raton, NM, and security ran me off.

Nothing was outside my van... I was just using the computer and planned to close up and sleep for the night and move on.  Nope, not allowed.  I even told them I had been inside for an appointment and had taken some pain meds and could not drive just yet.  Nope.  Didn't care.  I drove a couple blocks away and found another spot for the night.

swankiewheels said:
Today I learned the only solution to fixing my shoulder so that I can continue my inpendence, and lifestyle, doing for myself, and kayaking and hiking is to have a "total shoulder replacement." I freaked out. I cussed. Geez. How do I do that? They want me to do six to eight weeks of Physical Therapy, then surgery with arm in sling all the time for six weeks, then six to eight more weeks of Physical Therapy . . . Shoot me now.

Have you gotten a second opinion? If not, I recommend seeing an osteopath or a doctor who specializes in sports medicine. Don't take their word for it. In fact, after receiving such drastic recommendations, I'd probably seek out a third and fourth opinion.

If you are a member of escapees club and can plan ahead to travel to Livingston Texas and meet their requirements they have a care facility that was created by donations and volunteers just for these situations. They even have a handicap van to run you to appointments. You can read all about their care center on their site and even volunteer for a free site. I know this probably won't work for you but hope others thinking about cheap RV living would take these things into consideration before hand and see if it would work for them.

Remember when I broke my right elbow and wrist (I'm right handed)? It happened in August and I had 4 surgeries for it over a period of a year and was in physical therapy for it from October until January. I boondocked alone from August until November

From August until November I could NOT move a single one of my fingers--not a tenth of an inch!!  My arm was immobile for so long my shoulder locked up (although it was undamaged in the accident) and the physical therapy to break it loose was far worse than the elbow or wrist--and they were horrible!!

My surgeon told me if I didn't kill myself in physical therapy I would lose total use of my right hand and arm. So I did. I thank god for my physical therapist--he was a gift from heaven. I'm also grateful for the gift of determination to get my hand back that kept me plowing through all the pain.

Everything you fear happened to me.

I did what I had to do:

1. I bought an electric can opener.
  2. For three months I was in the Sierras and not driving my truck and not enough solar. I learned to fuel my Honda, change the oil and start it with just my left hand. 
  3. I never turned once in my sleep for 4 months--I laid flat on my back, my arm supported in one position.
  4. I learned to wipe with my left hand.
  5. I learned to sign and write with my left hand.
  6. I pecked on the computer with my left hand.
  7. I cut off my sleeve and wore sweat pants. 
  8. I asked for help when it was available and I just had to have it. 
  9. One of the holes from the initial surgery would not heal, I changed it's dressing on my right elbow alone, every day, the whole time. That was the last surgery a year later, he had to cut it all out right down to the bone. Then it healed.
You do what you have to do and you find a way through it. You're really tough, you can do it.

Latest posts