Here's my llittle rig I've had since it was brand new in '94

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
I recently got it repainted, with some dents and dings taken out.  It's such a good running truck, easy on gas, V6, 177,000 miles on it now.  I just have to figure out what I can afford to build into the "bed".  I've gotten one person that may help me.  There plenty I can do if there's someone to guide me, and I have to budget for the materials as well.  I do have some savings so cross that bridge when I come to it.  That is a 6 foot bed thank goodness, and I also have the trailer hitch on there.  Lots of new things under the hood, some major things replaced.  Same Tranny still working fine but have to be prepared ya know ;)

51176420460_a227384c3e_m.jpg
51176117884_1b731a678c_m.jpg
51176118074_e2256284b3_m.jpg

Looking good! There are lots of options but only you know exactly what your needs are!

Nice little truck. With a shell it would make an economical tour vehicle. I'm getting ready to wander for the next 5 months and with gas prices going higher I kind of wish I had a smaller vehicle like yours. My van only averages about 14-15MPG.

Many years ago I travelled in an '87 Toyota pu with a shell and one of those add-on canvas extenders. It was like a tent that covered the raised camper opening and the lowered tailgate so you had about 1-1/2' more room. The doorway included a screened opening like in a tent. I lived in that for about 3 months one summer.

Mine is similar with a Pendeliner in a full size bed with 135k miles.  Replaced all hoses and fluids, paint job waist of money, good old boy enjoyed his hooch too much.  Dings and dents don't bother me.  Somebody gonna make you offer, walk away my 2 good neighbors have the new fancy, smancy Ford pick ups paid for or not.

bullfrog said:
Looking good! There are lots of options but only you know exactly what your needs are!
Hi Bullfrog,

Yes, "needs" are much different than my wants so it's funny you should mention them.  This a.m. it's going through my mind what I actually need to be comfy enough.  My first thought is a bed.  I sleep on a memory foam mattress that was very inexpensive, and it's pretty good.  It is heavy though, so I'm leaning toward regular foam mat, or possible air mattress as I did sleep on one for at least a year or two, counting camp trips, and at home.  Just for an example ;)  I'll be making a list, and just list my absolute needs.  Some things can be added or subtracted when I really know how much room/weight I can carry in my truck ;)

This is maybe out of my league, but it is something I am going to look into, as far as costs/materials, and whether or not I can maybe at least come close to this ;)  The door on the back is what would be so much easier for me to get in and out of.  I haven't seen the inside, and that wood looks too expensive for me, but we'll see ;)

Attachments

• cool camper.JPG
    cool camper.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 30
slow2day said:
Nice little truck. With a shell it would make an economical tour vehicle. I'm getting ready to wander for the next 5 months and with gas prices going higher I kind of wish I had a smaller vehicle like yours. My van only averages about 14-15MPG.

Many years ago I travelled in an '87 Toyota pu with a shell and one of those add-on canvas extenders. It was like a tent that covered the raised camper opening and the lowered tailgate so you had about 1-1/2' more room. The doorway included a screened opening like in a tent. I lived in that for about 3 months one summer.
Wonderful!  That sounds like an excellent idea if I can't have a DIY tall enough (afford it) although I don't know cost of the "extension material" :)  I see you have an F150, 93!!  There's a heck of a lot to be said for the older vehicles in my opinion.  My full coverage insurance is affordable, gas mileage very good, and maintenance including some major replacements are lower cost as well ;)

Zmann said:
Mine is similar with a Pendeliner in a full size bed with 135k miles.  Replaced all hoses and fluids, paint job waist of money, good old boy enjoyed his hooch too much.  Dings and dents don't bother me.  Somebody gonna make you offer, walk away my 2 good neighbors have the new fancy, smancy Ford pick ups paid for or not.
I went ahead on the exterior because I didn't know if  would get to be on the road full-time, and I guess my pride made the end decision.  I'm glad I don't have a car payment because when I figured that all out, it was cheaper for me to just fix whatever goes wrong with mine old sweetie ;)

G0ldengirl68 said:
This is maybe out of my league, but it is something I am going to look into, as far as costs/materials, and whether or not I can maybe at least come close to this ;)  The door on the back is what would be so much easier for me to get in and out of.  I haven't seen the inside, and that wood looks too expensive for me, but we'll see ;)

The campers built with wood can look nice but they have some drawbacks besides maybe being expensive to build.

Building them so they are weatherproof can be a problem. Water can get into a lot of places when you're going down the road at 60mph.

They would also tend to be heavier and with a smaller truck, that's important.

If you travel rough roads much, you may have trouble keeping them together (seams/cracking/leaks).

JMHO

Yeah get a one piece fiberglass topper. I would do the junk yard, craig's list, and farmers field search. Pick one up cheap. Highdesertranger

all, welcome point JMHO!! I would like to travel mostly paved roads (backroads, freeways) but you never know where you might end up ;)

I need to look more into those foam "thingies", sorry about using the high-tech language, lol! But those must be very light, but my first thought is them just blowing off! I need to study up on them obviously and will do that after I run some errands ;)

Reminds me of when I was in my 20s and a bunch of us went up the Chetco to party and lay in the Sun. This one guy had a truck with a little topper/canopy, and I was behind him driving back. Still daylight because we of course had to get ready to go to the bar later, lol ;) His canopy looked kind'a loose, and all of a sudden, on a corner to the left, it flew off down an embankment, LOL! One of those "you'd have to be there" times ;)

^
West of Taos there is the Rio Grande Gorge and the first time I drove over the bridge I saw a mangled aluminum shell down among the rocks several hundred feet down. It's probably fairly common for those things to come off.

slow2day said:
^
West of Taos there is the Rio Grande Gorge and the first time I drove over the bridge I saw a mangled aluminum shell  down among the rocks several hundred feet down. It's probably fairly common for those things to come off.
I loved a trip I got to take to AZ this last November.  I didn't get to see much, flew down, and my gal-friend and her boyfriend were glued to the TV most of the time.  I hadn't seen her in 30 some years, and we didn't have much in common anymore.  Mostly because she had gotten pretty ill with a few things ;( but it was still good to see her, and get to take a walk, every, single night in that lovely air!  Apache Junction is all I really saw.  

I'd love to see the "real" AZ, "out there" ya know ;)

G0ldengirl68 said:
 This one guy had a truck with a little topper/canopy, and I was behind him.....  His canopy looked kind'a loose, and all of a sudden, on a corner to the left, it flew off down an embankment

WOW...you're lucky it didn't hit YOU !!!!

Btw...nice looking truck :heart:

Thanks @Gypsy108, I guess the @ sign doesn't work here, but thank you again.  I love my truck and bought it new in 94.  Seems I'm not big on getting a new car every year.  Couldn't have afforded it the hard times that came along, so I'm grateful to have this one.

Yeah, some of the crazy things that happen in a person's life, but way funny looking back.  I had quite a few near misses.  Maybe there are guardian angels ;)

I don't have a garage or anyplace to store that Canopy so I'm thinking to ask Dan (auto-body guy) to repaint it for me, and put it back on, with those nuts and bolts again. Seems the smart thing at this point. No guarantee on a "DIY" build to make it a bit taller, and have a locking door. I did see one video of a guy that made some nice little latches to lock it from the inside. Have to figure a way to pull up that tailgate from the inside. But I could then sleep in it this Summer, without the cost of a tent. Sold all my camp gear, or gave most of it away last Summer.

If I don't connect with him by phone today, I'll drive over there. I need to know for sure he's still got it, and, if he can put it back on for me. Of course I'll pay him to do that. He did an amazing job on my old truck, and charged me very little comparatively speaking ;)