Here's my llittle rig I've had since it was brand new in '94

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure I will, gettin everything organized in my camping containers ;) I'm doing my best to go "light", just needs, see how good I am at that ;) I have a twin airmattress for the tent, but still not sure what I can do for a mattress pad In the truck. The 2 inch memory foam topper I had for my previous mattress, even folded over sinks right to the bottom. Doug mentioned something I think I understood, will know more when we meetup. Building something that has some "material" that has a bit of give to it, like in a lawn chair ;) Sounds good to me ;) Then using the memory foam too if I think I'll even need it ;)

I’m excited for you Denise !   Why can’t you just use a futon mattress if your using the futon frame ?

I bought a piece of foam runner that is fairly "stiff" and cut it to the size of my bed on my bandsaw. I was concerned before I actually slept on it that it might not be comfortable...too hot...too soft...too firm, too whatever... but it works great. At 4" think it's just the right amount of support for me. You don't actually need a bandsaw to cut the stuff...in fact, an electric carving knife is supposed to be the perfect tool for the job.

I know I'll miss out on a lot, mostly, meeting some new friends, but I have too many doubts. I so appreciate the help I've been given here, it's just not for me. I am not even willing to go through with this camping trip, let alone leave my "sense of security" here, permanently.

I admire all those that can and do live as Nomads, Denise

Oh my Denise !.....Well you have my number if you need......We'll be moving on to new location(s).......Stay Safe.........

It is good to know your limitations. Hope you continue to try to do new and different things but as long as you are happy with what you have enjoy it to the fullest. Take a nice long hot shower, get some ice cream out of the freezer and enjoy the air conditioning, we are all a little envious of being able to do that while we enjoy the other things this lifestyle has to offer.

Thanks for that bullfrog, leaving that message was the hardest thing to do, first with Doug, then the folks here. You are so right about doing new and different things and especially about admitting I have different limitations now, or any at all. I will think about you "out there" and anyone coming through my area, I would love to meetup for some coffee, Denise

Maybe you don’t have to loose the security of your apartment.... you could go on vacations whenever you feel the need to get away...like most normal people do.... but what do I know about normal... if I ever get an apartment I hope I meet up with nomads to get out in nature ... I feel like I have a bond with some here and I really want to meet you and experience this lifestyle in some way... I feel I owe it to my soul...my spirit says to go... it CRAVES for nature... but I am crippled with insecurity...

abnorm said:
Oh my Denise !.....Well you have my number if you need......We'll be moving on to new location(s).......Stay Safe.........
Hi Doug, I do hope you got my message on your text.  I wouldn't just announce that here without telling you first.  Happiest of trails to you and Paulette, and 2 kitties, Denise

You know what's best for you, but it saddens me that you've decided you can't do this without having tried it for even a weekend. Perhaps as Gypsy said above, you could go on vacations and still keep the security of the apartment. That way, you might gain the confidence and knowledge that it is something you could be comfortable with...or you might not, but you'd know for sure one way or the other and not be haunted by the dreaded "what if's".
Ken