I'm new here :)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhianntp

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am a long time watcher of Bob and many other YouTuber nomads. I am in the process of downsizing my life and cost of living in advance of the big changes I seek. I currently live in a mobile home I own. My plan is to use the proceeds from the sale of this home to purchase a used class C or smallish class A. I really want/need the ability to stand up or I'd consider a van of sorts. This will be a early-mid 2000's vehicle based on the budget. Last fall I picked up a 1991 Ford Coachmen Leprechaun class C with high miles and some water damage I've been repairing as I go. So far mechanically the engine and tranny appear to be near flawless according to my mechanic. The purpose of this motorhome is simply to temporarily have a place to stay between sale of my house and purchase of the new vehicle. I'm learning great deal about how all these systems work and greatly enjoy solving issues as they arise. Attaching an image of it with new tires from last week. Look forward to reading lots of threads and helping anyone any way I can.
Thanks,

William  :)

Attachments

• RVmarch.jpg
    RVmarch.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to the CRVL forums William! The Leprechaun looks like it's in great shape! You may want to keep it and live it for a while to see how you like the amount of space and the lifestyle especially since it's in good condition mechanically and you're fixing the water damage.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Definitely going to be moving into it while its parked next to the mobile home to get a lot more experience before puling the trigger. There is still a lot of work ahead in roof patching and fixing damage inside though. I only paid $1000 for it so I look at the project as an inexpensive crash course in RV101 :)

Welcome to the CRVL Forum   :)

It sounds like you'll have more fun with this Lep than you would a brand new RV right off the lot.  It's a great way to
learn and it sounds like you got a deal on it. 

There is a lot to be learned when dealing with an older used RV.  And there is no shortage of other owners with them that you can share & swap stories and how to's.   You won't get this so much with brand new stuff. 

If you haven't watched this Youtube Video...."Where RV's Go To Die" you can learn a lot by watching and listening closely
to it a few times.  It is located south of Lexington, KY.  You can pick up a lot of tips as they speak of what led to the sad end of several of these rigs.  

All the best with your rig and happy safe travels !

Welcome.

That actually looks like a fun rig. Cosmetically nice looking, and it sounds like it runs well. Like others said, you might want to try it out for a while before buying your second rig. You'll learn about RVs, and will also learn a lot about yourself and the RV lifestyle, which may guide your decision of what type of rig you want for the long term.

This reminds of Bob's video about setting a pretend van in your house, except you get to experience the real thing for a bit. Bigger than a van, but that will show you whether you can handle a space that size, want to go smaller, or need to go bigger. I'm personally someone who would feel claustrophobic in a van, but love a 30-foot fifth wheel. Each person has their own preferences as far as how much space they need and what type of travel they prefer. Some people prefer travelling fast and seeing a lot of stuff; other people prefer staying in the same spot for a couple of weeks at a time, and traveling 50 miles away for another two weeks.

Good luck on your journey.

I suspect there is alot of vehicle there in the Class C for $1,000.00 !!
How bad is the roof---down to the floor/windows? Nice looking-- as best I
can see on the outside. Price some vans-- and this Class C, even after
repairs, may be a good deal.

Good luck!! t

It's an interesting point barleyguy makes about the type of travel one chooses to do and how that may influence the choice of rig.  I started out in my Dad's hand me down Ford Van.  Dad got it as his first car and I got it in school days. (story of it in my Profile) Dad kept the Van up as his week end camper as he owned a car for work by this time.  The Van was under the car port most of the time. 

When he gave it to me he had a bunch of automotive & rv magazines.  One was a Car & Driver that focused on Vans and how European young people were traveling about in VW Campers.  Published somewhere in the later 60's.   One story was about a couple and their travels while adjusting to life in the Van.   In their story they mentioned the various other types of people they met and their rigs and lifestyles.   The writer of the story spoke of Camping A,  Camping B, and Camping C.  

A,   was the young energetic kids who could afford a used Van to hit the road in and just meander about sight seeing at random.  When night came they would rough camp anywhere the could find and move on the next morning.  (some call this stealth camping when in the cities)  They may take in the sites in the cities or roam the country side and the miles traveled depended on which ever.

B, was a middle aged more settled kind who had a larger more purpose build self contained rv.  As these people were in their careers they traveled with a well thought out itinerary.  These folks may have visited travel & tourism offices or Libraries to learn of what was to be seen and planned their journeys and even camping sites thru this research.  As they had limited time before having to return to work,  they worked out a plan to use their time efficiently.

C, was the older set yet where they may have had two or three camp grounds that they ma move thru during the nice weather months of the year.  The camp grounds and socializing there was their primary interest.  They had already seen the sites and got the Tee Shirts in their earlier times.  These intervals in the various camp grounds were more like meet up 
events with old friends.  They may own a larger Class A or C or a travel trailer towed with a Pickup.  But these were homes away from home for limited travel.

Here at CRVL  we occasionally speak of the 2-2-2 system.  It works great for nomads or retired seniors.  Basically,  you break camp and travel no more than a total of 2 hours of driving and take in sites you would like to see.  Plan to hit the road after the morning work traffic commute so the road isn't as crowded.  The time you are not driving doesn't count.
So in 5 or 6 hours 2 hours will be behind the wheel.  

By 2pm you will be looking to be pulling into campground and get a good choice of space.   (this is the second 2)

Once in camp, you will spend a couple of days relaxing, fishing, boating, hiking, etc.  In the evening you will be charting
the next leg of your journey.  You may sit around a campfire with others learning of each others travels and some must see's.  After 2 days in camp, the next morning you will break camp and start this process all over again.  

In the bottom link below in the "links section" at the upper left there is a section...."Trip Planning".  If you visit these you will see how easy it is to plan a journey. You may be asked how far you would drive for side trips to see places of interest.
These will allow you to "virtual trip" just like you were actually driving by some place of interest.  It could make a big difference in your traveling.  I put this portal of info together based on my Dad's & my travels and experiences.  I wish I had had all of this to work with when I was first starting out.

eDJ_ said:
It's an interesting point barleyguy makes about the type of travel one chooses to do and how that may influence the choice of rig.  I started out in my Dad's hand me down Ford Van.  Dad got it as his first car and I got it in school days. (story of it in my Profile) Dad kept the Van up as his week end camper as he owned a car for work by this time.  The Van was under the car port most of the time. 

When he gave it to me he had a bunch of automotive & rv magazines.  One was a Car & Driver that focused on Vans and how European young people were traveling about in VW Campers.  Published somewhere in the later 60's.   One story was about a couple and their travels while adjusting to life in the Van.   In their story they mentioned the various other types of people they met and their rigs and lifestyles.   The writer of the story spoke of Camping A,  Camping B, and Camping C.  
Here at CRVL  we occasionally speak of the 2-2-2 system.  It works great for nomads or retired seniors.  Basically,  you break camp and travel no more than a total of 2 hours of driving and take in sites you would like to see.  Plan to hit the road after the morning work traffic commute so the road isn't as crowded.  The time you are not driving doesn't count.
So in 5 or 6 hours 2 hours will be behind the wheel.  

By 2pm you will be looking to be pulling into campground and get a good choice of space.   (this is the second 2)

Once in camp, you will spend a couple of days relaxing, fishing, boating, hiking, etc.  In the evening you will be charting
the next leg of your journey.  You may sit around a campfire with others learning of each others travels and some must see's.  After 2 days in camp, the next morning you will break camp and start this process all over again.  

In the bottom link below in the "links section" at the upper left there is a section...."Trip Planning".  If you visit these you will see how easy it is to plan a journey. You may be asked how far you would drive for side trips to see places of interest.
These will allow you to "virtual trip" just like you were actually driving by some place of interest.  It could make a big difference in your traveling.  I put this portal of info together based on my Dad's & my travels and experiences.  I wish I had had all of this to work with when I was first starting out.

Great post.

I'm currently in Group B, though my job is on the Internet so I'm not rushed to get back anywhere. I also practice 2-2-2, except my first 2 is 200 miles rather than 2 hours.  "Travel less than 200 miles, arrive by 2 PM, stay at least 2 days".

Thanks everyone :) 
I really am blessed to have found a very affordable and so far mechanically quite reliable RV to cut my teeth on. The odometer has 113,000 miles on it. Not sure how much more it has left, but it runs better than my car which is 10 years newer with the same mileage. Has the Ford 460 in it with none of the common problems I've heard about.. maybe they were addressed at some point? I suspect someone took care of this well, at least mechanically. Don't know the history of it though. Interesting that they spent the money to convert it to the new refrigerant system for the engine/dash A/C which still works good. That makes me think its been quite reliable all its life to justify that kind of investment.  Who knows though :)

Rhianntp, that 460 probably has quite a bit of life in er. My truck has over 500,000 miles and runs like a top. I keep it up pretty well. Change oil frequent, don’t let things get behind on maintenance wise. I have a diesel myself, but that 460 is a workhorse. Downsizing would make your life on the road easier and simpler. Fuel mileage can limit your range of travel. My next vehicle will probably be a van. But if you can make what you have work, your ready for adventure!

Latest posts