Celebrating 20 years in a motorhome :) . I have a close friend who has been a van dweller forever...does that count?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camperdan

Reaction score
Hello everyone, glad to be here. What a great resource for newbies, and for folks with lots of experience and/or skills to share.
My current home of 7 years is a classic....1984 Holiday Rambler class A, 33 ft. Before that a 21 ft class C for 13 years. I feel
the need to downsize to a 22-25 ft class C for my final RV in the next couple of years. The primary reason is to have something
that will easily tow a car because the HR is too old a drive train and she is so heavy that just getting herself up the grades from
1800 ft to 7-8000 ft in late spring is a challenge . I need to give my daily driver (250cc Kawasaki moto) before I see 2 more
birthdays. I circulate between southern AZ for winter, and northern AZ (7000 ft) for summer and fall.

Our 1983 Barth 28’ motor home we lived in full time the last 20 years has gone on to its next life with another owner. It worked out well for us as it has allowed us to save enough along with living simply to look forward to the years we have left most likely continuing to live in an RV full or part time. We started full timing a few years before I semi retired at 53 years old and really have few if any regrets.

Last edited:
Hey Bullfrog and mate, Now I feel like I could really enjoy being part of this community. Just learning to navigate this site could take a while, but I'm game . I have actually seen a couple of Barths. Can't be many left. Tell me what your current rig is. Did you stick with motorhomes. It seems
that, at least for me, once a motorhome guy, always a motorhome guy. Where do you winter, summer?

We spent the first years traveling so the motorhome worked well as there is very little set up and take down. As we started working seasonal jobs where we sat for months at a time it became a pain to keep fresh fuel, moving parts moving, tires round and rubber parts flexible. We eventually gave up and parked the motorhome to use as a seasonal apartment and bought a tent then built a truck topper camper then bought a used manufactured 18’ camper then a new manufactured 25’ camper and now finally building a toyhauler with a 12’ camper section/12’ flat bed section. I would not recommend buying a new manufactured camper as in my opinion most are a poorly built waste of money. We have usually spent summers working in southern Utah and winters south of Tucson at Caballo Loco. Now we have moved out of the motorhome and will be moving onto a portion of a property we bought for our daughter and her family in Tucson. Whether we continue to travel will mainly be determined by our physical health and ability to drive. I promised myself after dealing with aging parents driving I would quit doing long road trips at the age of 75 and I just turned 72 so we will see! Lol!!!

Hello everyone, glad to be here. What a great resource for newbies, and for folks with lots of experience and/or skills to share.
My current home of 7 years is a classic....1984 Holiday Rambler class A, 33 ft. Before that a 21 ft class C for 13 years. I feel
the need to downsize to a 22-25 ft class C for my final RV in the next couple of years. The primary reason is to have something
that will easily tow a car because the HR is too old a drive train and she is so heavy that just getting herself up the grades from
1800 ft to 7-8000 ft in late spring is a challenge . I need to give my daily driver (250cc Kawasaki moto) before I see 2 more
birthdays. I circulate between southern AZ for winter, and northern AZ (7000 ft) for summer and fall.
Hi nice to meet you! I hope to be in Arizona myself with my children in the next close future. 13 to 18 months time. Hopefully. I want a step van to start, I have it planned out already lol. Daughter is not happy with it but ok. She has other options also. I digress. I used to want a C class with bunks of course. Had one all picked out and just as I kept planning and searching decided to partial build out. some part of me doesn't like the thought of everything being so fixed anymore. I like the thought of building out my own well partial build not a full build out lol. Want to get the children involved too N get them excited by helping building out their new home and really just want to do this life because I've always been a mover a feather in the wind; never really stayed in one place too long. And at my three score and 10 halfway age (that's 35 lol) , it's time to own and no longer waste by renting. And just waste in general no longer do that. Want to get my 13 and 8 yo kids in the no waste mindset. Especially my 13 yo daughter. She's not bad bad but can get there if not led right, now.

Latest posts